Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Helen In Texas
    Posts
    1,757

    Default

    Oh... I'm drooling over these beautiful pearls! Such an amazing blue strand! Those Ts are pretty swell too! Have you tried acetone to remove the end?

  2. #32
    Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    6,242

    Default

    I have found that if I start with almost boiling water and let it sit... then a bath in Acetone .... then the hot water .. then Acetone and then try to gently push or pull ( whichever works ) then repeat. I've dropped the piece , completely immersed, in hot water and microwaved it for 20 sec.... then acetone... the push and or pull. At time I've had to do this process 4 times just to get the pearl cup off. But I've never had one that didn't release.

    Obviously this is all a pretty 'last ditch' effort lol If you can just get the tiniest bit of movement after two rounds ... you should be good eventually.

  3. #33
    First-graft Pearl Masik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    N. California
    Posts
    132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amti View Post
    Oh... I'm drooling over these beautiful pearls! Such an amazing blue strand! Those Ts are pretty swell too! Have you tried acetone to remove the end?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    I have found that if I start with almost boiling water and let it sit... then a bath in Acetone .... then the hot water .. then Acetone and then try to gently push or pull ( whichever works ) then repeat. I've dropped the piece , completely immersed, in hot water and microwaved it for 20 sec.... then acetone... the push and or pull. At time I've had to do this process 4 times just to get the pearl cup off. But I've never had one that didn't release.

    Obviously this is all a pretty 'last ditch' effort lol If you can just get the tiniest bit of movement after two rounds ... you should be good eventually.
    Thank you, Ladies!
    Sounds pretty complicated
    I wil try tomorrow and tell you the results.

    My apology for highjacking the thread, CricketBug!

  4. #34
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,593

    Default

    Beautiful pearls, Masik!

  5. #35
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member CricketBug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masik View Post
    Thank you, Ladies!
    Sounds pretty complicated
    I wil try tomorrow and tell you the results.

    My apology for highjacking the thread, CricketBug!
    No worries, Masik! I love learning new things, and while I've tried my hand at stringing pearls with varied results, I only used "traditional" clasps. So, learning that pearls can withstand acetone is interesting!

  6. #36
    Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    10,627

    Default

    Oh, the baroque blue akoyas are wonderful size, and the way the nacre looks dripped all over is what I especially like! Good luck with that tricky clasp. I haven't used that style for the very reasons the others mention.

    Fun to see some of the larger sizes, CricketBug!
    Pattye


    PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

    facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

    SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

  7. #37
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member CricketBug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    Oh, the baroque blue akoyas are wonderful size, and the way the nacre looks dripped all over is what I especially like! Good luck with that tricky clasp. I haven't used that style for the very reasons the others mention.

    Fun to see some of the larger sizes, CricketBug!
    I agree! I love seeing the gorgeous pearls that others have collected.

    My two nieces visited Australia and were in Broome. They were right by a Paspalay storefront... and didn't have much interest! Can't believe they're related to me! LOL! Later after returning home, there were regrets about not going in, and regrets about not purchasing at least "a" small pearl. LOL! They're both pearl-nuts, now. Live n' learn...

  8. #38
    Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    10,627

    Default

    Cricketbug, Well, sometimes we feel a bit intimidated about going into the fancy stores, but we need to be confident and check them out! Glad to hear the gals are pearl-nuts now! Paspaley, drool!! Seems like some of the high end jewelry are doing some simpler pearls that are budget friendy, too.
    Pattye


    PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

    facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

    SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

  9. #39
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member CricketBug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    Cricketbug, Well, sometimes we feel a bit intimidated about going into the fancy stores, but we need to be confident and check them out! Glad to hear the gals are pearl-nuts now! Paspaley, drool!! Seems like some of the high end jewelry are doing some simpler pearls that are budget friendy, too.
    Oh, they were fine about going into spendy stores, it's just that they weren't particularly interested in pearls. It's quite amusing now—pearls are a source of fascination. LOL!

  10. #40
    Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    10,627

    Default

    No turning back now, CricketBug!! That is funny!
    Pattye


    PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

    facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

    SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Similar Threads

  1. Vietnamese Blue Akoya Pearls
    By tahitiangirl in forum Akoya Pearls
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-08-2018, 07:21 PM
  2. On the hunt for blue baroque akoya pearls
    By Katalin in forum Akoya Pearls
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-15-2015, 06:28 PM
  3. Blue baroque akoya pearls
    By PearlLVR in forum Akoya Pearls
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-24-2015, 10:51 AM
  4. Small size of Akoya Pearls in Shortage
    By Bigwellpearls in forum Akoya Pearls
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 04:27 PM
  5. Blue grey akoya pearls
    By Adeline Leigh in forum Akoya Pearls
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-29-2012, 07:39 AM