Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    First-graft Pearl

I personally absolutely HATE the ball clasps. I find them so difficult to maneuver. I prefer a magnetic clasp. They are hard to find, but the few that PP and also Tahitianpearls.biz have placed for me are very strong. They are easy on and off. I never worry about them coming off because the magnet is so strong. I actually have a ball magnet clasp on my lemony GSSPs that I posted in another thread.

The orbit clasps are very versatile. I personally have not found them difficult to open. While they are not the most elegant, one can hang a pendant, as BWeaves stated, but you can add an extender very easily to change the length of the piece, depending on what you are wearing. I also have magnetic extenders with CZ's on them that look dressier.

The ball clasps are difficult for me to open and close. I love the orbit clasps and have no teouble wih them on either a necklace or bracelet. Just wish I could find them in vermeil or gold-filled.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

There are so many clasps...there are manufacturers devoted to just producing clasps for jewelry and pearls. Like anything else, it greatly depends on budget. Some of our brilliant pearly peeps have done very well harvesting clasps off of flea market and thrift store finds.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    IGTV: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2thdktr View Post
    I prefer a magnetic clasp. They are hard to find, but the few that PP and also Tahitianpearls.biz have placed for me are very strong. They are easy on and off. I never worry about them coming off because the magnet is so strong. I actually have a ball magnet clasp on my lemony GSSPs that I posted in another thread.
    The story of why I never wear jewelry with magnetic clasps is here.

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/sh...bracelet/page2

Magnetic clasps can come off precisely because they are so strong.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

It may be that the one I have is very tight. My client couldn't open it and I find it hard as well. I do like the look of them and I have some in Sterling that are larger and have no problem. Might be that a larger size would be better.

I too hate ball clasps. I'd take the orbit over a ball clasp.

I too worry a bit about magnetic clasps and have wondered about the ones that slide/twist to the side instead of pulling straight apart. I assumed they did that to avoid the issue of the magnet becoming unglued.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I love the magnetic sterling silver flower clasp sold by Rio Grande (not costly, at $12.49. )
    https://www.riogrande.com/product/st...c-clasp/693627

It is very strong and is a nice size. (Overall length/dimensions : 17.4mm; width : 11.7mm.) It has no scratchy parts to make my neck itch! You release it by "folding" it in half. I used it to string gemstone bead necklaces on wire, and it's also nice for bracelets. I would happily use it with pearls, too. I wish it came in gold filled or yellow gold, but that wouldn't stop me from using it.

I like the small size silver/rhodium plated orbit clasps (a.k.a. oval push clasps). The little ones aren't stiff. I also bought a large size gold one, but I find it stiffer and harder to use.

The little metal trigger on a lobster claw and the toothed par of a fishhook sometimes itch on my neck. I used them in the past but am gradually switching out clasps when it comes time to restring. I don't mind ball clasps...usually. Some are more fiddly than others.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I has have some disco ball screw clasps with white gold and CZs, but I only use them on ropes where I never undo the clasps. I like that they look like a ball without the fishhook sticking out. I'm always afraid of stripping the screw, so I rarely undo these. I like to wear them in front or on the side, as opposed to the back of my neck, because they are sparkly. I do check regularly that they are still screwed together. Most stay tight, but I have one that likes to unscrew itself when I wear it.