Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Glad you settled on a pair! They do seem very lustrous, and I thought they looked nice on your ear.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I know you'll be happy with this pair after thoroughly checking out other pairs. It also took me awhile to find the right T's for me, too.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I love that pair ! I have a real bias towards the brighter mid green shades ! I know you will enjoy them for many years...perfect size imo!

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I know you'll be happy with this pair after thoroughly checking out other pairs. It also took me awhile to find the right T's for me, too.
    I have lots of Tahitians, but only started the quest for peacock a few months ago. Now, thanks to this forum, I am much pickier!!

Edit: This is also my first venture into buying pearls online. What a difficult task.
    Last edited by VR1; 01-06-2019 at 04:24 AM.

Well, I made another purchase from American Pearl, this time a 10mm “True AAA” floating peacock pearl pendant. I did not specify dark, medium or light. I guess I had better contact them and request. I hope I like it as much as my earrings from them, as seen in my previous pics above in the thread. I’ll let you know!

Question: do you insist that your earrings and necklace match closely or do you still wear them together even if they don’t match that well?
    Last edited by VR1; 02-23-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

VR1, my earrings or pendants don't have to match closely. I have studs that matches closely and some that don't. I sort of like whenthey aren't to perfect, lumps and bump gives them a personality I think. I have a vintage strand of akoyas that are perfect in every way one could think. I can't find one fault on the pearls, even with a loupe. They are perfectly round, match both colorwise and sizewize. Just beautiful. But there aren't anything to look for, for exampel my vintage baroque akoya strand has a funny little pearl that looks like a pigshead, complete with tiny ears. Also my greenish south sea pearls are wonderfully bumpy. If something matches perfectly fine, but as long as I love the pearls individually it doesn't matter.... I always matches those perfect akoyas with really dark tahitian studs. I could never get rid of those perfect pearls either since the pretty clasp is marked with the same year as my son was born, though someone else haf them for 20 years or so. Hope that you love your new pendant.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

Short answer: no, I match by size, shape, type OR color.

Long answer: I have a pair of Tahitian earrings where I first picked out the pearls myself at the Gem Faire in Oregon, deliberately choosing a brown and a green pearl because I feel you notice both more when they are not a perfect match. Then I lost the green one When I finally made it to PP I brought the single earring along and found a perfect match - exactly the same size and same very round shape and significantly lighter than the other earring, not quite the black/white look but close. Wear them almost daily along with a large, very barogue Tahitian on leather.

Hello! I am back after buying 3 pendants in my ever daunting task of finding Tahitians that wow me. I wanted something to go with my original American Pearl studs (which I truly love and can’t resist wearing almost daily despite having tons of jewelry. I bought another 10-11mm “AAA peacock” pendant from them, but was disappointed this time. They lacked the luster of my studs and were smaller. I think I got pretty lucky with the size of the studs.

Here I have pics of the other 2 pendants. One I bought in person (the one right next to the studs in pic ) and I think they match almost perfectly. I was shocked to find them at MACY’S for dirt cheap( on sale for $120). It is on a silver chain, which I am not crazy about, but I will keep it anyway because I think they are an incredible match (in my untrained eyes).

The second is a “10-11 mm, AAA peacock” from POJ. What do you think of it? I think it looks rich and nicer than the peacock studs that I returned to them in Jan. I don’t care that it is darker than my studs. I am disappointed that it is smaller, though. Like I said, I think I got lucky with the size of my studs and how well the Macy’s pendant matches. I am on the fence about the POJ pendant. I’ll see if I warm up to it.

What do you think of all?

Name:  36D33ADF-FC7E-4EDF-913D-D3BA72CD7D66.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  162.2 KBName:  4E5E2187-9936-46F2-B907-B688A683932A.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  127.9 KB
    Last edited by VR1; 03-15-2019 at 12:12 AM.

I like the Macy's pearl necklace!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    I like the Macy's pearl necklace!
    What do you think of the POJ pearl? I am not sure. I might order another from them to compare. I asked for medium peacock. I might ask for a bit lighter and see if I like better.

I was really shocked about the Macy’s pearl!

Edit: Meh, I think I will exchange the POJ for a bit lighter and larger. The AP studs must be 10.25 or something. I much prefer the size. The POJ looks small.
    Last edited by VR1; 03-15-2019 at 01:14 AM.

Sounds like you know what you like!

It's often hard to judge what Tahitians look like from photos; I've noticed some colors are hard to capture with the camera. I'm not wowed by the color of the POJ pendant pearl but I imagine it looks better in person. Still, if it's too small, it's too small.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

It could be the way you took the photos, but the lighting looks different and I think it makes the Macy's pearl look nicer. Maybe you can take a photo of the 4 pearls side by side so the lighting is the same for all the pearls?

I do prefer the setting of the Macy's pearl better because I have a weakness for floating pearls.

Quote Originally Posted by amti View Post
    It could be the way you took the photos, but the lighting looks different and I think it makes the Macy's pearl look nicer. Maybe you can take a photo of the 4 pearls side by side so the lighting is the same for all the pearls?

I do prefer the setting of the Macy's pearl better because I have a weakness for floating pearls.
    I took the pics one after another under what I THOUGHT was the same light. Gee, I see the color of the towel changed! The sun must have been behind a cloud on one of the pics. I will retake tomorrow and lay them all out side by side. I am losing interest in the POJ pearl.

The pendant I ordered from AP was a floating pearl too but I did not like it because the pearl was smaller.

I don’t know how I got so lucky with Macy’s. There are flaws in the pearl, but you can only see on 1 side if close up. I think it matches my AAA (fairly expensive) studs. I never would have thought of Macy’s.

I really wish I could just buy nice pearls that are reasonably priced in person. Buying online is such a hassle and so unpredictable.
    Last edited by VR1; 03-15-2019 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by amti View Post

I took the pics one after another under the same light. However, I will retake tomorrow and lay them all out side by side.

The pendant I ordered from AP was a floating pearl too but I did not like it because the pearl was smaller.

I don’t know how I got so lucky with Macy’s. There are flaws in the pearl, but you can only see on 1 side if close up. I think it matches my AAA (fairly expensive) studs. I never would have thought of Macy’s.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

Beautiful pendants and the earrings are gorgeous.