Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38
  1. #16
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,593

    Default

    I think it makes sense to wait until you find THE ONE.

    When I think of glorious round or near-round WSS necklaces, I think of 2 primarily:

    1. Icyjade's necklace: Some favourites from my collection

    2. BAS's necklace: https://www.pricescope.com/community...cklace.204933/

  2. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    I think it makes sense to wait until you find THE ONE.

    When I think of glorious round or near-round WSS necklaces, I think of 2 primarily:

    1. Icyjade's necklace: Some favourites from my collection

    2. BAS's necklace: https://www.pricescope.com/community...cklace.204933/
    Oh thank you! Yes! Those are more what I had in mind. Is Eiko a wholesaler? And what is ruckus? Is it a pearl convention?

  3. #18
    Third-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Lady_Disdain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousingigi View Post
    Thanks so much to everyone who has offered advice so far. I’m wondering if I should just hold off on the purchase until something really spectacular crosses my path. I know once I have my strand, I’ll keep them forever, so no sense in buying something where I have the potential of wanting to upgrade later. Does anyone know of any threads where I can look at some photos of other members’ large white south sea pearls so I can get a better idea of what my heart desires? I’ve searched the forum and haven’t seen much in the vein of what I’m buying, lots of beautiful Goldens though!
    Yes, so much yes. This kind of purchase shouldn't be made in a hurry and your heart should sing at it. I don't think you risk much by looking around more.

  4. #19
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousingigi View Post
    Oh thank you! Yes! Those are more what I had in mind. Is Eiko a wholesaler? And what is ruckus? Is it a pearl convention?
    The Pearl-Guide Ruckus is a weekend-long get-together of those P-G members who wish to attend, held yearly in L.A., hosted by Jeremy and Hisano Shepherd of Pearl Paradise. It's coming up at the end of July this year.

    Jeremy rents a mansion and guests can stay there if they wish. Food is provided, and there are lectures and pearl-buying opportunities from several other vendors who attend, and a visit to Pearl Paradise on Sunday. Some folks attend yearly and see old friends. I have not attended personally, but I do enjoy seeing all the photos and videos posted during and after the Ruckus.

    I did an Advanced Search using "Ruckus" as keyword, searching titles only, and came up with these threads you may enjoy browsing:
    https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/se...earchid=313950

    Baby Nurse and Icyjade have pearls from Eiko and maybe they can tell you more about that company.

  5. #20

    Default

    Thank you so much! Ruckus sounds like it might be right up my alley!

  6. #21
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,593

    Default

    Cousingigi,
    Email newberry very soon if you wish to stay at the residence. https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/se...member&u=22001
    They are currently in their final planning stages.

  7. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Cousingigi,
    Email newberry very soon if you wish to stay at the residence. https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/se...member&u=22001
    They are currently in their final planning stages.
    Darn, I think the page is restricted to accounts more senior than mine.

  8. #23
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,593

    Default

    Here is the thread about Ruckus 2018-- try clicking on her username on one of her posts and sending a PM or email that way.

    Pearl-Guide Ruckus, 2018


  9. #24
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert newberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    1,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousingigi View Post
    Darn, I think the page is restricted to accounts more senior than mine.
    Here's my email newberrycs@aol.com
    Please let us know as soon as possible. We are making final arrangements Monday.

  10. #25
    Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    5,548

    Default

    Definitely dont buy anything that isn't exactly what you want. You can throw the dice on freshwaters and fun pearls but when you start hitting the rare air of Round WSS then you start to look at big bucks. So you want to be sure of what you are getting because even at the mid range they are pricey.
    Most people can't afford the top shelf stuff. I just looked at a single large WSS pearl that wholesales for $5000 / that's ONE pearl. Thats what I'm talking about at the high end. So spend time looking at pearls..go into stores and take a close look. The more you look at the better you will understand what you are seeing.

  11. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    Definitely dont buy anything that isn't exactly what you want. You can throw the dice on freshwaters and fun pearls but when you start hitting the rare air of Round WSS then you start to look at big bucks. So you want to be sure of what you are getting because even at the mid range they are pricey.
    Most people can't afford the top shelf stuff. I just looked at a single large WSS pearl that wholesales for $5000 / that's ONE pearl. Thats what I'm talking about at the high end. So spend time looking at pearls..go into stores and take a close look. The more you look at the better you will understand what you are seeing.
    You are so right about the high end! I have seen south sea strands for 50k or more. Sometimes I will go to parties and see women wearing strands which I know must be of this quality level but you never get close enough to them and they never stand still long enough for you to ogle them! (How dare they, right? It’s not like you can look at your own pearls while you’re wearing them, so slow down and let me admire, lol!)

    I just don’t know if I’d ever get into anything gem quality for that reason... because I don’t think most people would have the chance to appreciate them and I wouldn’t be able to look at them other than in the jewelry box. I guess I’m looking for the magic strand that is a happy blend of everything I want. Roundness, size, color, luster. I don’t mind a few blemishes, I actually think they are a very bold statement. A slightly blemished but beautiful pearl announces itself, “I’m real!” And I think they are more likely to spark the interest of others and create conversation.

    What has been your experience?

  12. #27
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,593

    Default

    Very high end pearls worn by someone whose overall look (clothes, shoes, bags, hair etc.) isn't similarly high end will tend to be assumed to be fake, I think. A few blemishes, a bit of off-roundness, will make the pearls look real.

    Conversely, people tend to assume pearls are real when worn by wealthy or influential women. The famous 3 strand pearl necklace worn by Jackie Kennedy, and Barbara Bush's large pearl multi-strand choker, were fakes made by Kenneth Jay Lane.

  13. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Very high end pearls worn by someone whose overall look (clothes, shoes, bags, hair etc.) isn't similarly high end will tend to be assumed to be fake, I think. A few blemishes, a bit of off-roundness, will make the pearls look real.

    Conversely, people tend to assume pearls are real when worn by wealthy or influential women. The famous 3 strand pearl necklace worn by Jackie Kennedy, and Barbara Bush's large pearl multi-strand choker, were fakes made by Kenneth Jay Lane.
    How fascinating! I just read up on both of those strands and how people used to prefer the Czech Glass pearls over organic pearls because the science of culturing wasn’t advanced enough to produce perfect specimens. I wonder how much of that was the mid century cultural preference to have everything look extremely perfect... white eggs, white bread, etc.

  14. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Here is the thread about Ruckus 2018-- try clicking on her username on one of her posts and sending a PM or email that way.

    Pearl-Guide Ruckus, 2018
    Thank you! That link worked!

  15. #30
    Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    5,548

    Default

    I have really very little interest in large round pearls. They can become so large that , as Pattye said, they look like beads.And I find Baroques and light circles more interesting... and I love drop shapes. If I was ever to get a WSS strand for myself it would be baroque or drop. However, I do like round studs !
    Quote Originally Posted by Cousingigi View Post
    You are so right about the high end! I have seen south sea strands for 50k or more. Sometimes I will go to parties and see women wearing strands which I know must be of this quality level but you never get close enough to them and they never stand still long enough for you to ogle them! (How dare they, right? It’s not like you can look at your own pearls while you’re wearing them, so slow down and let me admire, lol!)

    I just don’t know if I’d ever get into anything gem quality for that reason... because I don’t think most people would have the chance to appreciate them and I wouldn’t be able to look at them other than in the jewelry box. I guess I’m looking for the magic strand that is a happy blend of everything I want. Roundness, size, color, luster. I don’t mind a few blemishes, I actually think they are a very bold statement. A slightly blemished but beautiful pearl announces itself, “I’m real!” And I think they are more likely to spark the interest of others and create conversation.

    What has been your experience?

Similar Threads

  1. Want to buy South Sea Pearl strand
    By Mastiiffmom in forum South Sea Pearls
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-21-2018, 05:37 AM
  2. Bluish South Sea pearl strand
    By Cees in forum South Sea Pearls
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-23-2015, 10:03 PM
  3. Beautiful Multi-color Tahiti-South Sea pearl strand
    By Cees in forum Show Us Your Pearls!
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-10-2014, 01:27 AM
  4. Please help evaluate these pearls - what do I have?
    By Frink in forum What Kind of Pearls do I have?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 11:09 PM
  5. What We Need to Know to Best Evaluate Your Pearls
    By Bacca in forum What Kind of Pearls do I have?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 02:30 PM