Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default tahitian pearl treatment

Hi,

Does anyone know which types of treatments are currently being used on Tahitian pearls?

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Tahitian pearls are not treated, as a whole.

The exceptions are chocolate pearls, which are color treated, and some pistachio pearls that were identified as color treated by the GIA-- see this article:

https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/sp...ZNejNJRlZ3PSJ9

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

PD, interesting about the pistachio pearls, perhaps they are still considered less valuable than the desirable peacock, but certainly have come into their own in popularity. A relief to know GIA does thorough a investigation on these treatments.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

I loved that the GIA used "Hair Bleach" Powder during their experiments.

The first necklace in the pic looks too matchy...not to say years of collection naturally colored pearls wouldn't produce the near same results.

Thanks PD for sharing the link. I remember this article it was good to read it again.

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

I wouldn't say Tahitian pearls aren't treated. For the most part they aren't, except as mentioned above. But there are companies in China that coat, heat and color Tahitians that might otherwise be considered unsaleable. There is one company called Shanghai Pearl that exhibits at most of the shows in Hong Kong and they typically have baskets and baskets strands that are treated junk.

Jeremy Shepherd
    President and Founder
    PearlParadise.com, Inc.

The PearlParadise.com YouTube Channel
    PearlParadise.com on Flickr
    PearlParadise.com on Facebook
    Some of My Favorite Pearly Finds on Instagram

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jshepherd View Post
    I wouldn't say Tahitian pearls aren't treated. For the most part they aren't, except as mentioned above. But there are companies in China that coat, heat and color Tahitians that might otherwise be considered unsaleable. There is one company called Shanghai Pearl that exhibits at most of the shows in Hong Kong and they typically have baskets and baskets strands that are treated junk.
    Is this the same Shanghai Pearl that sells natural pearls or are those two different companies?
    Check out my photos here
    Instagram: @ajs.joyful.images

No, this company (based in Hong Kong) does not sell natural pearls.

Quote Originally Posted by jshepherd View Post
    ... there are companies in China that coat, heat and color Tahitians that might otherwise be considered unsaleable. There is one company called Shanghai Pearl that exhibits at most of the shows in Hong Kong and they typically have baskets and baskets strands that are treated junk.
    Well, that is dismaying! I wonder where those pearls end up being sold? And if there is any way a buyer can recognize them for what they are?

Also, Jeremy, I have a question. A pearl-loving friend bought some Tahitians that she says smell bad...manure-like. But these aren't gas pearls or souffles-- she emailed me photos and they just looked like regular baroque Tahitians. What could make Tahitians smell that way, and what should she do to fix the problem, short of returning them? Are there treatments that could have made them smell bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Well, that is dismaying! I wonder where those pearls end up being sold? And if there is any way a buyer can recognize them for what they are?

Also, Jeremy, I have a question. A pearl-loving friend bought some Tahitians that she says smell bad...manure-like. But these aren't gas pearls or souffles-- she emailed me photos and they just looked like regular baroque Tahitians. What could make Tahitians smell that way, and what should she do to fix the problem, short of returning them? Are there treatments that could have made them smell bad?
    A lot of times they appear to have micro-cracks all over them. I've seen coated ones too that you can prick with a needle.

The smell you're describing happens with circled pearls sometimes. It's terrible when you get an entire lot drilled and one of those pearls is in the mix and the factory doesn't remove it. You'll know as soon as you open the box. It's similar to a gas pearl and the same concept, but not typically filled with gaseous liquid to the same extent.

How should I advise my friend? Return the pearls? Clean them-- with what?

They were drilled and strung! I wonder how the (normally reliable) vendor missed the smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    How should I advise my friend? Return the pearls? Clean them-- with what?

They were drilled and strung! I wonder how the (normally reliable) vendor missed the smell.
    They can be washed or left out in fresh air. The smell will eventually go away. But they should definitely come off the string. They should not have been knotted with that smell present.

Thanks Jeremy. I will tell her.

I hear there has been a large increase in the price of Tahitians recently, is this correct?
    Was this down to a poor harvest, pollution problems, or some other reason and is it affecting all sizes?

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Stringing material just soaks up "that nasty smell" from small bits of organic matter left in the blank spaces of some baroque pearls that becomes um... liberated with drilling. Sometimes it is really hard to tell which pearl on a strand is the stinker. They need to be separated, washed, thoroughly dried, then sniffed.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

true, the price of Tahiti pearls under 10 mm has gone up a lot in auctions due to higher demand from China. Golden smaller South Sea have gone down due to a higher production.

The smell should be treated by the pearl wholesaler, I have seen here in Bangkok a process to preserve the pearls because the smelling substance can change the colour of the pearls near the drilling holes.