Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Old Basra pearls bought in 1973 from Iraq

Dear Forum,

I have a string of 110 Basra natural pearls bought by my father in 1973 in Iraq, the shape of pearls is almost round and they weigh from 1.98 to 3.2 carat and are 5 to 6 mm in size. Color is mixed shades of white. What could be the market price?I am looking for a buyer for it.

Dipti

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Hi DIPTI,

You might want to have a look at the following two sellers of natural pearls, for an idea about market price:

http://www.thepearlcollector.com

https://www.karipearls.com

Remember that these are retail prices. These sellers also buy pearls. If you sell to them, though, you sell at wholesale.

You may wish to have your pearls appraised and sell them at auction, if the appraised value warrants it.

(Please note that this forum is not a venue for selling pearls.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Hi DIPTI,

You might want to have a look at the following two sellers of natural pearls, for an idea about market price:

http://www.thepearlcollector.com

https://www.karipearls.com

Remember that these are retail prices. These sellers also buy pearls. If you sell to them, though, you sell at wholesale.

You may wish to have your pearls appraised and sell them at auction, if the appraised value warrants it.

(Please note that this forum is not a venue for selling pearls.)
    Hi, Thanks for a prompt response. I just wanted to have an idea about their worth. I have some loose pearls and will also want to know are they real natural pearls (pic attached), I found them gritty in tooth test.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I can't know if the loose pearls are natural or cultured by just looking at them. You would need to submit them for testing to a lab that is capable of identifying them (for example, the GIA).

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

DIPTI,

Welcome to the forum. Would you please share a photo of your Basra strand? Pearls usually photo best on something like a white paper towel. True Basra pearls are rare and always a pleasure to see to increase our knowledge, even if we can't estimate a value.

As Pearl Dreams said, we are unable to tell if the 2 pearls are cultured or natural, only a lab can do that.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    DIPTI,

Welcome to the forum. Would you please share a photo of your Basra strand? Pearls usually photo best on something like a white paper towel. True Basra pearls are rare and always a pleasure to see to increase our knowledge, even if we can't estimate a value.

As Pearl Dreams said, we are unable to tell if the 2 pearls are cultured or natural, only a lab can do that.
    Thanks for your response.I am sharing some pictures Name:  0e9d8af6-b388-4938-8b05-b1d524b28ef3.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  121.3 KBName:  4a591842-5a1b-4410-b25b-c5eed9c64d9f.JPG
Views: 121
Size:  126.8 KBName:  7d5de885-297f-4399-ab5e-a4f6ca681d13.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  119.5 KBName:  8d4e1ff8-823d-4d4a-9e32-5af2b3031a76.JPG
Size:  125.8 KBName:  233edfde-8d64-4aed-a4b4-5fb5a133e4f8.JPG
Size:  101.2 KBas desired

One more picture with a different strand which too was bought in 1973 from Basra.Name:  download.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  3.9 KB

DIPTI,

Thank you very much for the additional photos. The pearls have outstanding luster. Also this is an interesting way to finish the necklace. Is it adjustable?

Do you have any of the original paperwork that would have come with the pearls? I recommend you have a lab examine them if possible.

The beautiful woman with her double strand of pearls looks very elegant!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    DIPTI,

Thank you very much for the additional photos. The pearls have outstanding luster. Also this is an interesting way to finish the necklace. Is it adjustable?

Do you have any of the original paperwork that would have come with the pearls? I recommend you have a lab examine them if possible.

The beautiful woman with her double strand of pearls looks very elegant!
    Thanks for your response.This necklace is adjustable.No paper work available.Can you recommend a lab where they can be examined.I reside in India.
    Lady with the double strand is me.This necklace was also purchased in 1973 from Basra ,Iraq by my father.The pearls of double strand necklace are different from single strand ones.Name:  IMG_1046.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  91.9 KBName:  IMG_1046 (1).jpg
Views: 112
Size:  16.5 KB

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member CricketBug's Avatar

That’s a lovely strand, DIPTI, and your earrings are great! That style is high on my list of favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by CricketBug View Post
    That’s a lovely strand, DIPTI, and your earrings are great! That style is high on my list of favorites.
    Thanks!!CricketBug, I have some very beautiful antique pearl jewelry pieces will try to post their pics in a day or so.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Your pearls are beautiful. Check out the GIA website (Gemological Institute of America Inc.) and maybe do "Contact Us" to find out about getting a lab report for your pearls.

https://www.gia.edu/gem-education?gc...SAAEgKn0_D_BwE

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member CricketBug's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DIPTI View Post
    Thanks!!CricketBug, I have some very beautiful antique pearl jewelry pieces will try to post their pics in a day or so.
    Oh! Exciting!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Welcome DIPTI! Your pearls are really lovely Thank you so much for sharing them with us. I am fascinated by the lovely looking luster on the 2 loose pearls ... wow! Looking forward to more photos.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

DIPTI,
    You wear your pearls beautifully! How nice to introduce yourself with a photo! (Beautiful pearls and gorgeous fabrics) It's always a treat to see vintage jewelry with natural pearls. Thank you so much for taking time to share your photos!

It appears there are GIA labratories in India. It seems new labs are opening, too. Probably you can "google" to find locations.

Also, many of the natural pearls offered by KariPearls.com have certificates from the following lab:

Company Name: Gem & Pearl Testing Laboratory
    City/Province: Manama
    Address: Ministry of Commerce
    P.O.Box: PO Box 5479
    International Area Code: 973
    Phone: 973 17533931
    Fax: 973 17536277
    Email: metalgem@bahrain.gov.bh
    Category Activities: GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENTS & MINISTRIES
    Area: Manama
    Industry: GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENTS & MINISTRIES
    Pattye