Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I hate a Ball Clasp. Like the Fishhook that is on so many of the Chinese necklaces, they are a pain and I find they don't work well on anything heavy. I like a Toggle on heavy pearls, the weight keeps the tension on and they are easy to use. Also a nice looking Hook and Eye, something with a bit of swirl and style are really easy on anything with weight.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I've gotten rid of all my ball clasps that have the fishhook tongue. I've replaced them all with either balls that screw (that sounds dirtier than it is), although I only use those as decorative disco balls and never unscrew them. Or with orbit clasps, which I love.

The orbit clasp is secure, and it makes the necklace sit well at the back of the neck. It's also great when worn in front because you can hang a pendant off it. And it's decorative enough that you can string several necklaces together and have the clasp show, and it looks like cool links.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BAS's Avatar

I agree. I'm a fan of the orbit clasp. The shiny ball clasps are thin gold that get dinged easily, too. The ball on the matte ball clasps seem a bit sturdier. And I've had to "open" the tongue many times on the ball clasps for them to continue clicking closed.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I wonder how long the orbit clasps work before their spring gives up? Has anyone ever had them fail?

I've never had an orbit clasp fail in the 5 or 6 years I've been using them. They seem very sturdy. I've never had a little spring ring fail, either, and the orbits are a huge step up from those wimpy little things.

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I've never had an orbit clasp fail in the 5 or 6 years I've been using them. They seem very sturdy.
    Where do you suggest to source orbit clasps? I love the look of them, and the idea that all manner of different strands could be worn in different combos using these clasps!

I've bought orbit clasps from Pearl Paradise (search on "orbit clasp") and I've bought them from Rio Grande Jewelry Supply (search on "oval push clasp").

I prefer the solid gold clasps, although I have some vermeil orbit clasps that came on necklaces from Kojima that are also very good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I've bought orbit clasps from Pearl Paradise (search on "orbit clasp") and I've bought them from Rio Grande Jewelry Supply (search on "oval push clasp").

I prefer the solid gold clasps, although I have some vermeil orbit clasps that came on necklaces from Kojima that are also very good quality.
    Thank you, @BWeaves ! This is a paper-thin excuse to go on a search that includes beautiful pearls...

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Purranha's Avatar

Strangely, I actually like ball clasps! I like how the shape is more blended into the pearl shapes, and thankfully haven’t had issues with loose ones.

I wonder if there are some easy adjustments to tighten those? Will have to do some research, and ask some of our vendors.

If anyone wants to get rid off their working ball clasps, I’d be interested in providing shelter/adopting!

I like the look of the ball clasps, but until I find a brand where the tongue thingy is bigger and more robust, and the ball itself is stronger, I'll stick with the orbits.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Charlotta's Avatar

Once I had a ball clasp that didn't stay i place, but I just opened the tongue a bit and then it worked again. Haven't had any issues after that.

I've opened up the tongue on a ball clasp that wouldn't hold before. Unfortunately, after a few times of doing that, it broke. You have to be careful not to overwork the tongue.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Andrew M's Avatar

Thanks for all the thoughts, folks! I think the orbit will be the way to go.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert 86Corvettegirl's Avatar

Has anyone had any experience with screw on ball clasps? I like the orbit clasp & I also like the plunge clasp.

Yes, I have several screw on ball clasps. I like that they look like a bead, and not a clasp.

To be honest, I only use them decoratively. Mine are white gold set with CZs and look like disco balls. I wear them on the side, so they show. I always check that they haven't unscrewed. I only have one that tends to unscrew itself, and the others stay snug.

I don't want to strip the screw thread, so I don't use them on necklaces that I can't put on over my head.

The screw type should have a swivel loop on each end, so that when you are screwing them, you are not twisting the pearls.

Ideally the screw should last a long time without stripping.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 02-13-2019 at 12:30 PM.