Default "Rule" for ratios? earring vs necklace size? Pictures are VERy welcome!

I realize that there are no hard and fast rules but does anyone have some general guidance (even if it's out-dated traditional rules) on ratios?

I really like matchy-matchy, but I understand that this is considered boring and/or frowned upon

My second preference after matching set would be to have the necklace and bracelet strands in the same size. And have the earrings and the ring be slightly bigger than the necklace/bracelet. But honestly, my first preference is just to have matching sizes all around.

I would love to hear people's thoughts on what works for them or any rules, guidance, etc. Pictures welcome!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

No rules, lovely. Just whatever makes you happy!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Abi's Avatar

I'm with Marianne, and to take from a recent popularized excerpt- Choose what "Sparks Joy."
    "The heart of man is very much like the sea, it has its storms, it has its tides and in its depths it has its pearls too."-Vincent Van Gogh

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

No Rules! Look at Babynurse's thread: 365 Days of Pearls, and be inspired.

Confession, I just ordered some 8 mm natural white Hanadama studs in a matching size to my 8 mm natural white Hanadama necklace, but other than that, nothing else I have matches. My goal wasn't to wear the Hanadamas together, but because I happen to like 8 mm white pearls. I actually wear my 9.5. mm black and white Tahitian studs with my Hanadama necklace because they happen to "go" together.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Yes, as BWeaves suggests, check out how Baby Nurses's style has evolved.

"No rules" makes pearl wearing more relaxing and enjoyable! And it means if your style is a bit more classic and you like pieces to match, that's ok, too!

It was a bit shocking when designers started mixing Chinese freshwater pearls, Akoya, SS or Tahitians, but it's now rather common. Petite women look gorgeous in large pearls. We wear our Tahitian strands to the grocery store. So many changes!

The last time I wore a set - lavender-gray ripples - earrings, necklace, double strand bracelet, was at my Granddaughter's wedding 1 1/2 years ago.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Lady_Disdain's Avatar

It depends so much on your own personal style. I don't like large studs - but give me large necklaces any day! My akoya studs are 6mm and that size works for me, even when I pair them with 8 or 9mm pearl strands.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

I really like matchy-matchy
    I've noticed that when strands and earrings are sold as sets, they are usually the same size.

I tend to coordinate by pearl type -- all Akoyas, all SS, etc. But my personal style tends to be "thrown together," rather than "pulled together."
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson