Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Just an FYI, USA based Etsy sellers do get discounted shipping rates, but it's pennies...not dollars. I believe PayPal also offers discounted postage, as does Amazon. Insurance can cost upward of $50 depending on the value, and tracking with signature confirmation (a must for me) adds even more.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove™
    Instagram: OceansCove™
    IGTV: Ocean's Cove™ Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove™
    Pinterest: OceansCove™

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    Just an FYI, USA based Etsy sellers do get discounted shipping rates, but it's pennies...not dollars. I believe PayPal also offers discounted postage, as does Amazon. Insurance can cost upward of $50 depending on the value, and tracking with signature confirmation (a must for me) adds even more.
    Yikes that's steep.
    I was really surprised the other day when I mailed a parcel back to the US- tracked mail in Canada comes with free insurance for $100 (if you want it- otherwise, the item gets mailed uninsured). I was like, "Yes please!!". To have it signed for is an extra fee.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I feel your pain regarding a weak dollar..I think we are about the same here. And thanks for that info JP , I did wonder if there were any advantages we aren't getting from ETSY. Like we can't print shipping labels etc. Really when you add up the cost of the packaging, the tracking, sign on delivery and insurance ... it's depressing lol

Sulema- I know what you mean about the excess charges on some items. I just did a cruise through eBay to see what's happening there and you do find people charging ridiculous amounts for shipping some ordinary items. I see that you aren't a novice in the area of shipping costs plus you have to factor in duty as well . I'm not sure how vigilant the customs folk are there but I've seen people complain so I have to imagine they pick up more than they do here.

Kat you are so right. I had forgotten about import tax.

I figure if I mentally double a listed price for any given item, that should be enough to include shipping, duty and exchange rates. At least then I'm over-calculating up front and coming in under budget once purchased.

First-graft Pearl Senior Member Simply adorned's Avatar

In Canada there is small business account with Canada Post (I don’t use Etsy shipping labels, for several reason) it saves less than $1 for most parcels I ship. Shipping with tracking within Canada or in the US is around the same rate for me, however shipping to other countries with tracking is double or triple. I try to keep my shipping rates low and usually pay more than I charge.

Simply Adorned, you have the most beautiful custom necklaces and pearls- I just love the rosegold floating tahitan necklace, and diamond and tahitan pearl pendant!! How lovely yours, Katbran and JerseyPearl's creations are!

There are beautiful pearl items by PG members. As KarinK suggested at the beggining of my pearl journey- I should browse the member links, Peal Paradise, Pearls of Joy and Kamoka Pearls. <3
    Last edited by sulema; 02-04-2019 at 03:01 AM.

Me...blushing , thank you Sulema!

First-graft Pearl Senior Member Gemandpearlover's Avatar

I agree Simply adorned you do have amazing pearls on your Etsy site. Those metallic Edisons are TDF.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simply adorned View Post
    In Canada there is small business account with Canada Post (I don’t use Etsy shipping labels, for several reason) it saves less than $1 for most parcels I ship. Shipping with tracking within Canada or in the US is around the same rate for me, however shipping to other countries with tracking is double or triple. I try to keep my shipping rates low and usually pay more than I charge.
    The bingo (I believe you haven't it in USA and Canada) is 450 euros, whatever the price of item, to pay french mandatory customs agent to get free of charges a Fedex, or UPS sending to me from any countries out of Europeen Union... If I forget to tell sellers must use postal service, not carriage company, it's a disaster!!
    Last edited by ericw; 02-04-2019 at 05:53 PM.

And Simply Adorned, your photos of the jewelry are terrific. From experience, I know that's harder than sourcing the pearls and making the jewelry!!!

Thank you ☺️ Gemandpearllover and Sobellejanet!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Sulema - Thank you for the lovely compliment ! Much appreciated! I'm not great at Instagram and most of my photos are using an iPad shooting the pearls on a bench top but at least you know what you're getting lol No glamour shots .. wish I could do them

With our dollar - AUD being so poor , I mentally double the price of everything when I order.. at least then there are no real surprises.

:-) Kat your photos are gorgeous! I love the natural looks of your displays. Your Tahitian dangle earrings are to die for.. I also really love the silver pearl dangle drop earrings (w/ the stearling feather)!

Truly, you have a beautiful craft and I'm so happy to have been introduced to yours and Simply A's gorgeous, one of a kind jewellery items.

Today I received an update of the broken strand necklace that was sent back to the original seller. I am more gut-wrenched than when I was told it was not received (and thus had accepted the loss of those funds).

Last week I contacted Canada Post to inquire if the necklace parcel could be somehow tracked down, and was told the item was untraceable since I did not pay for tracking (one of my many dumb mistakes). However I told the seller that Canada Post would contact me once they found the parcel (CP did say that but they also told me the chances were slim to none that it would end up in the "undeliverable mail office"- a place that parcels sometimes go if they do not have tracking and the label or address had fallen off). I don't know if the item truly took multiple weeks to get from ON to BC, or if the seller got spooked and thought just in case CP did track the parcel to being delivered they should let me know... but in any regard, out of the blue he confirmed today that it had been delivered last week. He told me that today he had a chance to review them and determined that the pearls were "mostly" the size he indicated (and sent pictures measuring the pearl in the middle, but not the tiniest pearls that went along most of the lenght of the strand) and based on his description of the item being accurate, he would not give a refund but sending the pearls back to me.

I have to say, I was shocked. I think because at first I was so relieved to hear he had received the parcel, I thought I would just be refunded minus shipping, end of story. So when he told me he received them but refund would not occur, it was unexpected. Also, earlier today while at school, a close friend called my landline, my cell and then emailed me to let me know another mutual friend has suddenly passed. I was still reeling from that and processing, I wasn't prepared to deal with anything more.

Looking back it would have been easier if he just kept the pearls and not said anything. I would not have known otherwise and had made my peace with the financial part. Anyway, I initially responded and asked him to please refund because they just weren't what I was looking for, that I really had my heart set on a slightly bigger strand. I tried to be polite, apologetic and offered a "re-stocking" fee for the trouble. He refused, told me to verify my address as he was sending them back. I then tried to appeal to his return policy, "I gladly accept returns/ Contact me within: 3 days of delivery/ Ship items back within: 7 days of delivery”. I thought I did everything that was in accordance with it and I was truly just ignorant when it came to pearl sizes as that had been my first ever strand and was hoping for ones that were slightly bigger. In the course of our correspondences he called me a "liar", a "thief", a "cheater" and "mentally unstable". Needless to say by the time I picked up my little guy from school I was in tears. I'm going to tell him to keep the money and not to worry about it. Its been terribly stressful interacting with this man. I was probably in the wrong and measured them incorrectly. Looking at his policy again, it does state that the returned item must be in his possession no more than 10 days from purchase. The item went way over that time-frame so he is entitled to refuse the return.

What a day. Thankfully there will always be more pearls, and in the big picture life is too precious not to cherish the little things, like an adorable child snuggling up to a good bedtime story.
    Last edited by sulema; 02-14-2019 at 01:13 AM.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

So sorry to read about the loss of your friend! How very sad.

About the pearls, I suspect the seller thought he could get away with keeping the pearls and your money, and when he was told the Canada Post was checking on it, he realized he could not get away with it. Sulema, let him send them back to you! You can rework them into something else someday. I'm sorry you didn't get your refund, but why should he keep your money and the pearls?

As for the name calling, that says more about him than it does about you.

Also, this was the one that needed restringing, right? I have restrung graduated strands with small end pearls like that. Power Pro 10# works great with those pearls-- or the finest size of Beader's Secret. If it's too small for your taste, your young niece can enjoy it.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 02-06-2019 at 02:49 AM. Reason: added information