Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

Default Hair Color and Jewelry Choices

A couple of days ago I was sitting in a coffee shop reading a book (Cecil Beaton The Royal Portraits- by Roy Strong... which by the way is not easy book to toss in a backpack and run to coffee) and an older lady sitting across the way stopped by on her way out to comment on the book.

I don't remember all that we talked about but the conversion turned to a chat about hair color. She was a fan of yellow gold jewelry and when she was younger that is all she would wear, but as she matured and her hair become increasingly silver she began to wear more white gold and sterling silver, she mentioned she wanted golden pearls but she has given up the gold dream. She commented I always wears white pearls because they go with everything as evidenced by the former Queen mother LoL (and yes she was British). Apparently this lady was a former red head and found yellow gold jewelry to be quite complimentary to her style.

(I told her I thought Tahitian Cultured Pearls would be a wonderful choice for her if she found the right strand and not to give up on "colored" pearls)

I know style changes, but if your hair has or is in the process of change, do you alter your jewelry wardrobe? I tend to feel people are too stuck on some ideas of fashion rules. I dislike perceived fashion rules prevent people from wearing things they truly love, but practical is practical after all. I feel sad she will never buy golden south sea pearls even though she really wants a strand...Anyhow as I ended the conversation I mentioned perhaps she could start with a GSSP ring in a white metal and work her way towards a strand, there are so many shades of GSSP surely she would find something that makes her comfortable and not to give up the dream.

BARKIN.jpg
    Last edited by BlackPearlDudeDC; 11-14-2018 at 04:43 PM.
    No, Midge said, I take it back. I wouldnt get a mink coat the first thing. Know what Id do? Id get a string of pearls. Real pearls. Yes, Annabel said, slowly. I think thats a kind of a good idea. And it would make sense, too. Because you can wear pearls with anything.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert 86Corvettegirl's Avatar

It's sad that the lady won't get GSS because she thinks the color won't fit. There are so many different shades & orients of GSS. I hope she does try a ring or something small to find the right color. GSS are set in white gold so she can still have the white metal.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I love 2 and 3 color gold, so I mix all the colors. I'm in the process of going grey from being a sort of strawberry blond redhead back in the day.

The reason I haven't bought a full necklace of gold pearls has more to do with my skin color than my hair color. My skin has a yellow tinge and yellow gold looks great on my skin, but yellow stones (citrine, golden pearls, yellow diamonds, etc.) disappear against my skin. No point in wearing stones that disappear. However, mixed necklaces, with different colors of pearls look great and really pop. I love golden pearls on other people, but I haven't found ones that pop on my yet.

I just watched the documentary "Love Cecil" last night. It was very interesting and had lots of photos and video clips. Lots of stuff I didn't know about him.

Of course you need to think about your hair, eye and skin color when choosing jewelry and clothing. Its crazy to me that some women will wear jewelry that clashes with their clothing, its even crazier that they would wear clothes or jewelry that doesn't flatter their coloring.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

If anything I favor warmer tones more as my hair becomes grayer.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

My hair has been every color under the sun and even my skin tone has changed over time. I always wore yellow gold because it worked best with my skin tone and I loved its richness, but about 10 years ago I suddenly switched to white gold, probably because my my skin became paler and pinker as I got older. I can't even stand in the same room with someone wearing rose gold. lol! I think I like Tahitians so much because they stand out against my skin instead of washing out like light colored pearls.

I am going to have to look up that documentary. Lately I've been in a mood and searching past favorite photographers and contrasting their styles, its been interesting and not even sure of my motivation but sometimes jewelry design ideas come to me from photographs that have nothing to do with jewelry, perhaps odd to say that now that I mention it out loud LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I love 2 and 3 color gold, so I mix all the colors. I'm in the process of going grey from being a sort of strawberry blond redhead back in the day.

The reason I haven't bought a full necklace of gold pearls has more to do with my skin color than my hair color. My skin has a yellow tinge and yellow gold looks great on my skin, but yellow stones (citrine, golden pearls, yellow diamonds, etc.) disappear against my skin. No point in wearing stones that disappear. However, mixed necklaces, with different colors of pearls look great and really pop. I love golden pearls on other people, but I haven't found ones that pop on my yet.

I just watched the documentary "Love Cecil" last night. It was very interesting and had lots of photos and video clips. Lots of stuff I didn't know about him.
    No, Midge said, I take it back. I wouldnt get a mink coat the first thing. Know what Id do? Id get a string of pearls. Real pearls. Yes, Annabel said, slowly. I think thats a kind of a good idea. And it would make sense, too. Because you can wear pearls with anything.

Individual tastes are just that individual tastes. She invested lots of money in gold jewelry that she can no longer wear based on the false assumption her hair color prevents it, that is absurd to me.

It also saddens me this lady would deprive herself of something that could give her joy simply based on someone else opinion. I'd never make that type of judgement, particularly because jewelry is often sentimental and has some emotional attachment to it, and as I mentioned to her as long as it is her own strong feeling that she is no longer able to wear that is one thing, but she should wear what she loves, after all it is hers to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
    Of course you need to think about your hair, eye and skin color when choosing jewelry and clothing. Its crazy to me that some women will wear jewelry that clashes with their clothing, its even crazier that they would wear clothes or jewelry that doesn't flatter their coloring.

I have a cousin that is "ginger" and has been dying her hair as she gets older. We were talking about using certain gemstones in a pearl necklace for her that I am going back and forth on...mostly my own lack of inspiration.
    She mentioned she is still thinking about what colors she is favoring now that she might easy up on the dying (giving her hair a rest), probably because I keep pushing her to give me some ideas about colors. I also shared the story above with her considering we've been working on this necklace. One of the other reasons I made this post, curiosity.

As an aside we had a laugh for some childhood memories I told her my hair still gets "reddish" highlights in the summer and I've always hated it, though it seems to be less and less. I was telling her as I get older and when the gray starts to come in full force I wonder what I will look like with all sorts of weird tones in my hair. As a guy (no sexism meant) I did not think too much about the hair color in that way before, but now I am starting to based on some of these conversations. When grown out, my beard has 3 tones in it... though subtle...the reddish becomes light brown which nearly looks like the gray!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Me, too. I find that white metals are too monochromatic.

One afternoon a couple of months ago, I sampled one white gold earring and one yellow gold -- the difference was startling, and I learned that yellow gold is definitely my friend.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

I wear all colors of metals. I will say that I don't wear dark-colored dangle earrings though (pearl or otherwise) since my hair is so dark. No one can tell when I'm wearing something like that so there's really no point. That's really the only thing I actively avoid. If my hair was lighter that would definitely make a difference.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I've always worn yellow gold and my hair was always blond/tan streaks. Now it's sort of ash with white ... and white gold is ok but yellow looks better.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

I guess I've never given it much thought, but have gravitated towards yellow gold all these years. I am not sure why though. I do wear a lot of true colors and think yellow gold looks better than white gold on those types of colors. When my daughter was getting a confirmation ring at James Avery, she was going to pick silver, but I talked her into a yellow gold ring. She still prefers yellow gold over white gold, so maybe it is something you pick up from your mother. My mom also wears yellow gold. I'm a brunette, as is my daughter, but my mom has black colored hair (she's Japanese). I say wear whatever colors make you happy because that's really the most important thing, isn't it?

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Octavia's Mom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amti View Post
    I say wear whatever colors make you happy because that's really the most important thing, isn't it?
    I completely agree!