Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

A pearl is not a diamond, and a diamond is not a pearl. However, when a gemstone is mistreated it can very easily be damaged. And that's true for a pearl as well as a diamond.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove™
    Instagram: OceansCove™
    IGTV: Ocean's Cove™ Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove™
    Pinterest: OceansCove™

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Happy Huku's Avatar

Fashion changes and the next generation might not be interested at all.

Take good care of your pearls but above all, Love, Wear and Enjoy!
    Happy Huku
    Queensland
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    A pearl is not a diamond, and a diamond is not a pearl. However, when a gemstone is mistreated it can very easily be damaged. And that's true for a pearl as well as a diamond.
    That's the thing. A diamond can be damaged as well but it's still a diamond. But a pearl that's damaged.. well.. I'm just worried cause the cultured South sea pearl that I want is a bit pricey. It has no flaws, 12.67 mm and has a good lustre and it's $2000.00 for one piece. I don't mind but if it's not going to last. I was thinking I can add more and get a diamond and it would last.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Huku View Post
    Fashion changes and the next generation might not be interested at all.

Take good care of your pearls but above all, Love, Wear and Enjoy!
    Quite true but I want it something that my next generation can see even if they don't wear it.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

If you want a pearl, get a pendant. It's more likely to last than a ring, especially if you plan to wear it every day.

Is it the pearl that you want to last or the ring?

I inherited my mother's diamond engagement ring and immediately took the diamonds out and had them set in a different setting. There was no way to size up my mother's tiny finger size to my big knuckles, and her ring style did not suit my style. And I'm one who appreciates my mother's taste.

I'll repeat, buy what you like. Wear the heck out of it. Don't worry about passing it down unless someone particularly says they'd love to inherit it.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pcaspian View Post
    That's the thing. A diamond can be damaged as well but it's still a diamond. But a pearl that's damaged.. well.. I'm just worried cause the cultured South sea pearl that I want is a bit pricey. It has no flaws, 12.67 mm and has a good lustre and it's $2000.00 for one piece. I don't mind but if it's not going to last. I was thinking I can add more and get a diamond and it would last.
    Actually, a diamond that has been damaged (chipped, scratched or cracked) must be recut or repolished to restore, however, the value may be compromised by the repair. Also, a flawless or even highly graded $2000 diamond would be quite small. Clearly diamonds and pearls are apples and oranges in terms of their values. But my point was that any gemstone, pearl, diamond, sapphire, emerald....can be damaged. So my recommendation is that if you love the pearl (and who doesn't love a large perfect pearl!) wear it as you wish and enjoy it!
    Etsy shop: OceansCove™
    Instagram: OceansCove™
    IGTV: Ocean's Cove™ Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove™
    Pinterest: OceansCove™

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pcaspian View Post
    ... it's $2000.00 for one piece.
    Does that include the setting? If so, the value of the metal is a large part of the cost of the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Is it the pearl that you want to last or the ring?...
    This is key. If the ring is the main thing, you could just replace the pearl if needed, as GemGeek did with her ring after the pearl was damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    Actually, a diamond that has been damaged (chipped, scratched or cracked) must be recut or repolished to restore, however, the value may be compromised by the repair. Also, a flawless or even highly graded $2000 diamond would be quite small. Clearly diamonds and pearls are apples and oranges in terms of their values. But my point was that any gemstone, pearl, diamond, sapphire, emerald....can be damaged. So my recommendation is that if you love the pearl (and who doesn't love a large perfect pearl!) wear it as you wish and enjoy it!
    The $2000.00 that I'm talking about is the pearl not the diamond. I highly doubt you anyone could buy a diamond with a high quality for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Does that include the setting? If so, the value of the metal is a large part of the cost of the ring.

This is key. If the ring is the main thing, you could just replace the pearl if needed, as GemGeek did with her ring after the pearl was damaged.
    No. It doesn't include the ring yet. It's just the pearl for $2000.00 it's a light champagne colour. But no fish marks and wig a very good lustre and orient.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I'd get it set in a pendant-- with a large enough bail that you could wear it on a long chain, long enough that you could look down and see it while wearing it.

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

If you are looking for the best value, you can find something better than a light champagne South Sea pearl for $2000. Light champagne is not a terribly valuable color. White, medium gold and dark gold are all worth substantially more. You should be able to get two very fine pearls in that size for price range - not champagne either, but white or gold.

https://www.pearlsofjoy.com/White-So...0mm_p_125.html

https://www.pearlsofjoy.com/Golden-S...0mm_p_131.html

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

Absolutely, get another color! I didn't realize how much I loved the dark goldens until I got one! They are like liquid gold and so beautiful!