Question “Horseshoe Hoop” Earrings?

I have seen some lovely “horseshoe hoop” earrings here on P-G. I *think* that it is BWeaves that has some beautiful ones, and if I recall correctly, they may have been her mother’s. It may have been in the Show Me Your Pearls in Action thread where this type of hoop was discussed. Although I did a search, I didn’t manage to find the pertinent posts.

My question is, where might plain gold horseshoe hoops be purchased? I did an online search using “horseshoe hoops” and had some rather amusing results, none of which were similar to BWeaves’ ones.

I would so appreciate input!

I think that style is called "huggie". Why, I have zero idea... maybe because it hugs the ear? But try that term

Quote Originally Posted by jesskat View Post
    I think that style is called "huggie". Why, I have zero idea... maybe because it hugs the ear? But try that term
    Thanks, jesskat. I have some huggies and find they're wider than "horseshoe"-style earrings. I would love to be able to interchange some pearls on them. And might lead to more pearls for more variety of earrings. Heh... (Think we need an "angelic" emoji)

Thanks so much, Pearl Dreams! You are a total expert at searching! I tried "horseshoe" and came up with thread titles but not individual posts—and searching through 700+ pages of posts was a tad daunting. How do you refine the parameters of a search so that individual posts result rather than just threads?! I only see a basic search field without advanced options.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

cricketbug,
    Click on the icon of the magnifying glass in the green box at the upper right of the page. That brings up the advanced search page, with further search refinement options.

I usually use the left tab, Search Single Content Type. If I know who made the post, that is useful and narrows the search results. Sometimes I only search a particular forum, or only titles. It's best to use only one keyword.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    cricketbug,
    Click on the icon of the magnifying glass in the green box at the upper right of the page. That brings up the advanced search page, with further search refinement options.

I usually use the left tab, Search Single Content Type. If I know who made the post, that is useful and narrows the search results. Sometimes I only search a particular forum, or only titles. It's best to use only one keyword.
    Well, "Duh" on me! LOL! I didn't think to click on the green search icon before inputting a phrase/word. Many thanks, Pearl Dreams for herding me along in the right direction!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

The horseshoe leverback earring findings were sourced by Sarah at Kojima. I think she got them from Stuller.

https://www.stuller.com/products/248...rce=SiteSearch

I love Sarah's earrings, but I always lose fishhook earrings, so I've asked her to replace the hooks with the horseshoe leverback earring. It's light and easy to wear and very secure. I love that the post goes straight through the ear hole instead of curving. Also, that there is a bit that extends above the post, so the hole is covered and you don't see any pull from the weight of the earring.

Now, the horseshoe leverback earring finding is for attaching a particular dangle. It does not do interchangeable dangles.

For my interchangeable pearl drops, I had Sarah and Kevin (from PoJ) put large eyepins on my pearl drops, and I hang the pearls off diamond hoops I already own. I can only do this on some of my hoops. Other hoops have bits that prevent sliding an eye pin onto them. For the hoops that do work with the eye pins, some are huggies, some are leverbacks, and some are solid hoops with a movable post.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 04-09-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    For my interchangeable pearl drops, I had Sarah and Kevin (from PoJ) put large eyepins on my pearl drops, and I hang the pearls off diamond hoops I already own. I can only do this on some of my hoops. Other hoops have bits that prevent sliding an eye pin onto them. For the hoops that do work with the eye pins, some are huggies, some are leverbacks, and some are solid hoops with a movable post.
    Thanks for the Stuller link, BWeaves. I'll peek around and see if I can find some some hoops there or elsewhere, that can accommodate pearls with larger eye pins. This is half the fun, right?, hunting down the treasures!

Ah, okay, I understand now seeing photos! Rio Grande has some of these in sterling and white gold (look specifically for "lever-back" and there will be some examples):

https://www.riogrande.com/product/st...en-ring/614516
    https://www.riogrande.com/product/14...ounting/678157

Gempacked also has a ton of them, and calls them U-leverbacks:

https://www.gempacked.com/earring-fi...arrings?page=1

Gempacked also has skinnier huggies

Quote Originally Posted by jesskat View Post
    Ah, okay, I understand now seeing photos! Rio Grande has some of these in sterling and white gold (look specifically for "lever-back" and there will be some examples):

https://www.riogrande.com/product/st...en-ring/614516
    https://www.riogrande.com/product/14...ounting/678157

Gempacked also has a ton of them, and calls them U-leverbacks:

https://www.gempacked.com/earring-fi...arrings?page=1

Gempacked also has skinnier huggies
    jesscat, thank you so much! I'll go explore these links (and sites) more. I've never heard of gempacked.com before. Eeeek! This is so exciting! I could even buy some that have an open ring on the bottom and have my jeweler remove it and buff it to remove any roughness.

Welcome!! I use Gempacked for a ton of things that Rio Grande doesn't have - mostly higher-end findings. Their prices are pretty competitive, and I can definitely vouch for their quality

Great to know, the quality is good, jesskat! Thanks again.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

OOOOO, Sarah has a couple of gorgeous pairs of earrings with the horseshoe lever finding up on Kojima. If they didn't already look like earrings I already own from Kojima, I would snap them up.

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 6.59.46 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 7.00.00 AM.jpg

Here's some good photos of how the finding looks.

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 7.01.55 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 7.02.17 AM.jpg

I love that this finding looks good from the back, and doesn't poke me if I'm wearing headphones or laying down.

Gaaaah! BWeaves, I saw these on Kojima, totally drooled and tip-toed away.