Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

Default Mikimoto Tahitians

Sometimes it is not always in a name. These are some of the flattest Tahitians I've ever seen (colorwise) and they are MM.

Name:  20181209_083401.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  68.1 KB
    “No,” Midge said, “I take it back. I wouldn’t get a mink coat the first thing. Know what I’d do? I’d get a string of pearls. Real pearls.” Yes,” Annabel said, slowly. “I think that’s a kind of a good idea. And it would make sense, too. Because you can wear pearls with anything.”

Huh, so are those dark charcoal tahitians with.... no overtone? Not my style for sure...

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I realize darker Tahitians are more valuable than lighter ones, and being clean, round and very closely matched raises their market value, but lacking overtones makes them very uninteresting to me. Might as well just buy black beads.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Andrew M's Avatar

Yeesh, not my favorite.

I brought the famous instagram-Rikitea strand in to our local jeweler, just with another piece. He almost scoffed at them, saying that "they are uneven colors" -- well, duh. That's what makes them fun.

I mean, cool and good on MM - but like PD says, might as well be black beads.

For another fun fact, I asked Mikimoto about a pair of diamond + 14mm white south sea earrings, just because I thought they were very luxurious, and wouldn't mind paying a bit of a premium for the Mikimoto name in something like that. Mikimoto's quote for the earrings - Over $80,000 (yes, four zeros). Guess Mikimoto remains out of my budget, lol.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

When I visited a local high-end jewelry store to change my watch batteries, I gave the Mikimotos a thorough examination. The Tahitians were just as you described -- uniformly dark with no overtones at all. I thought they were ugly. Probably the first time my taste ever ran toward less expensive jewelry.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Andrew M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Parrot Lady View Post
    When I visited a local high-end jewelry store to change my watch batteries, I gave the Mikimotos a thorough examination. The Tahitians were just as you described -- uniformly dark with no overtones at all. I thought they were ugly. Probably the first time my taste ever ran toward less expensive jewelry.
    I've always wanted to flip it and say "Beer tastes on a champagne budget!"

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Purranha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
    Yeesh, not my favorite.

I brought the famous instagram-Rikitea strand in to our local jeweler, just with another piece. He almost scoffed at them, saying that "they are uneven colors" -- well, duh. That's what makes them fun.

I mean, cool and good on MM - but like PD says, might as well be black beads.

For another fun fact, I asked Mikimoto about a pair of diamond + 14mm white south sea earrings, just because I thought they were very luxurious, and wouldn't mind paying a bit of a premium for the Mikimoto name in something like that. Mikimoto's quote for the earrings - Over $80,000 (yes, four zeros). Guess Mikimoto remains out of my budget, lol.
    Them diamonds better be 2 carats EACH.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Wowza, that's a lot of $$$ for earrings...I agree with Purr!

BPDDC, the world of pearls would be a very boring place if every strand looked like this one. For me, personally, the beauty of Tahitians is their ability to color shift. Don't get me wrong, I love a good uniform strand of pearls (white akoya, blue akoya, etc)...but with Tahitians, I much prefer the variety of colors to show their beauty. I'm sure that strand is stunning, for the reasons noted by PDs...but it's just not my cup of tea.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove™
    Instagram: OceansCove™
    IGTV: Ocean's Cove™ Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove™
    Pinterest: OceansCove™

Definitely not a strand I would look at beyond a glance... For me, the beauty of Tahitians is their rich, shifting color.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

The first strand of Tahitians I saw in person was a strand of big “gumball” “black Tahitian” pearls. Well matched, dark charcoal grey black, dull as lead, no overtones, no glow, no rich lustre ... Big name ticket and highly “discounted” price of just under $10,000. and so not my cup of tea. As I recall, I dragged Walter over to look, we laughed hard, and I said “Guess you don’t have to worry about buying me Tahitian pearls ... “
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Octavia's Mom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CathyKeshi View Post
    The first strand of Tahitians I saw in person was a strand of big “gumball” “black Tahitian” pearls. Well matched, dark charcoal grey black, dull as lead, no overtones, no glow, no rich lustre ... Big name ticket and highly “discounted” price of just under $10,000. and so not my cup of tea. As I recall, I dragged Walter over to look, we laughed hard, and I said “Guess you don’t have to worry about buying me Tahitian pearls ... “
    Great story!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

GenGeek, I couldn’t imagine why anyone would buy a Tahitian pearl ... lol, I’ve seen the error in my thinking thanks to PG !
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

I was about to say Cath, your Man probably thinks he dreamed that conversation by now!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

This is exactly why I thought I didn't like Tahitian pearls, before I found Pearl Guide. My tastes run to multicolored, ringed, banded and baroque, more pastel Tahitians, which I didn't know existed until I found PG.

I did actually see a 24" strand of Tahitians, Mikimoto, I think, at a shop in San Francisco. They were dark, but they did have lots of color, unlike that photo up there. I would have been tempted, but I think it cost $8 to $10 thousand. Inexpensive because of all the color, I suspect.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

You know I don't mind the dark color (as I love "black" pearls). Of course the nice round shape has its appeal too, but the pearls over all seemed sad, lifelessly dull, they are well matched, for lack of a better word they seemed "Flat", for a name like MM, the luster should've been really really good. But I do take into account my phone sucks, the pearl pic are nearly what my eyes had seen up close.
    Last edited by BlackPearlDudeDC; 12-10-2018 at 03:47 PM.
    “No,” Midge said, “I take it back. I wouldn’t get a mink coat the first thing. Know what I’d do? I’d get a string of pearls. Real pearls.” Yes,” Annabel said, slowly. “I think that’s a kind of a good idea. And it would make sense, too. Because you can wear pearls with anything.”