Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Quote Originally Posted by CricketBug View Post
    The colours look wonderful on you, suchi! I hope the smell dissipates soon.
    Thank you Cricketbug

Quote Originally Posted by SydK View Post
    They look beautiful on you. Hopefully any remaining smell doesn’t last long. I like the red thread.
    Thank you SydK

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Lovely! Sometimes a restring is all it takes to get rid of the offending smell. And I agree, the colors are well suited for you and look fabulous in your neck shot!
    Etsy shop: OceansCove™
    Instagram: OceansCove™
    IGTV: Ocean's Cove™ Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove™
    Pinterest: OceansCove™

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert battah's Avatar

These are really gorgeous! Great colors.

I recently bought some pearls that smelled horrid - my first time getting a batch that smelled really bad, rather than just lingering funk on the temporary thread. I tried a lot of different things to clean them, but in the end just cleaning them well and letting them dry completely seems to have done the trick.
    Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    Lovely! Sometimes a restring is all it takes to get rid of the offending smell. And I agree, the colors are well suited for you and look fabulous in your neck shot!
    Thank you JP. The smell is almost gone now here is a morning shot of the strand. Name:  IMG_20190509_064740.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  41.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by battah View Post
    These are really gorgeous! Great colors.

I recently bought some pearls that smelled horrid - my first time getting a batch that smelled really bad, rather than just lingering funk on the temporary thread. I tried a lot of different things to clean them, but in the end just cleaning them well and letting them dry completely seems to have done the trick.
    Thank you so much Battah i just left them in the open and the smell dissipated.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

I have NO experience with the issue of smelly pearls, but am wondering if putting them in a closed environment with a separate dish of baking soda might help, as it's a great odor absorbent? Like for example, a small dish of baking soda, the pearls on a plate, and a glass dome over ... or a large container with a small dish of baking soda, the pearls next to the dish, and a lid on the container?
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member CricketBug's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suchi View Post
    Thank you JP. The smell is almost gone now here is a morning shot of the strand. Name:  IMG_20190509_064740.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  41.3 KB
    suchi, these are natural colours, as in non-dyed? Either way, the colours are so beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Parrot Lady View Post
    I bought a strand of the purple/green pearls from Kongs, too, and had to run pull them out of the drawer and sniff them. Luckily, no fishy smell. I haven't worn them yet, but here they are with purple studs from Wendy at Pearlescence.

Attachment 66987
    Parrot Lady, what size pearls are your strand? And have you worn them yet? I'm curious to know if you see similar colours as in suchi's strand. They look like great colours!

Cricketbug, my strand is 9-10mm and, no, I haven’t worn it yet. I haven’t even walked it around the house to find the best light. Either Suchi has found perfect light for photographing her strand or mine is not quite as intensely colorful, although all the same colors are there. Mine also seem to be more wrinkled.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyKeshi View Post
    I have NO experience with the issue of smelly pearls, but am wondering if putting them in a closed environment with a separate dish of baking soda might help, as it's a great odor absorbent? Like for example, a small dish of baking soda, the pearls on a plate, and a glass dome over ... or a large container with a small dish of baking soda, the pearls next to the dish, and a lid on the container?
    Thank you CathyKeshi. The smell is gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by CricketBug View Post
    suchi, these are natural colours, as in non-dyed? Either way, the colours are so beautiful!
    Hi CricketBug, colours are natural. Kongs pearl has some more similar strands listed in etsy.

Cricketbug, my strand is 9-10mm and, no, I haven’t worn it yet. I haven’t even walked it around the house to find the best light. Either Suchi has found perfect light for photographing her strand or mine is not quite as intensely colorful, although all the same colors are there. Mine also seem to be more wrinkled.
    Parrotlady i saw these colors only in early morning light, after putting the strand in a white plastic container near the window. In direct sunlight its mostly a dark purple.

That’s a nice size strand. Wouldn’t it be nice to have perfect light for pearls all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by suchi View Post
    Hi CricketBug, colours are natural. Kongs pearl has some more similar strands listed in etsy.
    Thanks, suchi. I’ve been looking at various strands there, but just enjoying “window shopping” at this time.