Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AAA or Freshadama

I am in the market for picking up a second pearl strand during these cyber-week sales (ordered first one from Pearl Source, but not sure what to expect after finding this forum). Does anyone have a photo of a AAA lavender strand next to a Freshadama/Gem lavender strand? I'm also interested in same for a pink strand.

Regarding color. I notice the pink strands tend to have more of a peach color whereas a lot of the lavender strands seem to appear more of a pink color. My wife hates pink and loves purple. I feel like I can either hit a home run or a total miss depending on what shade of lavender I might end up with. Any advice?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Nugchompa; 11-28-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I don't have photos for you but you can ask vendors for side by side photos of pearls of different grades.

You can also ask for photos of several lavender strands that tend more toward purple. Some lavenders are warmer toned than others.

Also, lavender is not the same as purple. I have seen photos of Edison strands (large, high grade bead-nucleated fwp) that are more nearly purple but these are few and far between (not to mention expensive!)
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 11-28-2018 at 10:21 PM. Reason: typo

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I would probably avoid the pink strands then. Ask for photos of any purple or dark lavender next to a white strand. Keeping in mind that photos can appear a bit darker than the pearls in real life. Ask for outside sunlight as well as indoors. Some lavenders have a poor colour that can show a bit tan/beige. You want to avoid that.

I'm awaiting a lavender gem grade 9.5-10mm opera length strand. I too was wondering why Freshadama strands are twice the price of gem/elite/aaaa from other vendors. Are they that much more lustrous or rounder to warrant the price? I'm also currently in the market for a white freshwater opera length. A shorter strand of aaaa freshwater from TPS I purchased were nice but a bit potato shaped, and I'd like something rounder.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Just a word of advice on comparisons between vendors: There is no uniform grading system for cultured pearls. Each vendor will categorize their pearls differently so it really is like comparing apples to oranges. If Pearl Paradise has a gem grade pearl, you can rest assured that it really is spectacular. My understanding of their grading is that Freshadama is their top quality freshwater grade...someone please correct me if I am wrong on that.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    IGTV: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

I found some bargain (costume) jewelry with similar colors to the lavender and pink pearls, and I showed my wife to see which she preferred. She probably thinks she is getting something off a bargain rack, but it appears she likes the pink/peach color more than the lavender. She does have dark skin. I guess now it would be nice to see the difference between AAA/Elite or AAA/Freshadama. Do any other companies make necklace strands out of the highest quality earring and pendant pearls?

I assume you already looked at Pearl Paradise and Pearls of Joy.

Pure Pearls has their own gem grade freshwaters ("Elite"):
    https://www.purepearls.com/collectio...ater-necklaces

I have an idea...for some future gift giving occasion...have you considered golden south sea pearls? They can look absolutely amazing on darker skin. Once we ladies start loving pearls, our pearl wardrobes tend to grow...can't ever have too many pearls you know....

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member judimcc6's Avatar

And, please, please, make sure you get a guarantee that they are not dyed pearls. I know that Pearl Paradise, Pearls of Joy will guarantee their pearls.
    Judi McCormick
    Judi McCormick Studios
    www.judimccormickjewelry.com

I ended up picking a lavender AAA from Pearl Paradise. I really hope it has rich color.

I recently bought a 16 inch hank of AAA freshwater pearls because I am going to match up with other pearls/gems and knot one or more strands. The color is definitely quite peach,not pink, and very warm and lovely. Pearl surface of AAA is vitually eye clean and luster is very good, not as brilliant of course as freshadama or metallic. I found some fantastic freshwater keshis at MerryPearl on Esty which match fabulously and whenever I finish fooling around with a design, I'll photo finished product for all to see. Bottom line, the PP pink/peach AAA pearls are quite lovely.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BAS's Avatar

Lavender is extremely tricky. They can have tones of blue, or pink, and even brown! Deep lavender is a rarity. I happened to take a shot of my lavenders for another thread. You can see my jumble of a triple strand in AAA seems pink in comparison to my newest, deepest single lavender strand.

PP has excellent customer service and certainly return it if you're not thrilled. But also, live with it a few days before returning! I often change my feelings as I see pieces over a few days in varying lights.

Attachment 63616

Name:  11-26-18 1.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  11-27-18 1.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  74.8 KB

Attachment 63619

Quote Originally Posted by BAS View Post
    Name:  11-27-18 1.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  74.8 KB
    I was hoping for some color in between your top and middle strand. Probably closer to middle, but I think something a little lighter would look nice. I fear she may call the top one pink. I personally find both lovely.

Thank you for the photos. They really illustrate how broad the range can be (and even broader by the sound of it).

I just got my first order in from The Pearl Source. I sure hope my wife’s neck is a lot smaller than mine because 18” is a tight choker when I hold it to my neck.

I finally got both orders in after some USPS delays. I honestly am surprised by how pale the lavenders are. They looked slightly off-white until I held them up to the other pearls. After seeing multiple strands of lavenders, I feel they really are some of the lightest I’ve come across.

Should I even try for another strand or just assume this is a typical lavender?

Last edited by Nugchompa; 12-08-2018 at 05:08 AM.

These are my lavender studs...also quite pastel.

Name:  Lavender metallic studs.jpeg
Views: 49
Size:  24.7 KB