Hybrid View

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

Default Help needed! Want to give a guitar away

I am hoping maybe someone can help me here. I want to give a guitar away. It is in Chicago right now with my good friend Tyler, whom I've asked to help me find a recipient as he works at a high school where the kids don't have much money. But he's been very quiet about it so I will ask here as well.

The guitar is a Martin Jr. Sappele, purely acoustic (this one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...sapele-natural). It has been used for a few weeks only. It is a mid-range guitar, not high-end but not cheap either. Solid top and layered side and bottom. It is slightly smaller than regular sized guitars so will work for youngsters or hands with arthritis too.

It doesn't do it for me, doesn't fit how I like to play, so I bought another one and decided that rather than sell this one, in the spirit of Christmas, I want to give it away to someone who wants to play and can't afford a good instrument. If someone here would love to play and can't afford a guitar or know someone in such a situation, please send me a PM. If more apply, I'll draw lots.

- Karin

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

If no one requests it, you could donate it to a charity that would sell it. For example, Habitat for Humanity's ReStore shop in Chicago:
    https://www.habitatchicago.org/restore

I’ll save that link.

First-graft Pearl

I Googled "where to donate instruments chicago" and got a few good leads. One is called Hungry for Music, another specializes in guitars, etc.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Many middle schools and High schools don't have enough funds for instruments for the students. I know this as we donated most instruments to the music program at our middle school-- even the elementary schools need instruments. This may be an avenue to consider as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thdktr View Post
    Many middle schools and High schools don't have enough funds for instruments for the students. I know this as we donated most instruments to the music program at our middle school-- even the elementary schools need instruments. This may be an avenue to consider as well.
    That is what I was hoping for from my friend Tyler who works at a high school. But I have another lead now for that kind of donation. Just need to check with Tyler that he didn't get around to it yet.

Just want to wrap this up...

Andrew knows people who would appreciate the guitar so it will head to him before long. So Andrew gets to give more beautiful things away, my friend Tyler insists on paying for sending it (I was going to wait until March when I am there as I suspected he wouldn't take that money from me) so it can make it for Christmas and I feel good

- Karin

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

It looks like you have made a choice, but in case anyone is interested, a friend of mine started a non profit called, Pick with Austin which gives guitars and the gift of music to troubled teens. He started the organization after his son committed suicide.

Thank you, Amti. I could see myself just sending a new guitar to a charity like that. This one is spoken for but next time I feel like spending some money, it would be better for me to give a guitar than buy pearls.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

What a lovely gesture and I'm sure it will be much appreciated at it's new home ! Merry Christmas Karin!!!

It will be going to a high school guitar program, for in class use by the kids who don't have enough money to afford their own instruments yet.

Thanks again, and what an awesome gesture from you.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

Karin, you've done a wonderful thing. What a great way to start the month of giving!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

That’s wonderful, Karin! So many schools just don’t have the funds for music and art programs.