Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Okay, here are the 2 pendants side by side. I much prefer the Macy’s pearl (closest to the studs). I will consider exchanging the POJ for a bit larger and lighter pearl. I also ordered another pendant which should arrive by tomorrow night. That will be interesting.

No matter how I take the pic, I cannot capture the silvery green and blue in my studs and Macy’s pearl, but oh well.

Anyway, I am interested in your opinions. I am still surprised that the Macy’s pearl is so nice. That pearl and my studs wow me every time I look at them. I guess my desires have become harder to fill lately, especially after being on this forum! Name:  5469CDD2-E431-4E4A-9596-F0ECF9FAA7CC.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  101.3 KB
    Last edited by VR1; 03-15-2019 at 06:34 PM.

Okay, here is another. Macy’s pearl is at top, POJ bottom. Name:  BF5D9FAB-CE3C-4041-99D2-2A86B9C33B23.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  106.4 KB

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Clearly you are drawn to the bluer shades of Tahitians! (I am too.)

I've never seen any pearls I would consider worth buying at our local Macy's-- you got lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Clearly you are drawn to the bluer shades of Tahitians! (I am too.)

I've never seen any pearls I would consider worth buying at our local Macy's-- you got lucky!
    I am starting to think that a lot of this is a crap shoot. I mean you never know! That has been my experience. Even if the pearls are close to perfect, you just don’t know how you will feel until you see them in person. Besides this latest pendant, I have 2 other Tahitians from Macy’s that I bought years ago and I really like one of the pairs. I just stop in and look just in case. I also have a huge Tahitian ring that I bought super cheap on eBay about 15 years ago. It is 18k with diamonds and my local jeweler said it is almost a perfect pearl.

We’ll see what arrives in tomorrow’s mail!

I have been very discouraged in my search for peacock pearls since November. I bought 7 pairs of studs/pendants and I don’t like any of them. I was going to ask your opinions on them, but I decided not to. So far, none measure up to my AP studs and (yes) my Macy’s pendant. They still take my breath away every time I look at them. My pics above do not do them justice at all.

I think I am going to give up on ordering peacocks online. Maybe I just really don’t like them in person! My AP and Macy’s pearls are both silver blue. I have other Tahitians in blue and green. I just ordered another pendant from AP and taking a chance on some studs on Etsy, this time both green. I give up on peacock. So far I have not seen one peacock pearl that looks peacock to me.
    Last edited by VR1; 04-13-2019 at 08:18 AM.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Peacock seems to be one of those terms that everyone uses. The photo attached shows a range of colors that exhibit what I consider peacock color. They range from medium light to deep dark. Personally, I prefer the blue tones to the pinks, although there is an exception to every rule!
    Name:  IMG_7472.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  73.3 KB.

(Please note, the pearls on this card have all been sold)
    Etsy shop: OceansCove™
    Instagram: OceansCove™
    IGTV: Ocean's Cove™ Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove™
    Pinterest: OceansCove™

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

It can be hard to find the things you want online, when you can't examine the purchase before hand. Maybe I have been lucky in that aspect, I mostly like my online purchase. Since I live in sweden I have to shop online in order to get what I want, no pearls here (only akoyas and bad freshwaters). I have several pearls that I consider to be peacock in color. First is my 10,9 tahitian studs from Wendy at Pearlescence. It's the same studs in all of the photos. In the last one is also my multicolor rikitea strand from Cees, it has some peacock pearls as well.
    Name:  _20190413_174324.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  85.6 KB
    Name:  _20190413_174350.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  85.3 KB
    Name:  _20190413_174431.jpg
Size:  35.2 KB
    Name:  _20190413_175308.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  125.9 KB
    Next is my 8mm tahitian studs from Oceanscove. They are green with an aubergine overtone.
    Name:  _20190413_174607.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  87.1 KB
    Name:  _20190413_175137.jpg
Size:  73.7 KB
    Then a pair of circled drop tahitians. I bought the pearls from Druzydesign and wirewrapped them myself.
    Name:  _20190413_175020.jpg
Size:  97.9 KB
    Also a circled tahitian pendant I bought from Druzydesign, I didn't wirewrap this one.
    Name:  _20190413_174632.jpg
Size:  182.0 KB
    Depending on the light all of these pearls change color. Sometimes they are green, sometimes aubergine or pink, purple or blue. But they are almost always colorful and I am stunned by their beauty everytime I catch a glimt of them. The exception is bright sunlight. Then they look dark. If I really want something special I ask Wendy, at Pearlescence, or Cees, I use Instagram. They have always found the things I have been looking for. I am sure there are others to ask, for exampel Pearl Paradise, but I have only ever asked Cees and Wendy.

I get envious of everyone’s peacock pearls. I have not seen one in person that exudes those different colors. Since Nov, here is my list of “peacock AAA” pearl purchases and returns: 2 pairs of studs from Pearl Paradise, 1 pair of studs and 2 pendants from POJ, 1 pendant from Amazon (can’t remember vendor), 1 pendant from Pure Pearls, 1 pair studs from Kamoka, 1 pair studs from Pearl Source, and 1 pair studs and 1 pendant from American Pearl and 1 pearl from Macy’s. That makes 12 purchases and not 1 looks peacock to me. As I said, I do love the Macy’s pendant and AP studs and I wear them often, but they are not peacock. Also, while all the pearls had clean surfaces, none are as lustrous as them, so now I am holding everything up to that standard of “wow”.

That’s why I am wondering if maybe I really don’t like peacock in person unless it is just a rare thing and I just have not seen one. I understand about the difficulty in photographing pearls, but I don’t want to need perfect light to like them. So now I have ordered a green drop pearl pendant from AP and bright green studs from Tahiti Pearl Designer on Etsy.

I am truly exhausted but want to have a new pearl before an upcoming big trip in July. Thank you for reading!!
    Last edited by VR1; 04-13-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotta View Post
    It can be hard to find the things you want online, when you can't examine the purchase before hand. Maybe I have been lucky in that aspect, I mostly like my online purchase. Since I live in sweden I have to shop online in order to get what I want, no pearls here (only akoyas and bad freshwaters). I have several pearls that I consider to be peacock in color. First is my 10,9 tahitian studs from Wendy at Pearlescence. It's the same studs in all of the photos. In the last one is also my multicolor rikitea strand from Cees, it has some peacock pearls as well.
    Name:  _20190413_174324.jpg
Size:  85.6 KB
    Name:  _20190413_174350.jpg
Size:  85.3 KB
    Name:  _20190413_174431.jpg
Size:  35.2 KB
    Name:  _20190413_175308.jpg
Size:  125.9 KB
    Next is my 8mm tahitian studs from Oceanscove. They are green with an aubergine overtone.
    Name:  _20190413_174607.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  87.1 KB
    Name:  _20190413_175137.jpg
Size:  73.7 KB
    Then a pair of circled drop tahitians. I bought the pearls from Druzydesign and wirewrapped them myself.
    Name:  _20190413_175020.jpg
Size:  97.9 KB
    Also a circled tahitian pendant I bought from Druzydesign, I didn't wirewrap this one.
    Name:  _20190413_174632.jpg
Size:  182.0 KB
    Depending on the light all of these pearls change color. Sometimes they are green, sometimes aubergine or pink, purple or blue. But they are almost always colorful and I am stunned by their beauty everytime I catch a glimt of them. The exception is bright sunlight. Then they look dark. If I really want something special I ask Wendy, at Pearlescence, or Cees, I use Instagram. They have always found the things I have been looking for. I am sure there are others to ask, for exampel Pearl Paradise, but I have only ever asked Cees and Wendy.
    Those are all beautiful!

If I didn’t already have pearls that I really like, I would think maybe I am being too picky and have unrealistic expectations. However, I do have quite a few that I like, but most were purchased in person. Even though most of these online vendors I have dealt with have free shipping and some have free returns, it is very time consuming, plus the charges remain on my credit card for weeks before being refunded. And yes, I have seen actual photos of a few of these purchases, but the pearls did not live up to my desires in person.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    Peacock seems to be one of those terms that everyone uses. The photo attached shows a range of colors that exhibit what I consider peacock color. They range from medium light to deep dark. Personally, I prefer the blue tones to the pinks, although there is an exception to every rule!
    Name:  IMG_7472.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  73.3 KB.

(Please note, the pearls on this card have all been sold)
    Yes, thank you. And then there is the reality of how they look under normal conditions.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I do love my Tahitians, but the colors are very dependent on the light conditions. Even the brightest of the peacock pearls in the strands are light-dependent.

Golden south sea pearls, on the other hand, look golden in all kinds of light. Do you like the look of golden SSP, VR1?

Quote Originally Posted by VR1 View Post
    Yes, thank you. And then there is the reality of how they look under normal conditions.
    Just an FYI, this photo was taken under natural daylight, next to a covered window. I don't use filters, photo editing or other camera tricks.

This is a photo of a small group of Tahitians taken in my family room, under a mix of artificial overhead LED and natural filtered daylight. In other words, I took this photo under "normal" conditions. Name:  IMG_7350.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  39.8 KB
    Last edited by JerseyPearl; 04-14-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Thanks JerseyPearl! Lovely pearls, lovely photos Everone’s eyes see color differently, as well as monitors and screens. I spent an hour discussing color yesterday ... a dark green title on a brochure we were proofing, remotely from different locations, on different devices. She also had a printout and I didn’t. She wanted a deep “fir, spruce” green and saw the current color as a more yellowed green. She saw it that way on her printout which is never accurate, and inside in artificial light. I saw the existing color exactly as she wanted, but I was on a calibrated screen, and in natural lighting, and I analyzed the color components in Photoshop. Yes, color can be a challenge even in person ... 2 people will see a color differently. A person just has to find what is pleasing to their eye.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Quote Originally Posted by CathyKeshi View Post
    Thanks JerseyPearl! Lovely pearls, lovely photos Everone’s eyes see color differently, as well as monitors and screens. I spent an hour discussing color yesterday ... a dark green title on a brochure we were proofing, remotely from different locations, on different devices. She also had a printout and I didn’t. She wanted a deep “fir, spruce” green and saw the current color as a more yellowed green. She saw it that way on her printout which is never accurate, and inside in artificial light. I saw the existing color exactly as she wanted, but I was on a calibrated screen, and in natural lighting, and I analyzed the color components in Photoshop. Yes, color can be a challenge even in person ... 2 people will see a color differently. A person just has to find what is pleasing to their eye.
    Exactly! This is a fabulous example. Maybe we should begin to think of color like scent...we each experience the same scent differently (think how perfume can vary depending on the individual). Maybe the same is true of color.