Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 54 of 54
  1. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    I'm happy to discuss 'wish lists' with regular customers and that will always include price. If they can afford $1k and I am on a sourcing trip looking at pearls specifically for them which start at $3k wholesale neither of us are going to be happy and a lot of time will be wasted.
    That makes sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by suchi View Post
    How about getting a really nice Tahitian bracelet and then start saving up for a tahitian necklace? You get to see and appreciate your tahitians in a bracelet. Kojima pearls currently has 18percent off and has some very pretty tahitian bracelets within your price range.
    Thank you for that info! I'm not sure about a bracelet....I thought maybe eventually but I am more interested in neckwear and earrings. But eventually I want ALL the things lol. To be honest though, for Tahitian, a bracelet might be the way to start, the more I think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    I say save up for the good stuff. You'll never regret the money you've spent. If you buy inexpensively then it can be money wasted...not all the time...but overall you don't regret buying well.

    There are lots of pretty pearls out there for just around your budget... what colour did you want that you can't find in baroque?
    This is true. I would much rather have quality over quantity.

  2. #47
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Helen In Texas
    Posts
    1,514

    Default

    I understand your concerns because we've all started out in a similar situation. What to buy, where to shop, how much to spend, etc... One thing I do is ask how much something is. If it is out of my price range, I'll ask if they have something a little bit cheaper. If it is less than I can spend and I want something better, I'll ask if they have something a bit nicer. The retailer wants to make the sale and for you to be happy. I don't tell them how much I have to spend unless I trust them or their prices are in print.

    Like you, I was overwhelmed when I buying my first Tahitian strand. Prices were pretty high buying an already made strand so I contacted a wholesaler (who doesn't sell anymore to individuals, sadly). I told him what I wanted and how much I wanted to spend. His prices were online and so it was easy to rearrange what I wanted, the sizes, and the number of pearls. It did take time and cooperation with the seller. I strung my pearls myself (first time doing this) and love my strand. I've replaced a few of the pearls in the strand over the years, but I have not really wanted another main T strand because I love mine so much. So I highly recommend getting a strand that you love. If not, you'll be spending more money on getting another strand in the future. And for the record, I have bought other T strands, just nothing to replace my main T strand. The others are different types of T strands (circles, tin cups, etc..).

  3. #48
    First-graft Pearl Senior Member Narcissa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    beautiful rainy oregon coast, usa
    Posts
    198

    Default

    MoonSprinkles, there will always be pearl-lovers who have more, or less, budget. Please don't let that matter. So much is preference anyway: for instance while I appreciate and admire the rarity and matchedness of perfect rounds, I really prefer ovals and baroques. I like the way they feel, I like the way they seem to have movement to my eye and hand. And though I have added some fine pearls to my small collection over time (small by P-G standards, large by the standards of everyone else I know) I still depend on a strand of inexpensive oval multi-colored FW color-change metallics given to me by a dear friend. Though it is almost true that whatever pearls I am looking at in the moment are my favorite, FW metallics can always be depended upon to flutter my magpie heart.

    So - Like what you like, save for what you really want, keep on looking and learning, and above all, Enjoy.

    Elizabeth

    Elizabeth
    Narcissa

  4. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amti View Post
    I understand your concerns because we've all started out in a similar situation. What to buy, where to shop, how much to spend, etc... One thing I do is ask how much something is. If it is out of my price range, I'll ask if they have something a little bit cheaper. If it is less than I can spend and I want something better, I'll ask if they have something a bit nicer. The retailer wants to make the sale and for you to be happy. I don't tell them how much I have to spend unless I trust them or their prices are in print.

    Like you, I was overwhelmed when I buying my first Tahitian strand. Prices were pretty high buying an already made strand so I contacted a wholesaler (who doesn't sell anymore to individuals, sadly). I told him what I wanted and how much I wanted to spend. His prices were online and so it was easy to rearrange what I wanted, the sizes, and the number of pearls. It did take time and cooperation with the seller. I strung my pearls myself (first time doing this) and love my strand. I've replaced a few of the pearls in the strand over the years, but I have not really wanted another main T strand because I love mine so much. So I highly recommend getting a strand that you love. If not, you'll be spending more money on getting another strand in the future. And for the record, I have bought other T strands, just nothing to replace my main T strand. The others are different types of T strands (circles, tin cups, etc..).
    I am glad I'm not the first overwhelmed person, lol! Thanks for the encouragement, I just restrung an older necklace I had and I really do like stringing so loose beads might be an option for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Narcissa View Post
    MoonSprinkles, there will always be pearl-lovers who have more, or less, budget. Please don't let that matter. So much is preference anyway: for instance while I appreciate and admire the rarity and matchedness of perfect rounds, I really prefer ovals and baroques. I like the way they feel, I like the way they seem to have movement to my eye and hand. And though I have added some fine pearls to my small collection over time (small by P-G standards, large by the standards of everyone else I know) I still depend on a strand of inexpensive oval multi-colored FW color-change metallics given to me by a dear friend. Though it is almost true that whatever pearls I am looking at in the moment are my favorite, FW metallics can always be depended upon to flutter my magpie heart.

    So - Like what you like, save for what you really want, keep on looking and learning, and above all, Enjoy.

    Elizabeth

    Elizabeth
    Thanks for that, I think I needed to hear it. It's hard not to compare sometimes. I honestly also prefer Baroque and drop shapes. They have pretty color and character, and suit my overall style a bit more. My current favorite stand is a very very inexpensive strand I got from Catherine Cardellini, they are big and dyed but I love the way they look and feel!

  5. #50
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSprinkles View Post
    ... I love the way they look and feel!
    If one can get that feeling at a lower price point, that is very fortunate, because it leaves more money for other things one needs or wants.

  6. #51

    Default

    PearlDreams, That is a much better way of looking at it! I always assumed it meant that I have uneducated taste and didn't know what I was missing lol.

  7. #52
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,850

    Default

    Hey, I still use the flip phone I bought 10 years ago.

  8. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Hey, I still use the flip phone I bought 10 years ago.
    I JUST got a non-flip phone with texting for the first time this year. I am so far behind others of my age group! (But ahead with jewelry interests lol)

  9. #54
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    With technology you will always have to eventually upgrade. With a strand of pearls you love, those are timeless

Similar Threads

  1. Dyed Black Freshwater?
    By MoonSprinkles in forum What Kind of Pearls do I have?
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-27-2018, 12:41 AM
  2. Looking to upgrade my 6mm Akoyas to 8mm freshwater
    By Allein in forum Consumer Q & A
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2012, 04:30 PM
  3. Black & White Freshwater Necklaces
    By Kevin Canning in forum Freshwater Pearls
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 01:30 AM
  4. Big Black Chinese Freshwater Pearl vs. Black Tahitian Pearls
    By butterfly in forum Tahitian Pearls
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-14-2007, 06:09 PM
  5. The Secret to Black Freshwater Pearls
    By purepearls in forum Freshwater Pearls
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-19-2006, 06:54 PM