Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Welcome, mollywog! We'd love to see your Tahitians and golden ombre strand -- feel free to post photos over on Show Us Your Pearls!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

Welcome mollywog. I hope that you will like it here. I live in sweden, nobody knows anything about pearls here either. Just tiny white pearls, the don't always distinguish between akoyas or freshwaters. It's depressing, someone accually asked me if my rikiteas were magnets...but you will find lovely friends here. Can't wait to see your new pearls.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Welcome mollywog!

Welcome... this is whole new world to express our delight with Pearls!
    Très Jolie Perles

wow! i 've never seen this thread!

HI EVERYONE

I'm also new! just joined few weeks ago and kept coming back every day.

I'm usually in Seoul, South Korea... usually.. )

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Abi's Avatar

Welcome Seoulite!

That's so cool that you live there, my husband and I want to visit S. Korea in the future!
    "The heart of man is very much like the sea, it has its storms, it has its tides and in its depths it has its pearls too."-Vincent Van Gogh

Hello from Northern California! I log into this website every night ( I keep a tab open on my laptop ) since I signed up 3 months ago and have been fascinated with everyone's stories and jewelries! I signed up to this forum after receiving a 6.5-7.0mm Mikimoto pearl necklace from my husband. I asked the experts here since I needed some guidance if it was worth the money spent. After getting some education, I returned the necklace. I wanted a bigger diameter pearl so I have been visiting online stores mentioned in here and hoping to get my first Hanadama necklace soon! I also can't wait to go to my first ruckus.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Welcome mollywog, seoulite, Abi, and Joycebvs! Pearl-Guide is good for your soul but very bad for your wallet -- so many beautiful pearls to lust after.

Hello there. Just dropping in to say "thanks" for being such an excellent resource. It's a slippery slope here though, lol. I just needed solid bead-knotting instructions, but now I'm all starry-eyed over everyone's beautiful collections. Cheers.

Definitely a slippery slope Tamarinda! I think it's pretty much guaranteed that spending on pearls will increase as one spends time on here...

Hey all!. I've started a new business of pearls here in India and this website has been utmost useful for knowledge of pearls. It's great to see so many people enthusiastic of pearls like me lol. I've already spent entire day surfing and I can say this is gem of a site for pearl lovers

Nik

Hi,
    I'm professional jeweller Base in the UK. Even though I happened to work with pearls, I would still like to improve and get more info about them.

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

Welcome everyone! Down the rabbit hole...

Hello everyone! I am new here, and to pearls in general. I recently completed the pearls as one course and am now CPAA certified! I also recently purchased my very first pearl necklace! ( an 18" freshwater AAA multicolor strand with 14k yellow gold filigree clasp from pearls of paradise) So excited for it to arrive! I currently reside in northern Wisconsin, US, and I was wondering what kind of possible job opportunities there are which I could use my newly found pearl expertise in? I really enjoy working with fine jewelry, and am somewhat of a jeweler myself. I'm an artist, and have created some of my own jewelry before, but nothing like a professional, but I'm a quick learner, and have quite a vast set of skills. I'm looking to find a career (or create my own) that I could support myself with, although I'm not sure if creating my own pearl jewelry in my area would be enough to support myself, financially with. Any suggestions or ideas would be very much appreciated!

Hi bradleym0086,

Welcome to Pearl Guide, and congratulations on completing the PEARLSASONE course!

I hope you'll post photos of your new necklace when it arrives! Don't forget a neck shot! We love eye candy.

I am not a seller. I can't advise you from personal experience, only from my observations. Common sense would dictate that you keep your day job while building your jewelry business. It can take years before you begin to turn a profit, so you need to be well-capitalized. Jewelry materials are so costly, as are tools and equipment. If you need to buy books or take classes, that adds to the cost. You need to get a tax ID number as a seller. If selling at jewelry shows, you have to pay fees for your booth and for travel. Etsy and other venues also charge fees. You may decide to travel to large shows to buy your gems or pearls, e.g. Tucson or even to Hong Kong.

It's important to find some way to distinguish your work, to set your jewelry apart, as there are so very many jewelry makers/sellers online, all competing for the same buyer dollars. Etsy is full of jewelry sellers. Any search brings up many pages of results. But if you make something different, beautiful and desirable, you can probably find buyers for it.

Finally there is a large time investment. Time spent sourcing your materials. Time spent making the jewelry. Time spent photographing it. Time spent creating your listings. And then you have to market it. This means time spent building your brand-- building your presence on social media. I've noticed that many Etsy sellers have a page on Instagram and Facebook which helps to promote their brand. They also visit and post comments on other jewelry sellers' pages.

While advertising is not allowed on Pearl Guide, members who sell jewelry can place links in their signature to their web page or Etsy shop, their Instagram and Facebook pages. This enables readers of the forum to click your links to see your items, if they so desire.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 09-22-2019 at 11:02 PM.