Default Need opinions please

Need help trying to identify these please. Idk much about them except my mother inherited several necklaces . MY grandmother also inherited one. Hate considering trying to sell them but I need my home
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Hi Bradleyhall,

Sorry but these all look like imitation pearls.

Thank you I just seen it worked, and um sorry I just seen what all you need to post and photo

It's okay, it's pretty obvious from the photos that they are imitation (fake) pearls. I'm afraid it is not worth selling them. They clearly have sentimental value to you so maybe that is not all bad....

Yea they do actually, I found a page with little test to do. Have you ever herd of scratching them.for dust? I think one was temperature test? Idk

The test I recommend is also called the tooth test. Rub a pearl gently against the edge of your front tooth, or rub two pearls together (a bit more sanitary.) Imitation pearls will feel smooth, while genuine pearl nacre feels a bit gritty.

There are other indications of imitation pearls.
    • Plastic pearls are very lightweight. Glass pearls will feel heavy, much like real pearls, but it's true that they will feel a bit warmer than genuine pearls. But you'd have to have a genuine strand to compare with.
    • Imitation pearls may have flaked off coating near the drill hole or anywhere they have received wear and tear, revealing the glass or plastic bead inside. The coating is paper thin.
    • The drill holes of imitation pearls tend to be a bit larger than those of genuine pearls.
    • Sometimes imitation pearls will have swirls of excess coating near the drill holes.
    • Real pearls will tend to have some variation in the overtone colors, while fake pearls will not show the overtones-- although better ones like Majorica may have the appearance of overtones, but they will all be alike.
    • If you look at a genuine pearl under a loupe (10x magnifier used by jewelers) the nacre will appear very smooth; fake pearls appear more coarse, like orange peel.
    • In an imitation strand all the pearls tend to look alike-- exactly the same size and shape. (But some fake strands are graduated in size to resemble graduated real strands.) Real pearls are not made by a machine, so in a real strand the pearls will not all be exactly the same size.

Also, the finding may indicate the likelihood of a strand being real or not. Genuine pearls are not usually fitted with base metal findings.

If you scratch your pearls you will take the coating off and spoil them; I don't recommend doing that.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 11-02-2018 at 08:06 AM.