Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gift - what kind of pearls?

Hi everyone, been lurking for a while. I got interested in pearls because my husband gave me an Edwardian pearl engagement ring. This year, he gifted me my first ever pearl necklace

The jeweller isn't specialized in pearls and simply said they were cultured. Apologies for the blur; this is the best my camera can do. I was thinking that maybe these are Akoyas. They look rather dark and yellow in the photographs, but in real life they are more of an off-white ivory or cream. The reflections are also clearer than in the photographs. The smallest near the clasp are 4mm, and the largest is 9mm. I got the feeling that graduated strands and smaller pearls are seem by many as rather outdated, but I actually prefer them because I'm fairly petite.

If anyone could tell me anything about the clasp too, such as what period of time was popular for this style? The clasp itself is stamped 750 and has an estimated total of 0.40 ct diamond weight in a brilliant cut.

Thank you in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

So pretty! I can't tell you about the clasp but the pearls are akoyas.

You might want to get the necklace restrung, for safety. Silk gets old and weak, and can break. I see a gap between 2 pearls in the middle row on the left of center.

Thank you! You have a good eye too; I'll get the necklace restrung.

I'm really happy they're real because two years I bought pearl drop earrings for myself which turned out to be fakes (Thanks to your forum, I tried the grit test by rubbing together and on my teeth.) Those earrings even came with a certificate as "Grade AA"

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

mariepearl- that is one gorgeous necklace and clasp! The clasp looks edwardian/art deco to me. As you may already know, those 2 styles are similar-- . Looking closer, I think it is Art Deco due to the geometric lines and angles of the clasp and the symmetry of the design. Also the fact that it is white gold-750 is 18 ct gold- makes it more likely Art deco, as Edwardian jewelry leans toward platinum. Brilliant cut diamonds are a more modern cut and Edwardian is an older period approx 1890-1915 during King Edward VII's reign. As platinum became more expensive, gold was used in the Art deco period to save money. My bet is Art deco--1920-1939

That is one stunning necklace. I love graduated pearls, they have more visual interest, IMO. Hubby has good taste. Wear it in good health
    Last edited by 2thdktr; 12-09-2018 at 11:16 PM.

First-graft Pearl

Mariepearl - Your pearls are beautiful and timeless. Enjoy them. Your husband has good taste!

First-graft Pearl

What a beautiful necklace and clasp! I love graduated pearl necklaces -- they're so feminine and flattering.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I love it. What a beautiful triple with a wonderful clasp.

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

That is a lovely necklace. I hope sometime you post a neck shot for us to enjoy.
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

The clasp is gorgeous!

Thanks to everyone for your lovely comments! I am lucky that my husband understands and indulges my jewellery interest, since no one in his immediate family wears anything but wedding bands (not even engagement rings). So imagine how hard it was at first to explain the purpose of seemingly impractical shiny trinkets to him! But then we visited Dublin and saw all these beautiful second-hand jewellery shops and antique/fleamarkets there and I think something clicked for him then. In my family, jewellery is given as a memory of the giver or of a special moment. There are only five pieces in my jewellery collection in total, but they all have happy memories when I wear them.

Another thank you, 2thdktr for the information about the clasp Your explanation taught me a lot and even explained why my engagement ring has platinum instead of white gold.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

mariepearl. you are more than welcome.
    So happy for you that you will love this piece as a happy memory from your husband.

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

That is one heck of the present! I agree with 2thdktr - the clasp is deco and GORGEOUS!
    Check out my photos here
    Instagram: @ajs.joyful.images

First-graft Pearl Simply adorned's Avatar

Pearls are lovely, but that clasp is truly stunning!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

That's a gorgeous necklace and I love the graduation as it goes up to 9mm so they have real presence. The clasp is beautiful !! And I agree to have them restrung !

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Happy Huku's Avatar

Delightful! And enjoy every minute of wearing them.
    Happy Huku
    Queensland
    Australia