Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Tahitians

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Lovely collection PaulaPaints. Tahitians are my favorite too.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Ive always thought the Galatea pearls with the turquoise colored centers were beautiful. I like that yours is simple and elegant. You have a beautifully curated collection.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

To be fair, those test go back to 9 years ago. They are listed now . as you pointed out, as RC Turquoise and I don't know that they have been tested since 2009 have they ? Weren't they listed as Turquoise before when tested ? If they are, now, RCTurquoise then he's fine.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Rio Grande sells them as "simulated turquoise".
    https://www.riogrande.com/product/ga...urquoise/73928

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    To be fair, those test go back to 9 years ago. They are listed now . as you pointed out, as RC Turquoise and I don't know that they have been tested since 2009 have they ? Weren't they listed as Turquoise before when tested ? If they are, now, RCTurquoise then he's fine.
    They were never described as imitation or simulated until the SSEF complained to a CPAA member about a year and a half ago. It appeared, nobody selling them in the US knew they were imitation. RC Turquoise is a made-up term, implying they are reconstituted turquoise and yes, a sample from RIO Grande was tested last year and found to be dyed barium sulfate, which is why RIO changed the description on their website from turquoise to simulated. They are not gems, they are not reconstituted, they are not synthetics, they are imitations.

I was told two different stories about why this was the case. The first is that turquoise and other gemstones are too porous, so it was never possible to grow a pearl sac and a pearl around them. The second was that elements in turquoise poison pearl oysters. Either way, legally this should have been disclosed.

That report was from 2009. There was another lab test last year. Yet they are clearly described as GEMS in this video in 2014.
    https://youtu.be/Y5tcKRFzM60?t=16s

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

I thought we had long forgotten about this fraudulent guy. I had a turquoise pearl from him where the nacra broke off.

Well there you go... fake Turquoise. I didn't realise there had been another test done recently .. that changes everything.. used to be fake..still is fake. Why wouldn't you just own up to what it is ...

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lilliefuzzysocks's Avatar

There could be several reasons. His patent may say they are using gemstones and after finding out gems can't be used ........ Or he figured he'd never get caught and went with what it looked like. You saw him in the video state they were Turquoise, that was not a mistatement on his part.

There was an article published a few years ago by Laurent Cartier of SSEF that detailed how it could work. If I recall correctly, a plastic or some other material nucleus is inserted first and a pearl is harvested after just six months or so. Then a gemstone can be inserted into the existing pearl sac and nacre will form around it.

I would think this is a lot more expensive and labor intensive, which may be why they've opted to use imitations. But since the imitation issue became known in industry circles, I've seen them promoting a batch of turquoise and amber nucleated pearls and specifically pointing out that they are real.

The FTC makes it pretty clear that this is backwards. Sellers are required to point out when gems are imitations. These imitation turquoise nucleated pearls have been on the market for more than a decade and I have never seen them described as imitations until just recently. I think there are thousands of them in consumers' hands who have no idea they are imitations.

This is the article I was referencing. It's from 2013. So if it's correct, they've known how to use real stones for a long time, and the conclusion of the article states that samples were tested. If that is also correct, it means they were successful a long time ago.

That would lead me to believe using imitations and not disclosing it was an intentional choice.

https://www.ssef.ch/wp-content/uploa...stone-IGC-.pdf

Here is an article describing them when they debuted in 2007.

https://www.jckonline.com/magazine-a...e-bead-nuclei/
    Last edited by jshepherd; 09-06-2018 at 04:47 PM.

First-graft Pearl

Turquoise fraud is rampant -- even museums have been fooled, as well as high end retailers and manufacturers.
    And then a lot of jewelers will use fake/reconstituted/block turquoise for consistency of color across their product line. I won't mention names.

I consider "turquoise" subject to the same abuse as Tahitian. "Tahitian black" is used a lot on eBay to describe a color, not an actual pearl. So, when someone says it's turquoise, they could just mean the color.

I've always thought that when the name is capitalised Ruby Emerald Turquoise Onyx etc .. that it referred to the stone/gem.. that if it's written ruby emerald turquoise onyx then it refers to the colour.