Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

I am very good company then. I can't seem to find the Nat Geo's but will do a little more digging. (There was the 1985 then the Australian SS pearl article in the 1990s I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    BPD, the Fred Ward article in the August 1985 issue of National Geographic influenced me a great deal, also.
    It does seem less "elegant" the dangle. But I also dislike those annoying little purse dangles all the young ladies seem to be into, and that is what it reminds me of.

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I actually dislike the little "M" dangle between the pearls. It annoys me and I can't shake the feeling that it is cheap looking. I know that the intent is to make it more "logo" looking, but I dislike logos.
    No, Midge said, I take it back. I wouldnt get a mink coat the first thing. Know what Id do? Id get a string of pearls. Real pearls. Yes, Annabel said, slowly. I think thats a kind of a good idea. And it would make sense, too. Because you can wear pearls with anything.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

June 1997 was the French Polynesia issue, with an article about black pearls. I didn't know there was an issue about Australian SSP.

I do recall a Smithsonian pearls article, perhaps 1990s.

BTW there are back issues of these 2 National Geographic issues for sale on eBay-- June '97 and Aug. '85
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 12-13-2018 at 03:24 AM.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

Here ya go:

Name:  nat geo 1991.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  81.8 KB

June 1997 was the French Polynesia issue, with an article about black pearls. I didn't know there was an issue about Australian SSP.

I do recall a Smithsonian pearls article, perhaps 1990s.

BTW there are back issues of these 2 National Geographic issues for sale on eBay-- June '97 and Aug. '85
    No, Midge said, I take it back. I wouldnt get a mink coat the first thing. Know what Id do? Id get a string of pearls. Real pearls. Yes, Annabel said, slowly. I think thats a kind of a good idea. And it would make sense, too. Because you can wear pearls with anything.

Cool! Thanks BPD!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Great BPD ! I never saw those articles so I'll have to see if I can find them.

And, as for the Miki Tahitians at the beginning.... I agree they are just shiny dark pearls. There must be a market out there for them as I have seen these solid coloured pearls in a few high end stores. Perhaps it is the neutral look of them ? I can see where a solid dark grey strand would work with a lot of things. Not my thing.. but to each their own

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPearlDudeDC View Post

It does seem less "elegant" the dangle. But I also dislike those annoying little purse dangles all the young ladies seem to be into, and that is what it reminds me of.
    Yes, I dislike dangly things on purses. The only exception I'll make is for my Mom's vintage Chanel purse from the 1980s or 90s with the big honking leather tassel, although even that annoys me. I've only used that purse once, and it was at last Ruckus. I felt that if I was layering up my pearls, Coco Chanel style, that I ought to use the purse, too.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Andrew M's Avatar

Interestingly enough, my mother hugely dislikes the "dangle M" on the Mikimoto strands -- has even gone so far as to tell me I don't ever need to consider anything Mikimoto because of it (yay, my wallet). However, a female friend of mine, who is 21, thinks it's pretty elegant/nice- show offy in a good way. "I'm wearing Mikimoto!" sort of thing.

I think that's definitely partially a generation thing. My younger brother wants everyone to know if he's wearing something high end, whereas the 30+ crowd (and me, since I am an 84 year old soul inside a 22 y/o) don't want the flashiness.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member judimcc6's Avatar

And here is the 1997 Nat'l Geo.
    Name:  IMG_1287.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  198.7 KB
    Judi McCormick
    Judi McCormick Studios
    www.judimccormickjewelry.com

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
    I did not know this! I always assumed that all Mikimoto had the pearl in the center (which I do like), but now I know what to be on the lookout for!
    Most of the clasps have the little pearl on them. When I called to see about exchanging the clasp on my mom's MM, they asked me what type of clasp it had. They told me they will never exchange a pearl clasp for a diamond ribbon clasp because they are different qualities. However, for a mere $290, they would be willing to exchange the white gold for a yellow gold. I would have to mail in the old clasp before they would send me a new one, or I could mail in the entire strand and they would restring it for me with the new clasp.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Andrew M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amti View Post
    Most of the clasps have the little pearl on them. When I called to see about exchanging the clasp on my mom's MM, they asked me what type of clasp it had. They told me they will never exchange a pearl clasp for a diamond ribbon clasp because they are different qualities. However, for a mere $290, they would be willing to exchange the white gold for a yellow gold. I would have to mail in the old clasp before they would send me a new one, or I could mail in the entire strand and they would restring it for me with the new clasp.
    Oh, $290 - is that all?

Oh yeah. If you ever come across a used Miki strand with the diamond clasp at a bargain price, jump on it. Those are Miki AAA's.

Or at least the clasp is....

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I actually dislike the little "M" dangle between the pearls. It annoys me and I can't shake the feeling that it is cheap looking. I know that the intent is to make it more "logo" looking, but I dislike logos.
    I agree- feel exactly the same way. I do believe their step down or lesser quality strands sold at stores such as Zales, etc., had the little "M"

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Perhaps Miki carried the standard for matching Akoya over to Tahitians, choosing roundness, same overtone and such, instead of applying an artist's eye ~ personally I don't care for the designer tags and labels showing either. Having a clasp to identify a brand is more subtle.

Probably you're right about this, Andrew,
    "I think that's definitely partially a generation thing. My younger brother wants everyone to know if he's wearing something high end, whereas the 30+ crowd (and me, since I am an 84 year old soul inside a 22 y/o) don't want the flashiness."
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Or at least the clasp is....
    True. Although I think most of us could determine whether the pearls were out of this work Miki AAAs, or lower quality replacements.