Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert newberry's Avatar

Linda it called the Coaster it runs San Diego to Oceanside and back.

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Octavia's Mom's Avatar

Spread the word if you know any pearl lovers in the area. I would love to meet them!

Quote Originally Posted by Octavia's Mom View Post
    Spread the word if you know any pearl lovers in the area. I would love to meet them!
    What pearls should I wear? And even bigger question which pearls are you wearing

Linda, private message me with your hotel name and we'll exchange email addresses/phones so we can make arrangements for pickup. Yes, you have to disembark in Oceanside but the station is really not too far from the GIA. Both are on the coast.

What pearls to wear? I am not sure! Remember that a bunch of them are still in the safe deposit box where I don't have the key!

What pearls to wear? I am not sure! Remember that a bunch of them are still in the safe deposit box where I don't have the key!
    It's time to have that box drilled

The downside of living on the east coast...

Since I am speaking on the history of pearls, I may wear some antique pearl pins.

Under the heading of TMI: I didn't think that through. The antique pins may be in the "missing key box" or they may be in my other box. A year or two before I moved away from Mom's house in 2011, I got a safe deposit box in her area and I still had it so she could use it. Now, I put some of my stuff back in it because it's the only one I can use. My life is too complicated!

I remember right before we were going out of town a couple of years ago, I saw my box keys in my purse and wanted to lighten the load. I put them somewhere in Mom's house and they have never shown up. She tends to move her stuff around and throw items together in boxes or bins to go through in the future. Adding to that, she swapped the furniture in my room, so all the storage cubbies and bookcase boxes were moved out.

This is what happens to the daughter of an acquisitive collector of things. Not only am I faced with drilling the box, but I am missing about 1/4 of my jewelry from the days I hid things in the house. I hid them too well! I need a forensic search of everything in both houses.

Does this happen to any of you? I'd like to think I'm not the only one.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

It used to happen, especially after I moved something from the location where it was stored for years to a new location. Then I took a tip from my late father.

When I was cleaning out my parents' house in FL after Dad died, I came across a binder in which he detailed where important things could be found in his house. Everything from appliance instruction manuals to documents.

I now have a document on my computer where I write the new storage location of items I move when reorganizing. If I hide anything, the location gets recorded right away.

Ironically the one thing I could not find when cleaning his house was the 2nd safe deposit box key, so we had to pay the fee to have the lock replaced when we closed out the box. I eventually came across the missing key among the things we brought back to CT, but too late!

My unsolicited advice: bite the bullet, pay the fee, get access to your box. Then record where you keep the new keys.

I had to give Mom my key because she lost hers for the box I can get into. Many years ago if you had a key there was a fee to replace it. I hate to think I have to pay twice.

Your Dad was brilliant. I did show Mom the three places I might hide jewelry, but I wonder how she would do if I tested her on her memory.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

I had to give Mom my key because she lost hers for the box I can get into. Many years ago if you had a key there was a fee to replace it. I hate to think I have to pay twice.
    So, which costs more, getting a new key, or replacing all that jewelry that you can’t access? You can’t enjoy it if you can’t wear it.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

That's what I think too.

So I just called my local bank and asked what it would cost. The bank employee said if only the key is missing it would be $25 but if they have to drill it out it's $150. I expect in your situation they would have to drill it out if both keys are missing.

So that's not nothing, but then consider how much it costs to go out to dinner a few times, for what is really only a very temporary pleasure. Also the lack of being able to wear your jewelry is a continuing vexation, while the vexation of paying to get it drilled out would be eased by the pleasure of having your jewelry to wear again.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member KaySD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newberry View Post
    What pearls should I wear? And even bigger question which pearls are you wearing
    I can't wait! And I also have to figure out what pearls to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by KaySD View Post
    I can't wait! And I also have to figure out what pearls to wear.
    Awesome! You have many perfect choices.