Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Traveling Pearl Senior Guide Member jeg's Avatar

What a fun thread! I love the vintage examples you found.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

I am quite pleased everyone is enjoying the thread. Part of the inspiration for me in the image search, I've had several friends come to me with their "Family" pearls only to have to tell them they are faux pearls. The stories are interesting. In one case a great-grandmother sold her wedding pearls to send her daughter or grand daughter on a honeymoon and the pearls were later replaced with replicas and passed down. Only the story's discovered when the recipient endeavored to asked questions. Anyhow...

Most of the images I've come across are of European Aristocrats or Royalty (nothing wrong with that...but it gets redundant in the imagery)

Ruby Dee was a huge and pleasant surprise. I came across an article on High Society life in the UK, and one of the Aristocratic young ladies confessed in her coming out photos she was wearing long ropes of pearls which were faux pearls.

The more I dig the more interesting it becomes. Knowing that lots of the natural pearl ropes from old families had faux or cultured pearls added later on to increase the lengths or to replace damage and because 3-4mm Akoya pearls were so hard to come by faux pearls were added to get the flapper lengths. I confess I like finding the "Vintage" pics but also the pictures of the ladies as they've matured...true to form the pearls in some cases get bigger : ).

(let us consider this historical archiving of pearl fashion/style aka educational...because at this point attribution is quite difficult ). I hope you will add pics you've come across I think it could be a fun adventure.

PS: I hope no one minds the photos of obvious faux pearls...I think they count because they add to the importance pearls have played in fashion and history.
    Last edited by BlackPearlDudeDC; 11-14-2018 at 05:14 PM.
    No, Midge said, I take it back. I wouldnt get a mink coat the first thing. Know what Id do? Id get a string of pearls. Real pearls. Yes, Annabel said, slowly. I think thats a kind of a good idea. And it would make sense, too. Because you can wear pearls with anything.

Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone
    (Minus Tiaras and such...sorry bweaves)

Name:  Princess Alice.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  19.6 KB
    No, Midge said, I take it back. I wouldnt get a mink coat the first thing. Know what Id do? Id get a string of pearls. Real pearls. Yes, Annabel said, slowly. I think thats a kind of a good idea. And it would make sense, too. Because you can wear pearls with anything.

Photographs by James Van Der Zee

Name:  James Van Der Zee .jpg
Views: 134
Size:  97.3 KB

Society Ladies

Name:  A Society Lady.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  102.7 KB

(I love his work)

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member 86Corvettegirl's Avatar

Such a great thread! I'm loving these vintage looks from long ago.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I love 1920's flapper, long ropes of pearls, style.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Now Cloris Leachman has some spectacular pearls!

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

These photos are a treasure and delightful to see, thank you so much BPDDC! Remember reading that Chanel mixed her strands of natural, cultured and imitation pearls.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2thdktr View Post
    Now Cloris Leachman has some spectacular pearls!
    I completely agree...and growing up, people always commented that my mother resembled Cloris Leachman. She is about 10 years older than my mom was, but now looking at these photos, I see the resemblance. Thanks so much BPDDC, for starting this thread...it really has struck a chord on so many levels for me!
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    IGTV: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

I think if Coco gave the seal of approval on the mixing then it is good enough for me. Past life (one of many) I've done stylings for photo shoots using a mixture, I was always finding ways of sneaking pearls into such things. When I later told some friends or pearl purists (pearl snobs) about the work, they did some "clutching" at the idea of mixing. I rolled my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    These photos are a treasure and delightful to see, thank you so much BPDDC! Remember reading that Chanel mixed her strands of natural, cultured and imitation pearls.

This comment alone makes the hunting and sharing worthwhile, thank you for the appreciation! Actually thanks to everyone commenting positively really. I'm just happy this thread is supported with such enthusiasm, I love the pictures and hunting for images, though initially it was a personal mission, I couldn't not share some of the pics I loved most, especially the Harlem Renaissance pictures. All credit goes to the amazing photographers and the equally amazing subjects.

PS: one of my fav is the teddy bear picture it is so very similar to an old family photograph that was lost long ago to an attic clean out

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    I completely agree...and growing up, people always commented that my mother resembled Cloris Leachman. She is about 10 years older than my mom was, but now looking at these photos, I see the resemblance. Thanks so much BPDDC, for starting this thread...it really has struck a chord on so many levels for me!

I LOVE the teddy bear photo. But the flapper photo is another favorite.

You know how you would look at old family photos as a kid with your grandparents and some of those photos stayed stuck in your mind? I've always told my grandmother there were certain pictures I wanted if and when she decided to give up the albums. There is another bit of a family tradition, women in my family all took graduation photos (or other such accomplishment photos) with the same pearl necklace that was once worn in the photo with the teddy bear.

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I LOVE the teddy bear photo. But the flapper photo is another favorite.

That is soooooo cool.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Happy Huku's Avatar

So elegant and poised! Thank you for hunting and sharing with us.

PS
    I enjoy all your threads, BPDDC, thank you, I just don't always log in to comment on the many beautiful and interesting things shared across the forum.
    Happy Huku
    Queensland
    Australia