View Poll Results: Which is the "AAA" strand?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strand "1" [leftmost strand]

0 0%
  • Strand "2"

7 35.00%
  • Strand "3"

2 10.00%
  • Strand "4" [rightmost strand]

11 55.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Difficult and interesting! Certainly curious, and having bought pearls based on photos, realize how challenging the decision is.

Am unable to see any blemishes, which usually figure into my evaluation of a strand.

Thank you, Andrew!

Having seen many Miki strands working for Nordstrom Fine Jewelry 20+ years ago is of no help at all today!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Andrew: I know this is for fun. But I've seen all the Miki qualities in person, and it doesn't matter how good the photos are, my monitor is not going to give me enough range to tell the difference between top of the line pearls, so I can't even begin to guess.

First-graft Pearl Senior Member

Interesting point on the monitors. My high end color corrected monitor for photography clearly shows the different overtones even if the luster is difficult to differentiate.

Something I've always thought interesting is how silver Mikimoto strands seem to appear in photos. For those who have seen them in person, is this the case at all? What makes them tend to look this way?

And thanks for all the excellent contributions

I have 2 pairs of Miki earrings. The pair set in yellow gold is pinked. The pair set in white gold looks silver. I think Mikis are pinked, but it's subtle. It's just the right amount of pink to be flattering, but not so much that it's really obvious (like with my baroque akoyas).

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member judimcc6's Avatar

Yes, Japanese pearls are most always pinked. It is a very desirable color in Asia.
    Not easy to assess the grading of these pearls. In person, you could roll them to determine any blinking or off round features. I wouldn't begin to give any credible determination. It does point out how much photos need to be as clear as possible to sell pearls online.
    Judi McCormick
    Judi McCormick Studios
    www.judimccormickjewelry.com

Great contest, Andrew. Too much fun. I expect it might be easier in person to make the determination. I tried to guess by how sharp the mirroring in the pearl is. May not be the best way, but we are viewing a photo, afterall and it was difficult to judge the surface. I own a Mikimoto strand of the A grade. You can see surface imperfections with a magnifying glass (but people don't use a magnifying glass to inspect someone else's pearls). They feel perfectly round to the touch, appear blemish-free to the eye and have a lovely luster, so I never fail to get compliments when I wear them. I'm very glad I bought them.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Narcissa's Avatar

Wow, what fun - I didn't get past being boggled that the difference between is 14,000 for what appears (in photos) to be such small differences!
    -Elizabeth
    Narcissa

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Narcissa - totally agree with you . Even seeing them in person I'd have been hard pressed to justify even moving up one grade from the bottom... let alone the top grade.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

I wouldn't know where to start on the voting. All the pearls would be round, so I looked for sharpness in luster for each strand since imperfections would be so minor, they may not show in the photos. There were some pearls that were not as sharp as others, but I don't know if that's from the lighting and if the strands were all the same distance from the light source. Mom has a miki rope, and it has such beautiful luster, they look like they are glowing and fake. I'm sure all these strands look that way in real life too.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BAS's Avatar

Best to worst (which changes each time I look, so I'll stop at this iteration):

Half seem pinked, and half don't.

First-graft Pearl Senior Member

Hi P-G friends.

Glad to be getting back to this thread at last!

So, I have the answers...

Name:  pearlcompareanswers.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  66.4 KB

Lisa C hit the nail on the head exactly, and as many here correctly guessed, number 4 is the AAA strand!

But, a couple of interesting observations...

1 was the AA strand, so in theory the closest to AAA, and it received no votes for he AAA strand. Whereas 2 was the A+ and was a close second to 4 in terms of votes-- This keeps in line with what I have heard about Miki "+" grades, which I have been told seem to mean that the pearls by luster met a higher grade but by surface did not.

3 even received some thoughts of being AAA but it was "only" A - which is supposed to be the furthest apart from AAA.

Ultimately, it just goes to show this...

1) Buying or even pearls through photos is VERY hard!

2) Not all strands are necessarily created equal even within strict grading.

I hope if not scientifically accurate or necessarily really helpful, that this was at least a little fun for everybody.

Andrew M.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

This was great fun, Andrew, many thanks! I did guess the AAA strand, but couldn't come to any conclusion on the others.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Could the votes also have been influenced by the order they were presented?

Also I don't know if the AA is actually a different color or if the lighting was different.

Anyway, all 4 strands are gorgeous. I wouldn't throw any of them back if you tossed them at me.

Thank you Andrew for the comparison photos! Very informative. My guesses were pretty accurate when I started reading this thread. I think pearls are like diamonds, each person has to find the strand/stone that speaks to them, whatever grade it may be. I am with Bweaves, any of those strands would be very happy in my jewelry box!

This was fun! Did anyone else note how strand 1 seemed to be a different color? I'd love for there to be more polls like this, I learn so much on this forum