Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CBPearllover View Post
    That's a good point, MSC. So if a loop is attached but not soldered, do you just remove the loop and attach your necklace directly to the clasp? So far I've preferred clasps which come with loops, but I haven't looked closely to see if they're just jump rings squeezed shut.
    No, I just make sure that the loops are soldered shut before I purchase. Usually all it takes is an email question to the vendor! PD makes a good point about the loops reducing the strain on the clasp. On some of my necklaces and bracelets I'll add a safety chain if I'm serious about wanting additional security (usually high value pieces); that may not work with your design, but could be an option for other future pieces. There's always more to make!
    Check out my photos here
    Instagram: @ajs.joyful.images

Thanks so much for all of your advice! I'm going to start making the necklace in the next few days, waiting on a few supplies to come in from Rio Grande to finish another project first. Did you all know there's a difference between a bead reamer and a pearl reamer? Of course you did, I'm such a newbie!

So all in all, it seems there are a few ways to do this necklace. But probably a better one. I think I'll either take out rougher edged stones and have less moonstone in the strand, or just string the pearls. I want to get some practice on putting necklaces on wire before I give them as gifts!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Hi CBP - I've been away for a month and just catching up. You are started where most of us did , beading wire. I recommend the soft flex clear 49 strand.. the bead bumpers are very inexpensive ..I think from Beadalon .. they can work quite well. If nothing else you can use one at each end of the necklace and that could stop an explosion of beads.

I often don't worry about the jump ring to much. On longer necklaces I have always wire wrapped a bead onto the clasp, so it's like a figure 8 with a small bead or pearl in the centre. This is a closed link then. On others where the design doesn't support that , I just use a heavy jump ring. When a long necklace is knotted you won't lose any pearls and the jump ring can be the 'break away' spot that keeps the necklace intact but you just have to attached a new ring.

I'm not surprised you bought your Rosebuds from Wendy at Pearlescence - she is one of the few sellers that almost always has them in stock.
    They are always beautiful !

[QUOTE=Katbran;210413]
    On longer necklaces I have always wire wrapped a bead onto the clasp, so it's like a figure 8 with a small bead or pearl in the centre. This is a closed link then. On others where the design doesn't support that , I just use a heavy jump ring. When a long necklace is knotted you won't lose any pearls and the jump ring can be the 'break away' spot that keeps the necklace intact but you just have to attached a new ring.

/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information! That's a cool idea: wire wrapping to extend the clasp. It's looking like stringing on beading wire and wire wrapping beads/pearls is next on the learning agenda this winter. I stocked up on supplies and learned how to string pearls from the guide on this forum. I feel a little behind though, as there are other terms/skills in jewelry making I still lack. I guess with each new challenge, I'll learn something! And yes, you are correct about Wendy's website. I'd spend all my money buying up her pearls if the husband would allow

I have one last question about this project if that's ok. I feel like as soon as I figure one aspect out, I encounter another problem. I have a feeling this is going to be happening frequently in the beginning.

So I bought a cute silver clasp for this necklace, on close-out from Rio. Unfortunately, when I started stringing the pearls this afternoon, I noticed the soldered jump rings attached to the clasp are SO SMALL! They're so tiny, I can't string my medium/1mm french wire through them to finish the clasp.

What to you think I should do? I guess I could try and cut these tiny rings off, as I'm sure I could fit the gimp through the holes in the actual clasp. But those rings are on for added support/strength right? I guess I could try and find a smaller french wire to fit through. What about attaching a thin, but larger diameter jump ring to the clasp? I don't have the ability to solder (holy balls, I just watched a YouTube video and no....I do not have that capability), so would it be a weak spot in the necklace? Thanks so much! If it were my necklace, I wouldn't be over-thinking it this much. But since I'm sending it across the state to my MIL, I just want to be sure.
    Name:  20181012_171643.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  44.4 KBName:  20181012_171618.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  36.4 KB

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I buy 0.8mm vermeil and sterling silver gimp from firemountaingems.com. That might fit.

Alternatively you could use a wire cutter to cut the soldered ring off the clasp, and replace it with an open jump ring.

You could also skip the gimp entirely and string the thread right onto the soldered ring. The gimp provides a nice professional-looking touch and protects the thread, but it is not absolutely necessary, particularly if you use a strong synthetic thread like Beader's Secret instead of silk. Also you will likely want to restring the necklace periodically anyway, every year or two at least. The thread will not have gotten very worn by then.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

I would leave the rings and use them. Try very gently squishing the end of the gimp so that it can pass through the ring. Alternatively, the gimp may compress enough once the thread is knotted to slip through the ring. I find that they help add a tad bit of length to help grasp the clasp when putting on/taking off.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    IGTV: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Another solution is to use a different clasp, and save that one for a future necklace strung on beading wire, which will pass through the little soldered ring easily.

First-graft Pearl

I had the same problem with a strand I just finished. Over time, I don't know how successful my fix will be, but I cut two little pieces of gimp and strung them gimp, ring, gimp and snugged them together. Hopefully, snugging them tightly together will protect the Beaders Secret as if it was one piece of gimp.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

If I could suggest that you buy the pack with the different size gimp, I'm sure you'd find it useful. I think it is from .6 to .9 . Each size is in about a 4 in length so it's enough to get you started and see what you need. Patty sells lots of gimp in various colours as well.

You just need to collect a few things that might come in handy. A selection of jump rings in different sizes (very inexpensive ) dont buy silver plate, buy sterling. Or Gold filled. Good round nose pliers, flat nose pliers, needle nose pliers. wire cutters etc. That's plenty to get you started. A few round silver beads in different sizes is a good thing to have on hand as well... maybe 4mm 5mm 6mm . They can be useful to add a bit of length if you need it or just to add some bling.

PD is right, the fastest thing might be to buy another clasp. But it's worth getting some of the items I mentioned.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I also bought different sizes of gimp from Fire Mountain Gems. The small size comes in handy every now and then. So do the larger sizes. Since a small packet lasts forever, I just bought gold and silver all in different sizes, and now I always have it on hand. I also bought gimp from Pattye, so I probably have a lifetime supply now.

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

If a necklace is heavy, and I have used wire and clamshell bead tips, I attach two jump rings side by side. Nothing will budge that and it looks more like a design element. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with all clasps.

It's nice to see that there are more options for crimps/covers!
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

Thank you all for your replies! I think you all are right, I need more sizes of french wire. I'll stock up this week, and see if I can get a smaller size to fit through the ring. I tried squishing the french wire, JerseyPearl, and it ALMOST fit through. If not, I know I'll probably need a different clasp for this necklace. I know I could take the ring off, but I think the clasp would really work great for a wire strung necklace.

That's a cool idea with the gimp, Parrot Lady! It took me a minute to picture in my head what you did, good thinking. I'm going to start stocking up on all those little supplies, Katbran. This seems like a hobby I won't be dropping anytime soon, so I need to get a respectable assortment of supplies. I'm off to shop Rio and FM, I'll post later if I ever get this finished!

Thanks everyone for all of the information, I finally got the necklace finished. The smallest gimp at Rio turned out to work. I also scrutinized the moonstone beads a little more, and took out ones with rough drill holes. The ones left in were fatter and more rounded, and were no problem to string. Next up is practicing finishing a necklace on wire, then learning how to wire wrap pearls!
    Name:  20181019_121117.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  62.4 KB
    Name:  20181019_121628.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  50.8 KB

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

That turned out beautiful. You wear it well!