Default Small Tahitian Pearls

Hello,

I landed on this community while Googling for some Tahitian pearls for my wife. I know she wants black pearls for Mother's Day but she doesn't like big jewelry.

There is a local place here that has a necklace that I am told measures 12x11 and is sort of a gray color and has a little green hint to it. It's nice, but I can't see her wearing this every day. I was looking at this necklace that seems to be the smallest I've come across. https://www.pearlparadise.com/produc...pearl-necklace

Is this the smallest they come?

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Tahitian strands don't get much smaller than this range because the shell is quite large and the pearls are considered on the larger size.

A few years ago we started seeing even small Tahitians in the 6 mm range, but very few strands so far. We wrote about them in Pearl-Guide news last month and I blogged about them in 2016. That said, an 8 mm pearl is less than half the size of a 11 mm pearl. Pearl Dreams put together Volume vs Diameter post here a few years back. You will see a substantial difference between the two.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert 86Corvettegirl's Avatar

I have a couple of Tahitians that are smaller, size 8-10mm graduated. They aren't as heavy as my larger strands of Tahitians & South Seas so they're easier to wear & they will layer nicely with larger pearl strands. I think, generally, the smallest Tahitians are around 8mm.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

That is certainly a beautiful and extremely versatile strand, FrankL.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Personally, I love smaller Tahitians. My sweet spot is 8-10mm. Jeremy had a few strands in the smaller sizes on his website, not sure if they're still available, but they were stunning.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove™
    Instagram: OceansCove™
    IGTV: Ocean's Cove™ Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove™
    Pinterest: OceansCove™

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

There is only one farmer in Tahiti to grow the 5-6 and 6-7 pearls. He sold out almost his whole stock in 2 days. The first new harvest in these sizes are around September this year.
    The funny thing last year March is that I bought 2 strands on day 1 of the Hong Kong Fair. In the evening I decided to buy another strand. Overnight he had decided to double his prices, because of high demand of Japanese customers.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

Supply and demand, I am often on the losing side LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Cees View Post
    There is only one farmer in Tahiti to grow the 5-6 and 6-7 pearls. He sold out almost his whole stock in 2 days. The first new harvest in these sizes are around September this year.
    The funny thing last year March is that I bought 2 strands on day 1 of the Hong Kong Fair. In the evening I decided to buy another strand. Overnight he had decided to double his prices, because of high demand of Japanese customers.
    “No,” Midge said, “I take it back. I wouldn’t get a mink coat the first thing. Know what I’d do? I’d get a string of pearls. Real pearls.” Yes,” Annabel said, slowly. “I think that’s a kind of a good idea. And it would make sense, too. Because you can wear pearls with anything.”