Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I think the OP wants peacock pearls that don't need to be indoors next to a covered window to show their colors. But that is a tall order, because overtone colors are dependent to large extent on light conditions. That's just the way it is.

VR1, here are two of my more colorful Tahitian necklaces. Each pair of photos was taken a few minutes apart. You can see the difference between how they look indoors where light is diffuse compared to just inside my front door on a bright day. (ETA: The colorful shots are the ones taken in diffuse light.)
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 04-14-2019 at 04:44 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    I do love my Tahitians, but the colors are very dependent on the light conditions. Even the brightest of the peacock pearls in the strands are light-dependent.

Golden south sea pearls, on the other hand, look golden in all kinds of light. Do you like the look of golden SSP, VR1?
    Yes, I do. I have several pairs, but I prefer the mystique of Tahitians.

Thank you, Jersey Pearl. That is very helpful.

I think the way we word things matters. Perhaps it would help new buyers if we spoke of "Tahitian pearls with peacock overtones" instead of saying "peacock pearls."

It's the overtones that are peacock.

Wow, Pearl Dreams, that is amazing to me!

So I am gathering that maybe I am not a true peacock fan, except in rare circumstances, and I would need to see them in person before purchasing (or else continue this disappointing cycle). However, I have other Tahitians that I do like a lot (and some, I think, have some peacock overtones). Here is what I will do. I will post photos of the ones I like and maybe you all can give me your opinions. Maybe I have been shopping for the wrong pearls.

We cross posted, VR1.

Okay, I see from post 125 that you understand that it's the overtones that are peacock, not the pearls. But see, that is why they are light-dependent.

Here's another thing-- when we want to post photos of our pearls, we (quite naturally) take the photos in the best possible lighting conditions. Maybe we should have a "reality check" thread where we post photos taken in the worst light.

Remember that even if you shop in a brick and mortar store, lighting matters. I was in one store where I tried on some T's. Gorgeous blue tones! I walked over to the window and looked in the mirror again. Flat gray!

Most of comments did not post, so please see next reply after pics. All pics were taken under same light, one after another. They all look darker than in person, but oh well!!!

Name:  46D431C2-F8C9-49FD-8CD1-B7D2CA4CB4CC.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  112.8 KB. I know these are dark, but I just wanted to post so you can see that I know the difference.

Name:  38704D63-C1DC-4CB4-B622-94E27F34F8E7.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  54.6 KB. These were a gift, probably not very expensive, but even with this pearl, I see a bit of peacock around the rings under certain light.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by VR1; 04-14-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Eh, my comments under the pics did not get posted and I cannot see where I can insert. Anyway, pic 3 are my favorites under any light. I love the color and luster. Pic 4 is the recent POJ purchase with my own chain.., supposed to be peacock, but I will return because, once again, looks blah to me. #5 looks peacock to me under certain light. #6 is teal to me and I like the teal color on left. #7 and #8 were made for me by local jeweler and very expensive. I like the larger ones and they seem to have some green/blue to me. #9 I love and looks peacock to me under most light. I’d love to get something else like this. I bought it in St Thomas at high end shop.

So you see I like strong colors! Maybe most peacocks are too subtle and look too plain gray to my eye under most light.
    Last edited by VR1; 04-14-2019 at 06:47 PM.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I've sold on Diamond Bistro, and I've looked at Loupe Troup. I have not gotten near what I would like to get for my pieces, but I'm glad they are rehomed.
    And I’ve been extremely grateful for those of you who offer your goodies for sale! Trust me on this, you’re sharing beauty and passing on joy.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    Last edited by lisa c; 04-14-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Sorry I missed so much of this as I've been traveling for almost 2 months.

Keep in mind that it may be possible to change the Sterling bits on that pearl, it would be harder than removing a pin but it could be possible.

I think the discussion on colour and colour perception is very important. CathyKeshi makes an excellent point, we don't all see colour the same. Its a terribly complicated area but to simplify :

The colour we see is a product of the wavelengths of the light that is reflected off of a surface, the surface properties effect the way the light is reflected . That reflected light hits the colour receptors in our eyes and we perceive a colour. So as we know, colour and lustre is highest on pearls with a very tight fine surface as the light isn't scattered to the same degree that occurs when reflecting off a rougher surface. The orientation of the pearl and the angle of light effects the colour we perceive so the colour you see at different times of the day is constantly changing.

Lovely pearls, but I agree the #4 has little life in it. Love the strong greens of the Bar pearls and the last photo. Beautiful lustre.

Color perception - So true, Kath - In fact, I thought the AmericanPearl studs were the least dynamic of any of the pearls posted! There’s a lot of room for personal perceptual changes, too. That sounds unclear...here’s an example.

I chose a strand of small pearls from PP after a few years of learning, and I thought, really careful examination of pearl colors against my skin. I asked for opinions. “What POPS?” Then I went against feedback from friends, then I had my cataracts removed. My cataracts had been deceiving me. I’m not sure what spectrum was affected, but with the clear lenses, I can see now that what I saw POP then, really doesn’t. Who knew?!?

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

At home we used to have a carpet. To me, it was muted green. To the rest of the family, it was grey.

And that’s what helps you be an artist!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

VR1, I have decided that I am also not a fan of peacock tahitians under most lighting conditions. They just never look colourful to me. What I DO love are light body coloured tahitians that have intense body colours in the silver/blue/blue-green range. They seem to show their colour better regardless of whether they are in dim diffuse light or bright natural direct light. Perhaps what you need to look for are Tahitians with body colours that you like rather than overtones. As an example, my favourite earrings from AP are very blue green in body colour, and it's only in certain types of diffuse light that the peacock overtone (which is what I bought them as) shows up.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Personally I prefer brighter colours - anything from the light greens/blues to the mid tones . Only a great pair of Aubergine can tempt me to the dark side