Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I agree about Beaders Secret - easy to knot and lots of colours. I'll use silk if someone really wants it for a smaller sized pearl strand but definitely the larger the pearls the better it is to use BS .

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lilliefuzzysocks's Avatar

I love it too. It comes in several thicknesses and numerous colors. The knots don't get fuzzy like silk and doesn't stretch

Name:  bs.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  114.8 KB

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

WOW, Danachit, welcome back! So many interesting careers and wonderful that you can now help your parents. It's amazing what one thinks of when awake in the middle of the night, lol! When that happens to me, usually I find myself mentally "playing" with pearl/gemstone combos!

Please show us a photo of the double strand! How large are your pearls? We see few double strands compared to singles.

A purist too, luxurious silk was absolutely my choice when I started stringing! (I've a background in fabric, fibers and yarn.) Silk offered the range of colors I wanted, but without the consistent performance of Beader's Secret.

Lisa C, welcome back to the forum!

More comments in a separate post
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Default Beader's Secret Thread vs Stringth

Beader's Secret for the win!!!
    BWeaves, I'm doing the happy dance, too! I can't imagine you swearing over your pearls, lol!

PD, thank you so much for showing this comparison between the threads. It's definitely clear BS has the better drape in # 3; I've considered buying Stringth to try out, but now I won't have to! Sounds like #1 is actually a better size for most pearls. As biased as I am toward Beader's Secret, it's always good to be curious about other products.

Many many thanks to ALL Beader's Secret fans for your ongoing feedback and photos ~ including Pearl Dreams, BWeaves, Pearlescence, Jersey Pearl, Katbran, Lilliefuzzysocks ~ plus many other fans who've posted all across this forum.

Within the famous PP vault is the pearl stringing desk. Did anyone check it out besides me?
    Pattye

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Oh yes. I've watched the PP pearl stringers in awe.

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Welcome back! I still have a full shoe box of Griffin silk cards and I feel like I have to use them first, LOL! Even though I hardly ever knot anything. Danachit and LisaC - good to see you posting here.
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member danachit's Avatar

It's soooo good to see so many of you! Woo Hoo!! So this is what I've done. I went to my local Michael's and picked up some fresh G-S hypo cement glue. Love that teeny tiny pin drop point. Oh my goodness.....just being around all those tools brought back so many memories! I strung gemstone and pearls for over ten years and then I moved onto Financial Counseling and now work with the dept of defense to teach what I love which is financial literacy.

But goodness, do I ever miss having that creative outlet! And...I still have all of my pearls! I still have big 9mm round akoya for earrings on cards I bought from my sweet dear passed-on Mr. Chen. What on earth will I do with all my pearls! Strand after strand of black and white pearls and piles upon piles of loose pearls. Ugh....it haunts me at night.

Okay...so back to this necklace. Because all of my glue was way too old, nothing worked when I back-knotted through the last 3 pearls. I also realized I didn't have enough properly reamed out end pearls. I got new glue, cut up the one strand I had strung on Stringth and started over....on stretched, waxed silk.

Yall.

I just can't bring myself to put these expensive pearls on anything else! I know, I know....beaders secret for the WIN, but I don't have any beaders secret.

And I'm just **** obsessive (hahaha....the forum software deleted out the word before obsessive but I promise you I did not cuss. I used a word that started with a and ended with nal...go figure) to not be able to wait for B.S. to be shipped from a supplier. I want this necklace done yesterday or at least two minutes ago, so I had to go with what I had. I stretched and waxed up some #D Gudebrod white silk and off I went.

Wait. I had to ream out 12 pearls and that part is all messy and yet the most important part. So once that was done, I began knotting with my awl tool

So far so good. Because I am nearing the end part...those last 3 pearls and I'm about to back knot and place a wee drop of glue....THIS IS WHERE THE MISTAKE HAPPENED LAST TIME.

I'm re-watching a couple of videos. Leaning in close to make sure...MAKE SURE PEOPLE...that I'm doing it right.

Then on to make the second strand.

Big Breath!! I'm going in!!!
    Ginger Rogers did the exact same thing as Fred Astaire, only she did it backwards and in heels!

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Post photos when they're done!!!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Well done !! Go for it ! Definitely want to see photos !!

We're cheering you on, Danachit!!! Excited for the photos!
    Pattye

Hahahahaha, oh my GOSH...yall....I was sitting here enjoying my new Amazon alexa thing that I got so I can have video chats with my parents "Hey Mama! Mama why is your hair pink? You need to tell the hairdresser to brown it up next time. Daddy what was your blood sugar? Is that powdered sugar on your chin?"

Anyway, I had just called out, "Alexa! Play Percy Faith Strings Bouquet album" and ahhhhh....there it was. Percy Faith and his string orchestra playing Autumn Leaves, Fascination.... I went back...it was 1964, I was wearing cotton footie pajamas and mama & daddy had just tucked me into bed. They put this album on the huge stereo piece of furniture and I was dreaming of drive in movies watching Flipper and Tammy and waiting to watch Lamb Chop on the black and white tv in the morning.

And then it happened..

I made two knots. Two. Knots.

I think it was somewhere between the station wagon and the drive-in movie memories.

Hmmm...what to do...what TO DO. I know!! I had a couple of extra reamed out pearls so I grabbed one with a bigger hole and shoved that baby down right over the extra knot. It fit! I knotted it tight into place and no one will know. NO ONE WILL KNOW PEOPLE!

Okay...back to knotting. Here is what I have so far. I'm about halfway done with the last of the two strands.
    (I'm laying the pearls on top of that Bon Appetit tart because seriously, who doesn't want to eat that??)

Name:  IMG_9479-2.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  127.8 KB
    Ginger Rogers did the exact same thing as Fred Astaire, only she did it backwards and in heels!

Great save, using that pearl with the larger drill hole!

I have done, that but with Beader's Secret you can undo the knot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Great save, using that pearl with the larger drill hole!

I have done, that but with Beader's Secret you can undo the knot.
    Hahaha, OF COURSE you can undo the knot! Okay, Okay...I give up! I placed an order yesterday on etsy from our esteemed seller and will do the next one on Beaders secret!

You won't be sorry!

Okay.

Big Sigh *and maybe a choice cuss word...or two...or three*

Twice now, TWICE...I have had the french boullion somehow stretch out over about a inch area and then not come off. What the hay!?

I got down to the very last back knot...the end was in sight!...and that dagnabbit french slinky did it again! And then I couldn't get it off. I had to do all sorts of acrobats to work around it and get another one on. But it's done and the last tiny drop of glue is drying. But...I may have to cut it all up and do it again in the event of unevenness of the two strands. We'll see.

If I do...I'll be doing it another day.