Default Please help to identify pearls.

A friend of mine has been demolishing an old house and found a little pouch with pearl necklace inside it. He gave it to me as he had no interest in pearls. I had it for a few years now but never actually did any research on it. On the clasp it says 8 C P England. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Nice find! A 3-strand graduated cultured akoya pearls necklace. Some are baroque-- the ones that have little protrusions or nacre near the drill hole, as we see in the second-to-last photo.

I suppose the clasp is silver? Do you see a 925 stamped anywhere on it, maybe on the tongue? You might want to get a jeweler to tell you what the stone is.

Do you wear them? If you do, or would like to, I recommend restringing them; silk weakens with age and exposure to skin oils and moisture. Many of us restring our own pearls-- it's not hard (especially if you use polyester thread instead of silk) and the material needed coast very little: thread, a flexible wire needle, and a bit of "gimp" or "French Wire" to finish it neatly at the clasp. If that interests you, have a look at the tutorials on our Lowly Beaders Club forum.

Such a beautiful and generous gift! The pearls look like they are in good condition too! I agree with Pearl Dreams you should have them restrung.

Thank you very much for your valuable opinion. I did not expect it. I will certainly have an expert to look at them.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

VeraQ, a lovely gift and wouldn't it be great if the stones in the clasp were diamonds?
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lilliefuzzysocks's Avatar

What a great find. If this style doesn't fit your life, it could be converted into a beautiful rope or something else.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

I love that clasp! Maybe one of our UK friends can chime in here, but I believe that all jewelry produced there must have certain assay marks on metal content as well as makers marks.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    IGTV: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

So I took it to the jeweller and he did confirm that these are cultured semi baroque pearls. He didn't say anything about the clasp though. But when I've asked if he knows someone who can value them he said they don't have much value at all. Is that so? I love the necklace anyway, it's beautiful but it would be nice to know.

As for the hallmarks on the clasp I have tried to find something on internet but no luck so far. Will keep you updated.

Co-Founder: Cortez Pearls Senior Guide Member CortezPearls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Nice find! A 3-strand graduated cultured akoya pearls necklace. Some are baroque-- the ones that have little protrusions or nacre near the drill hole, as we see in the second-to-last photo.

I suppose the clasp is silver? Do you see a 925 stamped anywhere on it, maybe on the tongue? You might want to get a jeweler to tell you what the stone is.

Do you wear them? If you do, or would like to, I recommend restringing them; silk weakens with age and exposure to skin oils and moisture. Many of us restring our own pearls-- it's not hard (especially if you use polyester thread instead of silk) and the material needed coast very little: thread, a flexible wire needle, and a bit of "gimp" or "French Wire" to finish it neatly at the clasp. If that interests you, have a look at the tutorials on our Lowly Beaders Club forum.
    Totally Agree with Pearl Dreams
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Co-Founder Cortez Pearl Farm
    Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico
    Douglas McLaurin's Blog
    Sustainable Cortez Pearl Jewelry: www.perlas.mx
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube
    ]

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

I'm surprised the jeweler didn't use a diamond tester on the stones in the clasp. What does it say on the side of the spring ring? A very rough estimate, the pearls could be valued anywhere from a few hundred dollars to over a thousand, depending on whether the clasp has diamonds. Older Akoya pearls are known for having thicker nacre as they were left in the oyster longer, so are very desirable. Your pearls don't appear to have any damage, dirt or heavy use. That type of security chain was used in the 30's and 40's, possibly 50's.

England does have a better tracking system for makers marks. Have you already had a look here?
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----