Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Third-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Charlotta's Avatar

Default Creating a faux treasure chest for children

Not-husbands middle daughter has a beautiful babygirl who just turned one. When I was a child I always wanted to have a treasure chest with beautiful jewelry. That didn't happened. So I have started to make one for her and other grandchildren we might get. I found some pretty good imitation strands of pearls this week. I restrung them and changed the clasps to some vintage silver and marcasite ones.
    _20190217_115537.jpg
    _20190217_115606.jpg
    These silver, marcasite and fake pearl earrings I had for a while.
    _20190217_115622.jpg
    _20190217_115652.jpg
    I also found this totally fake enhancer for almost nothing.
    _20190217_115711.jpg
    I still haven't found a good chest for the fakeies. She's still to small though. I will update the tread when I find something new for the chest.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

What a fun idea, Charlotta! I'd have loved a jewelry chest when I was a kid.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Thank you Pattye. I think so too.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

When our children were good at the dentist, he would let them pick out a small treasure from his treasure chest. My son loved his adjustable ruby ring. I remember the day I told him it wasn't a real ruby (oops on my part), and he was shocked. "Mom, we need to call the dentist immediately. " "Why?" "Because we have to let him know that those aren't real!" "He already knows that." "No, he doesn't. He said they were ruby and sapphire rings!"

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

What a sweet story, Red!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

That's a cute story, Red!

I had a treasure chest as a child, too. My dad, who was a tailor, gave me some buttons with rhinestones, and I had a sky blue glass marble that I loved. And some faux jewelry, too.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

I never had a treasure chest, but I buried the "jewels" my mother gave me to play with in the back yard and, of course, couldn't find them again later.

That’s so funny and sweet Red. My son want to fotballpractice and joined a team when he was little, he was shocked to find out that he didn't get paid for playing fotboll, like the players in his favorite team. He also wished for an ATM-machine in his room one birthday. A most trying childhood...haha
    Pearldreams, I loved playing with my mothers buttons when I was a child. She had a big box of them. I also had a big box of keys, noone knew where they went, loved playing with those.
    Parrot Lady, I can just see it before me, you digging everywhere to find those jewels. Me and my closest sister, in age, use to draw treasure maps for each other. We didn't accually bury anything but had fun going on adventure with those. We also had a secret club in the attic and made a newspaper for members, there were 4 members only...

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

That's a great idea, Charlotta! I predict those lovely pearl and marcasite earrings will become a favorite of that lucky little girl.

Red, that's the most wonderful story

My grandson went through a treasure hunting phase too, likely inspired by Jack Sparrow and the Disney crew lol. He'd draw endless maps, hide something in the yard, and we'd have endless treks to find ... the kitchen sponge lol. I bring him little treasure chests from travels to this day, when I find something special. This year, it was a little handmade wooden one in Bermuda. Of course, I have to also find something to put in it ...
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    When our children were good at the dentist, he would let them pick out a small treasure from his treasure chest. My son loved his adjustable ruby ring. I remember the day I told him it wasn't a real ruby (oops on my part), and he was shocked. "Mom, we need to call the dentist immediately. " "Why?" "Because we have to let him know that those aren't real!" "He already knows that." "No, he doesn't. He said they were ruby and sapphire rings!"
    I love that story. I also have a treasure chest at my office and let the children pick out a "treasure" when done with their treatment. Thanks for the chuckle.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

My childhood "treasure chest" was one of Grandma's jewelry boxes filled with rhinestone broaches and seemingly miles of bead ropes. No electronic gadgets, just lots of imagination

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

OH, I would have loved a treasure chest filled with pearls when I was a girl.

I had almost the next best thing. My mother was an excellent sewer and fashion designer (for herself) and I got all her 1950's crinolines to play with during the 1960's when she had changed to Mod clothing.

Thank you CathyKeshi, 2thdktr and Bweaves. I'm not sure that I am fully over treasure hunting yet, I still search for treasures, mostly online...

Traveling Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jeg's Avatar

I love all these stories!!! I have always been a collector. As a kid, I loved little things and had many containers that acted as treasure boxes. I still have some of the cigar boxes with their trinkets. Here are photos of Japanese puzzle boxes with their contents that I have kept all these years.

A collection of glass animals. There are many more, but they have suffered casualties over the years with missing limbs or ears.
    8CCCFF8E-5FD5-4FEA-BFBB-60A2F6834299.jpg

A collection of sponge animals that came in boxes of Japanese candy called Tomoe Ame. The candy had a strong ginger flavor that I wasn’t especially fond of as a kid, so I was able to trade my cousins the candy for their toys! There were a lot of different toys, like Cracker Jack type, but these animals were my favorite.
    5BCAF6D6-80C9-4542-A6F8-6D52FBCF3583.jpg

The boxes have “secret” sliding panels.
    363C64C0-1CA2-48D3-909E-7E7E06E7008B.jpg

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Jeg, you continue to amaze me .... YOU are a treasure
    Cathy

CathyKeshi