Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    I have a few clients who love threaded posts/screw on back for this very reason! Also, butterfly backs can be adjusted to tighten their grip, however, you also need to make sure the hole in the back is properly sized as well.
    Unfortunately, I found out that threaded posts make my ears hurt and itch so badly. I found it out with a pair of antique victorian diamond earrings that had platinum screw posts. I had never had a problem before with any metal or post. My jeweler told me it's a common problem.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonade3 View Post
    Thanks for the input! My issue with the butterfly backs is that on one ear I have a bit of scar tissue, which makes that ear slightly thicker than normal. There just isn’t enough of the post left to really get a good grip on the back. I’ve had trouble with the back coming off, etc. my solution to this has been a pair of Chrysmela Catch backs, which have been lifesavers! They really stay put and I don’t worry. I’ll try Lobe Wonder and see if that will work. I just worry that I look like a complete clown in these studs. It could be that I’m just not used to them?
    They look lovely on you. You are not used to them yet. I remember the first time I put on my 12mm South Sea studs. I thought I looked like Minnie Mouse ( She wears those big pearls- clever mouse). Now I put on 14 Mm sterling studs for a fun night out. They droop, but I actually like the look. I have plastic disks that thread on the post if i want to perk them up.

First-graft Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by 2thdktr View Post
    Unfortunately, I found out that threaded posts make my ears hurt and itch so badly.
    I, too, have negative reactions to threaded posts. I thought it was the scratchiness.

I use silikon backs for my studs, they are about 10 -12 mm wide I think. When I use those the studs sits really centered on my earlobes, not hanging. They are also more secure. I bought a big pack of maybe 20 pairs, didn't cost much. They also work on smaller studs. I think about 9,5 mm is the perfect size for studs, I think that you will love them ones you get them to sit right.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2thdktr View Post
    Unfortunately, I found out that threaded posts make my ears hurt and itch so badly. I found it out with a pair of antique victorian diamond earrings that had platinum screw posts. I had never had a problem before with any metal or post. My jeweler told me it's a common problem.
    Yep, I find them a bit uncomfortable to wear as well...but I do have some clients who love them. I only own one pair of threaded earrings, and I use a tiny little bit of aquaphor on the threads before inserting them into my piercing. That seems to help them go in smoothy and keeps the irritation down.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    IGTV: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I have a hard time with threaders because of the rasping effect, similar to that of threaded posts.

My diamond studs have these posts and backs from Stuller-- they lock in place and do not come off until one squeezes the back to line up the holes the post fits through. The backs will not work with other posts-- you need both, as a system.
    https://www.stuller.com/products/225...rce=SiteSearch

Name:  EarringLock set from Stuller.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  13.1 KB

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

2thdktr This is interesting info on the threaded backs..I've not used them but I have friends who used them on Diamond studs. I too recently moved up to 12.6mm WSS studs. I thought they would bother me but it's been fine. The butterfly is about 9mm so it supports them pretty well.

Charlotta - I've got a bag full of the big Silicon backs ... they work well and are a little less conspicuous than giant gold backs. We don't have lobe wonder here so I've never tried it. I should order some from Amazon. My pearls get bigger ....and bigger....

PearlDreams = I am so glad that you posted about those backs ! I've seen them on Stuller but didn't quite get how they worked. Thanks for that information !

I think they're perfect for those with big earlobes and even if not, they're good if you wanna make a statement.