Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member CricketBug's Avatar

Cool DID IT! Restringing

After quite a hiatus from stringing, and recently re-reading through the great how-to thread here, I decided to re-string a strand of, to-me, whoppers. They're Tahitians, circled, some with zits, most with lovely lustre and with gorgeous colours from aubergine to intense green, gray-blue-ish and banded colours. The sizes are from 14mm to 15.8mm and while not the highest quality, overall, it's a fun and colourful strand!

It was originally strung with silk, by the look of it. I forgot to take a before photo. D'oh! It's 22 inches (without the clasp), and I had to quadruple the thread (Beaders Secret, Charcoal, purchased from Pattye... in 2013!!!). Just a basic clasp that's nicely secure and strong.

It didn't take long at all! Turns out my fingers still remembered what to do. Yay!

These are iPhone shots, and nope, the colours don't show up nearly as beautifully as to the eye, physically.

Coincidentally, the pearls, in real life, look amazing on the top I'm wearing! Doesn't show so much in the photo:

Name:  IMG_7907_2.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  68.1 KB

My fave background colour for pearls is this soft gray:

Name:  IMG_7899_2.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  90.6 KB

And a hand shot to show their relative size.

Name:  IMG_7897_2.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  71.0 KB

I'm so excited to get stringing again! I ordered some finger tape from Pattye (and can hardly wait 'til it arrives. My fingers are rather tender after all that knot tightening today, LOL!), as well as more Beaders Secret and some needles.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

I love your pearls! Muscle memory is great to have

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

A M A Z I N G!! Great colorful ringed pearls and great stringing, Cricketbug! Quadrupled thread takes a bit more time to knot, but is tidy and strong, I often do this, sometimes with #40 also, adjusting thread to the hole size.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Octavia's Mom's Avatar

Wow! That is a major strand and super colorful. It turned out great.

Quote Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
    I love your pearls! Muscle memory is great to have
    Thanks, Marianne. Yes, muscle memory is magical!

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    A M A Z I N G!! Great colorful ringed pearls and great stringing, Cricketbug! Quadrupled thread takes a bit more time to knot, but is tidy and strong, I often do this, sometimes with #40 also, adjusting thread to the hole size.
    Thank you, Pattye. Once I got over my brain-cramp of figuring how much thread was needed, the rest was easy. LOL! I actually liked the quad thread, because it made nice sized knots and the doubled threads were easier to tighten.

Quote Originally Posted by GemGeek View Post
    Wow! That is a major strand and super colorful. It turned out great.
    Thanks, GemGeek. In real life it doesn't seem so big, somehow. It would be wonderful to have a mini diffused light source on pearls wherever we went, so the colours would always show up!

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

That sure is a whopper size strand!

You did a beautiful job and they look amazing! Love the colors, shapes, rings-- all of it.

As a result of your post I went through the stringing tutorial tonight, updating in little ways as needed.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 02-18-2019 at 07:40 AM.

First-graft Pearl

Those are huge and so colourful for pearls of that size! Great job on knotting, they look terrific.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Wowza! Great job. It sounds like this strand would benefit from the thicker size of Beader's secret.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

CricketBug - Those are huge and have such great colour !! Well done, I find the larger pearls harder even though they go quickly. I'll try the quad thread next time. Really great strand !

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    That sure is a whopper size strand!

You did a beautiful job and they look amazing! Love the colors, shapes, rings-- all of it.

As a result of your post I went through the stringing tutorial tonight, updating in little ways as needed.
    Thanks, PD! As a result mainly of the "Show Me Your Pearls" forum and photo contributions, I'm inspired to get back to stringing. This has also encouraged me to purchase more pearls, too. LOL! PD can be a bit of a deadly forum to hang around, wallet-wise! When someone posts a link to a store or vendor, I go trotting off to have a look... and maybe a "buy" while I'm at it. I've now banned myself from more purchases, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by SydK View Post
    Those are huge and so colourful for pearls of that size! Great job on knotting, they look terrific.
    Thank you, SydK. I confess I kind of took them for granted, and hadn't worn them in a couple years due to needing restringing. I actually don't recall where I sourced them from, but it was a lucky purchase, lustre- and colour-wise, given the size.

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Wowza! Great job. It sounds like this strand would benefit from the thicker size of Beader's secret.
    Thanks, BWeaves. Yes! Heavier thread would be better, but I'm also very happy with the result of using quad thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    CricketBug - Those are huge and have such great colour !! Well done, I find the larger pearls harder even though they go quickly. I'll try the quad thread next time. Really great strand !
    Thanks, Katbran. This is the first strand of large pearls that I've done. Other strands were small but loooong. I ended up taking one to be professionally restrung as my efforts were sorry, to say the least. LOL! It was just too daunting at the time. I love working with the shorter strands, and with larger sized pearls, so I'll happily experiment with some new treasures that are en route.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

Those tahitians are beautiful, and so lustrous. Great restringing.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotta View Post
    Those tahitians are beautiful, and so lustrous. Great restringing.
    Thank you, Charlotta. Your restringing is what got me thinking to try it again. I'm so glad I did!

First-graft Pearl Senior Member Gemandpearlover's Avatar

Great work! The strand is so lovely with beautiful colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemandpearlover View Post
    Great work! The strand is so lovely with beautiful colors.
    Thank you, Gemandpearlover! BTW, your avatar picture is adorable. Pearls on a dachsie is an elegant look.

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Knots are tight! The stringing looks perfect.