Default Is this a pearl?

Hello everyone,

Today I was walking on the beach and found this amazing oyster.
    Now I seen this ‘thing’ on inside and I didnt know what it was. I then heared someone say it is a blister pearl.

To be sure I thought I would ask a few expert who might help me out what it is. So does anyone have a clue??

Found it near ‘Utah beach’ in Normandy, France.

Name:  IMG_8025.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  54.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_8026.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  54.4 KBName:  IMG_8027.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  55.2 KBName:  IMG_8028.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  57.9 KBName:  IMG_8029.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  57.2 KB

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Is that white matter around the growth soft or hard? Did you find the shell open like that, with no living oyster inside?

I'm just trying to understand what I'm seeing.

The white matter is hard. I found it with the oyster inside it but it was already loose for 3/4 from it’s shell. When I put it in the water to wash a bit of sand of the oyster washed out of it.

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

That is a blister pearl!

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

We have often blisters in our oysters, in France, even small pearls (very small...). This one is unusual because it's the flat part of the oyster shell which has produced it, more often it's in the hollow part we find that.

Ok so it is a blister pearl? Cool. Never thought I would find a pearl at all in my life haha. Question is, is it just a nice souvenir to put in the living room where the kids also play or is it worth more to put it someone safely. I have no idea if a blister pearl is worth anything it all. This one is even black. I like the color but that probably would devalue it anyway or not. 🤔🤭

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I would think it's a conversation piece to put up on display.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Definitely a conversation piece ... very cool that you found it !!

PearlJ, About the colour, no dreams to have... Most of the time these blisters are made of very thin nacre and full of mud. Anyway, french oysters' nacre is dull.

Ah so the color doesnt mean a thing here. Still looks cool though even if it may be filled with mud. Will put it on a nice display surround with other pieces like a very big scallopsshell I found. The one Shell uses as logo 😜

PearlJ, you are right, that's a nice collector's item! A long time ago, we still had beautiful pearls, in France, but found in freshwater mussels. Unfortunatly, these shells needed pure water which has disappeared, and mussels with.

That’s a shame. Especially seeing how the French are taking care of their beaches and how the people like to ‘Peche a Pied’ (what I understood Haha).

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

What an interesting blister pearl. Thank you for the great photos and story.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Quote Originally Posted by PearlJ View Post
    That’s a shame. Especially seeing how the French are taking care of their beaches and how the people like to ‘Peche a Pied’ (what I understood Haha).
    PearlJ, you know 'pêche à pied' It's a very pleasant practice! Well, we really have taken care of our environment for about forty years, but several damages made before are irreversible, and worse, species disappearance at this time leads many other disappearances today... Maybe it's too late for much more things we are imagining.

First-graft Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    What an interesting blister pearl. Thank you for the great photos and story.
    While it could be a "blister pearl" it is perhaps more likely a "blister". As I am sure most here know there is a difference and images aren't really the best way to separate them. Not sure how the value on such a piece would be affected if it were a blister rather than a blister pearl, probably not too great?