Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Default Removing back from a pearl.

Somewhere this subject exists as I posted an answer a few months ago. But I wanted to post as I've changed my technique.

I have quite successfully used the microwave/bowl of water method in the past. Alternating with Acetone and a firm pull on the peg. This is a method that I read about here. However .. I must say I've always worried about the pearls with a bead nucleus and the possibility of the pearl cracking.

Soooo I had this verrrry expensive

AWSS that I was about to glue. Checked the size several times putting the pin in and out to make sure it was a good fit.. When I went to glue the 14k pin ... I changed the position of my hand just before placing it. Well those 5 seconds made a difference. The peg went in and stopped at 2mm I tried everything... the peg did not move and I was worried about breaking it off inside a 500 pearl. For two hours I did my normal routine... didn't budge.

I searched for an answer and found it here in a post from Rusty - he uses an electric kettle but I used a fine strainer and a small saucepan.
    The strainer was laid across the pan so it was immersed in cool water but not near the bottom of the pan. Then I boiled the water. Rusty said you have to pull within a couple of seconds of removing the pearl from the water. Dishtowel in hand and pliers ready - I grabbed the pearl and gave a pull .. it moved. Repeated and pulled and it came out .

So this is now going to be my method.

1. small saucepan
    2 strainer that doesn't touch the bottom
    3 start with cool water and heat to boiling
    4 remove from heat , remove the pearl with your smooth jewellery pliers
    5 pull straight and firmly - don't twist but a little wiggle is ok
    6 repeat
    7 let the pearl cool naturally - do not shock it in cold water.

Big thanks to Rusty

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Many thanks, Katbran, for refining and clarifying this process! And thanks from me, Rusty! What a "cliff hanger," adventure with your pearl, so happy the pin removal was successful. Sounds like this can work any time we need to remove a pearl from a post.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

Thank you! Another method to try is always appreciated!

You are very welcome ! I was so thrilled that this worked so easily and with far less stress on the pearl. I've never had an issue with the other method but then it was pretty fiddly. If you give it a try let me know how it goes !!

Interesting! So far I only used the method of heating up metal tweezers in the (creme brulee burner) flame and then holding the pin and tugging on the pearl until it came loose. The metal transports the heat quickly into the glue and the pearl stays cool.

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by morella View Post
    Interesting! So far I only used the method of heating up metal tweezers in the (creme brulee burner) flame and then holding the pin and tugging on the pearl until it came loose. The metal transports the heat quickly into the glue and the pearl stays cool.
    That's an interesting method!

Thanks Kat for adding to yours too. I've used the hot water method myself, but have never had to deal with especially stuck on pearls. This is a good one for the back pocket!

Thank you, Morella! Filing this away, too!
    Pattye

Thanks Morella - That's certainly worth a try. Given my experiences trying to remove the backs from my pearls..I have completely ceased worrying that the pearls I've set might fall off.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Thanks Kat & Morella. I have (accidently) cracked a pearl while in the process of trying to remove a pin (I get teary-eyed just thinking about it) so it's really good to have other methods to try.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member CricketBug's Avatar

For those who have successfully used the boiling water method to remove a pin/post from pearls, how long do you leave the pearl in the hot/simmering water?

Just the other day I removed some 14k gold backs. It took me 4 different boils in the microwave until they started to loosen up. I let the earrings set in the hot water for about 5-10 min, then test to see if they are releasing (gently twist). I wasn't planning to save the pearls; they were some dark fw buttons.
    Pattye

Quote Originally Posted by morella View Post
    This method sounds perfect for saving the pearl, too! Adding the gas cartridge to my shopping list as I already have the never used before torch.
    Pattye

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member CricketBug's Avatar

Thank you, Pattye! LOL!, no wonder my attempt was unsuccessful—I twitched, majorly, after about two minutes. I was worried the pearl might be ruined. Will experiment with a longer “sit” time and see what happens. We do have acetone, so I could try that, too, but the fumes are horrid, so perhaps that experiment will wait for spring when windows can be opened, or I can put it outside.

I also tried the hot pliers method which had zero effect. It’s great to have various methods to use, just in case.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

Cricketbug, I put the aceton in a jar with a lid. The lid stays on when the pearls are in it, then I fish up the pearl and the findings with chopsticks. The jar is narrow, so not much fumes.

Cricketbug, oh, I do get impatient; thought about just smashing the pearl, but afraid the posts would be ruined!

I did recently purchase a large bottle of 100% acetone at Ulta, sold as nail polish remover, yes, it's pretty smelly. But good to have on hand. I'd try the acetone first if I wanted to save the pearl.
    Pattye