Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert battah's Avatar

BW, your lariat looks fantastic! I'm now regretting not doing the class. Must look for some components to make myself one... and the lapis and pearl necklace looks amazing!

ALSO. I can't remember where you posted this, but you made a comment about linen and how there's great linen and so-so linen. Any tips on how to identify the good stuff for us newbies? I'd love to find some nice linen for an embroidered top I'm planning.
    Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Purranha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    Purr - what fun !! And I love her look as well. That dress would look great on you !! Now I'm going to look her up and check out the jewellery!

Is this a trade show ?
    Hi Katbran! Yes it was at the NY_NOW show at the Javits Convention Center in NYC! It takes place twice a year (Feb & Aug) - little h and Heather Benjamin exhibits there. It is a trade show where designers have to pass a jury/panel selection to participate, and the attendees require proper credential/tax ID/registration etc to enter.

Thankfully Jeremy often has two credentials, as little h (we endearingly call him the booth b1tch lol) as well as PP and they graciously offer the NY-PGers to come play, so I get to pretend to be a Jeremy for the day. BAS and BN had posted pictures as well from their last visit in Feb.

Heather has fabulous pieces but her website needs a revamp and doesn't have a lot of selections on it. I have been asked by a few PG ladies to take pictures when I head to the show so if you're interested I can share a link to my dropbox.

And to put it out there - I am a huge fan, but I do not take commission of any sort from anyone - I merely participate as an enthusiastic consumer!

And yes I was dying to get my hands on her dress!!!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

RE: Linen.

Unfortunately, I usually don't know if the linen is good or bad until I've washed and ironed it. However, if you put some around your neck and it's super scratchy, you won't want it next to your body. If it's very smooth and there's no hairy bits, then it's probably OK.

I've bought linen tea towels from a company online, and I can't remember the name of the company right now. They do interesting screen print patterns. I've learned NOT to buy the ones that are one sale. It turns out that the problem isn't with the screen print pattern, but with the linen itself. After washing, the linen wrinkles horribly on the sale ones, but not on the regular price ones. So you might want to sew a little sample square (10 to 12 inches) of the fabrics you are interested in, and throw it in the washer and dryer. Then steam iron. I like 10 inches because it makes any shrinkage easy to measure as a percentage.

Ideally you want wet spun line linen, which will be very smooth.
    Dry spun, tow linen is very hairy, and suitable for burlap sacks.

Flax is a plant that grows 3 feet tall. It is pulled up by its roots and left to rot the outside bark off. Once the bark is scraped off, you end up with yard long fibers. Comb these fibers and you end up with something that looks like long blond hair. This is why princesses in old time fairy tales were described as having long flaxen hair. The short fibers that are combed out are called tow (pronounced "toe"). Little children with short blond hair are called tow headed, because they look like they have tow on their head. Tow makes a very hairy, scratchy yarn when spun. The long fibers are called line, and make a very smooth fine yarn, especially if they are spun while damp to slick down any ends that stick out.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert la_corsetiere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by linda.wald View Post
    It is a very fun necklace. I got a kit for my daughter. She didn't like the ring I picked out, so we got a different one. She did hers differently, cutting the half in thirds instead of halves, and putting 2 pearls on each. It came out very nice. She loves that she can wear it with t-shirts. Thank you!
    Linda, I'm so glad you enjoyed the crafty project and took it a step further! You can use that technique with an infinite variety of findings - stone or shell donuts, rusty washers, pave circles, you name it! As long as you can tie something on to it, it'll work. The nice thing is that with a quick tie/untie, you can easily exchange pearls and neck cord from one centerpiece to another for a completely different look. Since you have a mermaid now, thought I'd show you a possible use while waiting to incorporate her into something more permanent...
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's seriously cute

First-graft Pearl

I like that; I'll have to try it!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member judimcc6's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    RE: Linen.

Unfortunately, I usually don't know if the linen is good or bad until I've washed and ironed it. However, if you put some around your neck and it's super scratchy, you won't want it next to your body. If it's very smooth and there's no hairy bits, then it's probably OK.

I've bought linen tea towels from a company online, and I can't remember the name of the company right now. They do interesting screen print patterns. I've learned NOT to buy the ones that are one sale. It turns out that the problem isn't with the screen print pattern, but with the linen itself. After washing, the linen wrinkles horribly on the sale ones, but not on the regular price ones. So you might want to sew a little sample square (10 to 12 inches) of the fabrics you are interested in, and throw it in the washer and dryer. Then steam iron. I like 10 inches because it makes any shrinkage easy to measure as a percentage.

Ideally you want wet spun line linen, which will be very smooth.
    Dry spun, tow linen is very hairy, and suitable for burlap sacks.

Flax is a plant that grows 3 feet tall. It is pulled up by its roots and left to rot the outside bark off. Once the bark is scraped off, you end up with yard long fibers. Comb these fibers and you end up with something that looks like long blond hair. This is why princesses in old time fairy tales were described as having long flaxen hair. The short fibers that are combed out are called tow (pronounced "toe"). Little children with short blond hair are called tow headed, because they look like they have tow on their head. Tow makes a very hairy, scratchy yarn when spun. The long fibers are called line, and make a very smooth fine yarn, especially if they are spun while damp to slick down any ends that stick out.
    As with linen and any fiber, e.g. cashmere, all the longest fibers are the most desirable. The tighter they are spun the more durable and softer they will be. If you can get Irish linen, it is some of the best in the world. You especially don't want the loose woven fabric that will most certainly shrink. Good luck!
    Judi McCormick
    Judi McCormick Studios
    www.judimccormickjewelry.com

I second Irish linen. There's something about the water there. Belgium linen is also good.

Linen does not shrink. However, the weave structure may draw in. The effect is that the fabric gets smaller. To a weaver, there is a difference between shrinkage and draw in. But to the consumer, yes, loosely woven linen will draw in / shrink. Also, I stay away from knitted linen, as that tends to "shrink" oddly, too. I don't have a problem with knitted cotton / linen or hemp blends.

P.S. My first Vivid Linen dress just arrived. It's a bit funky looking, but it'll be perfect for layering lots of pearls and beating the Florida heat.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 08-15-2018 at 01:43 AM.

I have one more Ruckus treasure that still hasn't arrived yet. But I just got the glamour shot. I bought a SoC 9 mm pearl from Douglas. John at PP made the Frost ring in rose gold for it.

https://p13.zdusercontent.com/attach...RQVBuk2BmpD9Sg

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I have one more Ruckus treasure that still hasn't arrived yet. But I just got the glamour shot. I bought a SoC 9 mm pearl from Douglas. John at PP made the Frost ring in rose gold for it.

https://p13.zdusercontent.com/attach...RQVBuk2BmpD9Sg
    Gotta show that beauty. Gorgeous pearl and a gorgeous ring.

IMG_1959.jpg

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

That ring is perfection, BWeaves. Looking forward to seeing yours, Red.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Oh that's a nice rich rose gold !! And that's a beautiful pearl !!! All in all a real winner !

BWeaves it's gorgeous!

So this is a super weird fashion contribution - most of you didn't get a chance to see this piece as it is my pj/loungewear. But I swear everyone who sees it loves it and many many of my gfs have already bought pieces as well.

So funny story to this - of COURSE my mom was the one to first discover these silk PJs at the Beijing airport. She loved it so much that she practically lives in it 360 out of 365 days lol. I raided her original gown but subsequently found them available online on ebay for cheaper and bought her a whole bunch. Oh, and yes they go GREAT with pearls!

IMG_5154.jpgIMG_5152.jpg

This last picture is me playing with Sheri's super long ropes at the hotel. And yes since I am so little they literally did drag to the ground!
    IMG_5467.jpg

I love that pearl poncho, Purr.