Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I share a groan with you. I once stretched a piece of gimp and it was a royal pain to get off. I ended up having to clip it bit by bit with wire cutters and pull the snipped bits off the thread with tweezers.

I am now very careful to push it down the length of thread from behind, thus compressing it rather than stretching it.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

After all your acrobatics, I really hope your strand turns out fine! And when you get the BS (which I hope you've ordered a few colors because that's fun in itself!), you may just decide to knot a few more strands. You'll be able to enjoy your music more too because you won't have that constant, "DON'T MESS UP!!!" fear!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Oh dear .. that can happen with the gimp. It can snag on a bit of the thread and if you are pulling is down...slinky mania. I'm glad you have given up and are leaping onto the Beaders Secret train, your entire life will get easier... everything.. prices will drop at the gas station.. the butcher will give you free steaks... you'll find oil when you dig a hole to plant a rose bush... EVERYTHING gets better with BS. ( well that might be BS ... but knotting gets easier with Beaders Secret )

I would toss that knotting tool... you can get a pointy metal awl and use that..far less cumbersome and your knots will be better. Or knot without tools... really it all turns out the same.

Good luck !

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

danachit, I can relate on the gimp slinky. Now I trim both ends carefully with a fine pair of manicure scissors to remove any pokies then do a pinch push motion while moving it down the thread into place. And yes, Beader's Secret from dear pattye will transform your knotting life!
    Welcome back!!!

I have noticed that if I haven't cut the gimp with a very sharp tool it is more likely to snag on something. Last time I used a wirecutter, it didn't snag ones and I knotted 3 necklaces that day. Also I am being very careful when I put the gimp on the tread especially when the necklace is almost done since the silktread sometimes is a bit frayed around the needle. Yes I still use silktread, haven't got my hands on beaders secret yet since I live in Sweden. I know Pearlescence sell some, but she didn't have that many colors. Please Pearlescence get some more colors... The shipping to sweden via etsy is more pricey, best to make a bigger order (and then my favorite paying custum of 25% and a fee of 75 sek (about 8$) just because they have had to make you pay custom). Anyway, I am sure your necklace will turn out stunning Danachit.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member danachit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    Oh dear .. that can happen with the gimp. It can snag on a bit of the thread and if you are pulling is down...slinky mania. I'm glad you have given up and are leaping onto the Beaders Secret train, your entire life will get easier... everything.. prices will drop at the gas station.. the butcher will give you free steaks... you'll find oil when you dig a hole to plant a rose bush... EVERYTHING gets better with BS. ( well that might be BS ... but knotting gets easier with Beaders Secret )

I would toss that knotting tool... you can get a pointy metal awl and use that..far less cumbersome and your knots will be better. Or knot without tools... really it all turns out the same.

Good luck !
    Hahaha, this made my day!

YES! I believe you! I have obviously been VERY late to the game and am the only person in the WORLD not using this wonderful thread! I can't wait for it to come and that will give me time to find and order a new clasp since I need one with a safety latch. I went ahead and finished my pearls and they are laying beautifully and nested just right, but....I forgot I had been using a sterling silver non-safety latch clasp and that is a no-no with such fine pearls.

So...off to find a new clasp! I'm looking at PP and also Bella. If anyone has any other suggested vendors I'm all ears!
    Ginger Rogers did the exact same thing as Fred Astaire, only she did it backwards and in heels!

Rio Grande has nice clasps, many of which are closeouts.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Glad I brightened your day !!

As PD stated above - Rio Grande has an excellent selection of clasps.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Just an FYI, gimp also comes in different diameter sizes. You will have an easier time if you can match the gimp to the thread size.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    IGTV: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

So true about the gimp size. Firemountaingems carries gimp in different sizes, colors, and metal. I use .8mm mostly but have also been told that 1mm is better for toggles and S-type clasps as it is a bit sturdier.