Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Purranha's Avatar

Default Help! Jewelry Appraiser Recommendation Needed!!!

Hello PG Community!

I need some help & recommendation for a jewelry appraiser who may be able to do house calls and appraise different types of jewelry for insurance purposes. I'm looking to refresh my insurance policy and need to update my jewelry coverage, and unfortunately appraisal is required. Ugh. Would really appreciate any recommendations.

Also interested in knowing how people get jewelry coverage with insurance policy - is it always appraisal or receipt along with certificate/specs, or are there other forms of documentation that insurance companies have accepted instead?

Thank you in advance!

Purr~

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I've used either the original receipt, or asked the jeweler who made it to make me a new appraisal for insurance purposes. For stuff I inherited, I took a bunch of stuff to Mayor's Jewelers when they had an appraiser in town. I made an appointment and then brought as much stuff as he could appraise during my time slot. He would not appraise jade, and I did not have him look at pearls, just gemstone jewelry.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

I've done both too. For new pieces where I've had a receipt, I've used that. For older pieces that may have changed in value, or for pieces that I haven't had a receipt, I've taken things in to be appraised. Usually appraisals here take a while (they have your things for a week or two), but provide you with a certificate that you send in to your insurance company.

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

There are a number of insurance appraisers in New York. You can check the NAJA website to see if there are any near you who do house calls.
    http://www.najaappraisers.com/html/f..._appraiser.php

I believe you will either need a current appraisal or a receipt for everything you want insured.

Thank you everyone for the info, very much appreciated!

So, I do have receipt & appraisal for most of my PP purchases (which consist the majority of my recent jewelry acquisitions).
    However, I have a sizable collection of jewelry from mom, most of which were purchased 20-40yrs ago.

Mom keeps meticulous records...handwritten in a notebook. It's like d'oh d'oh d'oh plus face palm.
    They all have which jeweler, purchase date and price; however, back in the days, a lot of those purchases do NOT come with receipt or appraisal.
    And mom tossed some of the certificates as well since it is so humid where we are in Asia and a bunch of them molded.
    I don't think she ever thought I would need them for insurance purposes.

I have so many pieces that appraisal by pieces will likely cost a fortune, and having all my babies be sent off somewhere for weeks at a time also gives me heart attacks...

Jeremy thank you SO MUCH for the link - I'll check it out!

First-graft Pearl Senior Member linda.wald's Avatar

A lot depends on pieces and their values, but remember that insurance companies do make a profit.

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Purranha View Post
    Thank you everyone for the info, very much appreciated!

So, I do have receipt & appraisal for most of my PP purchases (which consist the majority of my recent jewelry acquisitions).
    However, I have a sizable collection of jewelry from mom, most of which were purchased 20-40yrs ago.

Mom keeps meticulous records...handwritten in a notebook. It's like d'oh d'oh d'oh plus face palm.
    They all have which jeweler, purchase date and price; however, back in the days, a lot of those purchases do NOT come with receipt or appraisal.
    And mom tossed some of the certificates as well since it is so humid where we are in Asia and a bunch of them molded.
    I don't think she ever thought I would need them for insurance purposes.

I have so many pieces that appraisal by pieces will likely cost a fortune, and having all my babies be sent off somewhere for weeks at a time also gives me heart attacks...

Jeremy thank you SO MUCH for the link - I'll check it out!
    It's crazy, but we're going through the same thing right now. Since Hisano now has a natural strand and a conch pearl strand, she doesn't keep them at home. She keeps them in the vault. I am getting insurance so she can feel safe keeping them at home so she will wear them more often!

The insurance we are getting accepts appraisals or receipts. We also have to install a new alarm system, but I've been meaning to do that anyway.

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Octavia's Mom's Avatar

Visiting appraisers can take all the information and photos in person and do the research and write the reports at their location. Having gems measured, evaluated and documented ensures a better outcome in the case of a loss. I agree that NAJA is your best bet.

Thank you all again for the input! I'll dig around through the website and try to find someone.

Of course in the mean time, if anyone personally knows of any specific appraisers in the greater NYC area, please recommend!