Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Latest finished statement piece

Name:  IMG_3830.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  102.5 KB

Did this for a friend of mine. Three Tahitian pearls - the bottom dangle from Wen and the two on either side of the large moonstone from KahaiaTahiti on Etsy - as well as labradorite, carved mother-of-pearl and bone, hematite and black spinel on argentium silver. She needed a statement piece for a role she's starting soon

I'm super happy with how it turned out. I owe the ladies here a HUGE amount of thanks for recommending the .5mm round-nose pliers that made for amazing wire wrapping for smaller beads!

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

A fabulous piece!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Wowza! That looks amazing. I'm in awe of the tiny wire wrapping.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert la_corsetiere's Avatar

Ooh, I love that, jesskat!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Well done Jesskat !! Looks great !!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

Very cool piece! I love the variety of different gems used. What gauge wire did you use? And did you use wire to connect the labradolite? I have some spinel from about three years ago that I'm trying to decide whether to use wire or thread.

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Wow. That is delicate and magnificent at the same time.
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

very nice, jesskat!

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Love how you've repeated the crescent shapes, the subtle color of the labradorite and excellent wire wrapping! Can you estimate how many hours you invested? It's like 5 whole necklaces in one!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Beautifully done, jesskat! I'm not sure I have the patience to try something like that right now - I applaud you!
    You can never be too dressed-up.

Quote Originally Posted by amti View Post
    Very cool piece! I love the variety of different gems used. What gauge wire did you use? And did you use wire to connect the labradolite? I have some spinel from about three years ago that I'm trying to decide whether to use wire or thread.
    I actually did a bit of a trick for the labradorite strands. I used 49-strand Beadalon .13" beading wire for those, and then hid the loops at the end with silver beads that I could tuck the wire into, and used jump rings to connect it to the chain at either end. Mad it WAY easier than doing wire for them!

The wire I used for wrapping was 22g for the pearls and larger gems, and 24g for the 2mm beads. The Lindstrom .5mm round-nose pliers that were recommended in another thread (I gotta find it) are to die for - they make the best little wire wraps! Will never use anything else for that from now on.

Thank you so much, PD, BWeaves, la_corsetiere, pattye, GemGeek, Sunseeker, and lary007! It really means a lot to me to have the feedback from seasoned makers here <3 I'm still feeling my way around some of this, but the friend I made it for absolutely adores it, and that's the most important thing!

pattye, I think I spent maybe ~8-10 hours all told on it once I had all the materials? I did it in fits and starts over 3 days so I wasn't keeping too much track, but it definitely was somewhat involved. I haven't done such tiny wire wrap before, so it had a scoch of a learning curve, but I picked it up fairly quickly and those pliers are a Godsend. I originally just had the 3 main chains with the statement pendants, but it felt like something was missing, and the labradorite did the trick - it helped visually separate all the bright whites/silvers by giving the eye a softer rest in between. I wish that I'd shot the necklace on something other than black - the pearls have such a magnificent green overtone that just glows in certain lights. It goes super well with the dress my friend has for her role, too - she sent me a pic of her first night wearing it the other day, and I'm so excited about how well it fits!

I really enjoy doing this, and I'm super happy to be able to have the wonderful forum members here as a resource. I've already learned a ton!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert battah's Avatar

How did I miss this? This is so, so gorgeous! Beautiful work, jesskat!
    Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

Thanks so much, battah! I really loved working on it. I've got a Tahitian/aquamarine tin cup on deck, looking forward to using what I've learned with this one to make that one

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Jesscat,

Thanks so much for explaining your design process! I have only done 2 or 3 multi strand necklaces and bracelets in all these years of stringing, none with that many strands. I'm thinking of doing a torsade of 12+ strands, however, a different animal entirely, probably much easier! Every week I learn more here on the "Lowly Beaders Club". Although I already use and love the Lindstrom RX tools, I ordered the 0.50 mm round nose pliers. They are just a bit smaller than the others I have, many thanks (whoever you are) for that suggestion!!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----