Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    Very interesting...I one thing comes immediately to mind: trust your eyes more than a certificate. That said, why on earth would the lab give sub-par strands hanadama status? Doesn't it just serve to devalue the certification process (or more directly, the lab doing the grading/certification)?
    There has always been a range within the hanadama certification process. It's really like calling a diamond a "fine diamond" when it falls in the range of VS to FL - both are considered fine, but the value difference can easily be double from one side of the range to the other.

From my understanding, the range was widened during a time when overall quality dropped. I believe this was during the time of large Chinese production. Culturing time in Japan dropped dramatically and the overall quality of production dipped. Quality is back to where it once was, but I still see strands of pearls with certificates that should not have them.

These low-end strands made their way to television shopping in Japan and hurt the pearl business. I heard a lot about this when it happened. I've seen the same thing online in the US, but on a much smaller scale.

Quote Originally Posted by jshepherd View Post
    The Tenyo hanadama grade has been trending in Asia for a couple of years. You don't see it in the US because it was introduced for the Asian market. You see lots of strands with tenyo certification at the shows and they are trying to replace hanadama with Tenyo.

It was explained to me that there were so many subpar strands of hanadama that has made it through certification, the lab decided to create a new "hanadama" certificate called tenyo, which is basically their way of saying, "not all hanadama are hanadama, but these really are."

When it came out, all true hanadama, which is top-graded hanadama, could be tenyo graded as well. But there were (and still are) a lot of low-range hanadama that should not have been certified hanadama in the first place. This became a big issue in Japan because these low-grade strands with certificates are sold widely including on television shopping channels.

The reasons I didn't move into the new certificate are that it's the same thing, and I knew nobody in the US would know what the grade is or what it means. It's trending in Asia, but mainly because it's being locally promoted in China and now in Japan too. Also, I doubted the "new" hanadama would last and we are already seeing vendors at the show offering discount "tenyo" strands with certificates that are not in the same quality range. They just have the certificates.
    Thanks very much for this insight Jeremy, it is incredibly enlightening. While here I have seen a lot of “hanadama” strands being sold - there are a lot of non-PSL labs offering this certification as well. On one of these non-PSL ones, the nacre thickness was only 0.3mm.
    I wandered into a sort-of-wholesaler’s shop and he acknowledged that those were way below the PSL’s quality but he still stocks them so he must be seeing demand from somewhere.

Even for the PSL strands, I will admit to being somewhat disappointed with some strands I’ve seen, and I don’t even own hanadama yet, my best pearls are a pair of small ordinary-grade mikimoto earrings

Quote Originally Posted by pearlbop View Post
    Thanks very much for this insight Jeremy, it is incredibly enlightening. While here I have seen a lot of “hanadama” strands being sold - there are a lot of non-PSL labs offering this certification as well. On one of these non-PSL ones, the nacre thickness was only 0.3mm.
    I wandered into a sort-of-wholesaler’s shop and he acknowledged that those were way below the PSL’s quality but he still stocks them so he must be seeing demand from somewhere.

Even for the PSL strands, I will admit to being somewhat disappointed with some strands I’ve seen, and I don’t even own hanadama yet, my best pearls are a pair of small ordinary-grade mikimoto earrings
    HI pearlbop, my bestfriend just returned from her Tokyo biz trip and I remembered your post from earlier and was

wondering if you purchased anything from your trip?

my friend's hotel was in okachimachi (conveniently haha) so I asked her to drop by the store I purchase last month to ask for tennyo earrings.

They only had two sets 8mm for about 600usd
    and 8.6 for about 900usd without the post so I didn't get them as I 'm looking for 6.5-7mm.
    Maybe I will find something by myself when i'm there next time!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  9.1 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  9.2 KB
    Last edited by seoulite; 03-29-2019 at 02:09 AM.