Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    First-graft Pearl

VIP Pearl Items I actually have the budget left to buy: maybe 1

VIP Pearl Items I wish I had the budget left to buy: 5718789175891728312098

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Ooh Purranha you made my day! Thank you for confirming the colors of your Edisons; those are indeed the colors I had my eye on Love the Edison GSS pairing too, but I agree with you I like then best on their own or with those big ripples. Enjoy!!!
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

BWeaves that Kojima ombre necklace is so lovely!
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

So Kojima came out with two T necklaces for today and were under holiday sale and one was exactly what I've wanted for forever - a dark blue/purple strand... I made mention to DH and noted the sale, and mysteriously it sold five minutes later.

I am seriously hoping I see that thing under the tree.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

Yes, you need to keep checking the PP VIP launch site daily for updates, which clearly some of us are doing. I've just added it to my daily pearl site checking rotation.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I have no idea how to share glamour shots.
    With Kojima I do a screen print of the pearls and save it in Microsoft Paint, crop and then you can upload the picture as usual. It's nice to post the picture because links will sometimes disappear.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Purranha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
    VIP Pearl Items I actually have the budget left to buy: maybe 1

VIP Pearl Items I wish I had the budget left to buy: 5718789175891728312098
    BWAHHHAHAHAHAHAH I could NOT agree more!

Traveling Pearl Senior Guide Member jeg's Avatar

So, I will have to catch up on this thread, but in the meantime, just want to say that I will look forward to seeing some of your Edisons in person! The colors are unreal.

Jesskat- fingers crossed for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    I'm loving everyone's photos!

A digression from the main topic...feel free to skip this post.

No buys for me this time around...I had to pay a tree removal service $$$$ Monday to remove 3 trees in our front yard that threatened our roof and our power lines. I was particularly sad to have to lose the birch tree, which we've enjoyed for the past 24 years, but it was diseased and only a matter of time.... Some of our neighbors voiced their dismay at seeing it cut down. Odd, one doesn't think that neighbors care about one's trees. But they walk their dogs past our house every day and it was part of their neighborhood. Trees move us in a deep way.

A few years ago we hired this same company to remove 3 other tall trees in our back and side yard, for the same reason-- they loomed over our roof and our neighbor's driveway. I imagined their cars being wrecked, if a huge branch broke off our silver maple, which is a brittle tree. (When I was a child, our neighbor's tree demolished the roof of our two car garage.) Two weeks after we had those trees removed, a microburst came through the town, doing a lot of damage. We dodged a bullet that time!

Anyway, please keep the photos coming!
    PD: Wow 3 trees at once, that's a major undertaking! We just had a very large hackberry (at least 40-50 ft tall) cut down in our front yard before Thanksgiving. I was surprised at how sad it made me feel to cut down a mature tree, I'm sure it was planted when our house was built ~50 years ago. The trunk was rotting out, around half of the diameter of the trunk was already gone when we bought the house. The previous owner chose to treat the tree by spraying expandable foam in the hole and painting it the color of the bark. Uhhh....... dude, really!? Even though the tree wasn't dead and seemed to bloom each spring, I was so scared the tree would fall back on our house or someone's car in our front yard. Every time the weather would change and the wind would pick up, or after heavy rain, small to medium dead branches would fall and I'd get that feeling of dread. So between cutting down the tree, grinding the stump ~2 feet below the ground, and buying another tree to be planted (gotta plant my roots sometime!), we don't have a huge budget for Christmas this year. But luckily I can live vicariously through everyone else! And plan out my list for the future. Having a well-kept home is a gift right?

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

CBPearllover, you were wise to cut it down. The safety of the home comes first.

We used to have such nice shade to sit under in our back yard and my husband was particularly distressed at losing his shade. We put up a Coleman canopy but it's a poor substitute. I would like to put in a ginkgo tree, but further back in the yard. Maybe this spring.

First-graft Pearl

I fear our aspen trees may soon be receiving the same fate -- it's too bad to see them go, but sometimes it just happens. Sorry to hear about your trees - and do share if you find a good substitute for the shade as well.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    CBPearllover, you were wise to cut it down. The safety of the home comes first.

We used to have such nice shade to sit under in our back yard and my husband was particularly distressed at losing his shade. We put up a Coleman canopy but it's a poor substitute. I would like to put in a ginkgo tree, but further back in the yard. Maybe this spring.
    I feel your pain, PD. I built my house 20+ years ago ( in the woods) and made sure that there was at least 100 feet between any large trees and the house. Of course I planted ornamentals near the house and my beautiful Kwansan cherry tree that we sit under and enjoy the shade and gorgeous blossoms in the spring, is slowly dying. Breaks my heart. I guess they don't love New England as much--the water gets under the bark and freezes and splits the trunk. All my trees are like family members to me. It's nice that your neighbors appreciate them. So sorry hubby is having the very worst week!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

Yeah our Sheri did an amazing job. These are my signature colors.

Alas no purple Eds for me...I did make puppy dog eyes at Santa but the poker face I received in return now has me a bit curious LOL. (Fingers crossed, but Im doubtful).

Quote Originally Posted by Purranha View Post
    Ursula's enamel is such a GORGEOUS shade of purple!!! BPDDC did you grab a purple edison strand (or two or three) to go with Ursula???
    “No,” Midge said, “I take it back. I wouldn’t get a mink coat the first thing. Know what I’d do? I’d get a string of pearls. Real pearls.” Yes,” Annabel said, slowly. “I think that’s a kind of a good idea. And it would make sense, too. Because you can wear pearls with anything.”

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPearlDudeDC View Post
    Believe me I understand the Health challenges cutting into the pearl budget ! That has been the last two years!

Can't say the same about the trees now here in the City, but when I was much younger back in the south I always marveled why the trees were so close to the house when there was enough yard to create wind breaks and shading etc without risking damage from falling branches. Thinking back on it basically every relative that comes to mind had trees really close to the house (which is how we could sneak in and out of the house...sorry mom).

Back on topic...I did get really teeny tiny akoya earrings even smaller than PP normal 3.5-4mm for holiday gifts, but now that I've seen them I wished they offer the teeny tiny akoya in "black" or even cwfp for that matter. I've added Ursula for size comparisons

Attachment 63822
    Love love love Ursula’s purple coloring! She will pair nicely with so many pearls

I live in a densely wooded neighborhood where the local joke is, “don’t walk on windy days!” Most of the houses date to the 1920s and 1930s, with many older tall hardwoods towering over the houses and above ground utilities. It’s a real mess. About 3 years ago, I had a 130’ hickory tree fall on my house during a summer storm, crushing my roof and upstairs bedroom. I was at home at the time, but not upstairs thankfully. Since then I’ve had 6 trees removed, and another 3 planned to remove in the next few months. It pains me to take them down, but it’s just not worth the risk. I really miss the shady spots, but I also appreciate the new sunny patches.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Problematic trees, and the need to remove them, isn't a topic I ever discussed with others before. After reading Andrew's, 2thdktr's and sunseeker's posts I see my family and I are in good company! Sunseeker, your experience is especially chilling!!

I've not been able to sleep at all tonight, due to side effects from dose 2 of Shingrix vaccine, plus H's snoring. I think I'll go try again...