Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Not sure about my "True AAA" Peacock earrings

Name:  IMG_3615(1).jpg
Views: 775
Size:  64.7 KB

Hello. First time poster, but I have collected pearls for the past 11 years. I have a lot of South Sea and Tahitians.

Please give me your opinion on these "True AAA" Tahitians from American Pearl. Darn it, I paid extra for Peacock color and True AAA (I know that is not a standard rating). They are more like silver and I wonder if they even qualify as Peacock? The luster is beautiful and nicer than many of my other pearls, but I wanted a dark Peacock. I don't see any of the colors that peacock is supposed to have. On the other hand, I could be convinced to fall in love with these as a different color from what I already own. However, I will always be partial to a darker Peacock. These were pretty expensive and, frankly, I am tired of returning items. Maybe I will order a pair from PP and ask if I can see a pic first, or at very least, ask for a dark Peacock.

I don't know if my pics will post. If they do, I would like to post pics of my other pearls for comparison. I would love any opinions. I just don't want to feel like I settled.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

The pearl on the right has a faint pink tone in the center. But I certainly didn't think "peacock" on seeing your photo.
    What was the lighting for the photo?

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I've seen peacock pearls, and the pearls in your photo don't look peacock to me. Send them back.

Go to the Kamoka website to compare your pearls to their peacock Tahitians.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lilliefuzzysocks's Avatar

Kamoka just posted these on their facebook page, I would send the American Pearl set back.

Name:  47052918_2169495289748879_2648462510444773376_n.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  70.2 KB

First-graft Pearl Senior Member Simply adorned's Avatar

They look like lovely dark grey pearls, but I don’t see any other colour than grey.
    And those Kamoka pearls are stunning!
    Last edited by Simply adorned; 12-11-2018 at 02:41 PM.

First-graft Pearl Senior Member annie's Avatar

Welcome, VR1!. I would not describe your earrings as peacock - based on the picture provided.

I second lilliefuzzysocks suggestion. KamokaPearls has beautiful earrings and what you see is what you get (wonderfully simple). I really like not having to request pictures.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

I tend to agree with what others have said; however, they are lovely pearls.

And those Kamokas are making me dizzy.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove™
    Instagram: OceansCove™
    IGTV: Ocean's Cove™ Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove™
    Pinterest: OceansCove™

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

VR1, welcome!

It so difficult when the pearls are "sort of" ok, but don't quite make the mark. Have to agree with others, the peacock just isn't there. By contrast, the Kamokas are spectacular! I hope you'll soon be showing us a new pair of beauties!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Thank you to all! I truly value your opinions. I was hoping someone would say, "OMG, those are beautiful peacocks!" LOL.

My first pic above was taken under my bathroom light. I tried posting more pics with indirect light, but the message got lost on my phone. I also want to compare to my other Tahitian earrings, but I guess I will have to wait until later.

I looked at the Kamoka Pearls site. Yes, those are truly beautiful studs, but 10mm run about $800! That is way above my price range. If anyone else has any other ideas, I would be very grateful.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Also check with Pearl Paradise and Pearls of Joy, and e-mail them and tell them what you're looking for and what your price range is, and see if they can send you photos of what they have.

But also e-mail Kamoka, and ask the same questions. They may have something not on their website in your price range.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert 86Corvettegirl's Avatar

Welcome VR1. They're beautiful pearls but they don't look peacock to me. I would definitely check out Kamoka.

First-graft Pearl Senior Member annie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VR1 View Post
    Thank you to all! I truly value your opinions. I was hoping someone would say, "OMG, those are beautiful peacocks!" LOL.

My first pic above was taken under my bathroom light. I tried posting more pics with indirect light, but the message got lost on my phone. I also want to compare to my other Tahitian earrings, but I guess I will have to wait until later.

I looked at the Kamoka Pearls site. Yes, those are truly beautiful studs, but 10mm run about $800! That is way above my price range. If anyone else has any other ideas, I would be very grateful.
    Another option...I've been stalking Oceanscove on Esty; there may be studs that fit into your budget there.

Just checked Oceanscove on Etsy. Unfortunately, they do not accept returns on earrings.

Here are my earrings again under indirect light. They look a little darker. I am warming up to them, so I have not decided 100% to return.
    However, I did pay more for peacock and if you all feel they are not peacock, then I will. Name:  IMG_3647(Edited).jpg
Views: 650
Size:  81.0 KB

Here are some of my other earrings that I like. If you have any opinion on the comparison, please feel free to give. I think my new pearls have better luster. I know it is hard to take nice pics of pearls. These all look much better than the pics.

Name:  IMG_3619(1).jpg
Views: 646
Size:  67.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_3618(1).jpg
Views: 650
Size:  74.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_3645(Edited).jpg
Views: 660
Size:  72.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by VR1; 12-12-2018 at 12:53 AM.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Andrew M's Avatar

Those pictures make me like them better, but I still wouldn't exactly stamp the "peacock" label on them.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I think they are lovely pearls but they do not look peacock. If it's peacock you want then that's what you should have.. 10mm is a great size but going down to 9 could save some money ... and I think it's worth sending a note to a seller - tell them exactly what you want- Clean face , Peacock , darker green but not so dark they look black ( Im assuming here ) and 10mm . I mention the clean face as , perhaps its a reflection, I think I see a mark on the face of that pair. To me , and when I'm grading, AAA has no marks on the face but one or two tiny marks on the back is fine.

I'm sure someone will find you something... if it's acceptable you can try for Near-Round which is less expensive but still looks round to the eye.

Definitely ask for photos, indoors and outdoors and not professional photos.