Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

Thank you for sharing, lilliefuzzysocks.
    I have found chemical composition of this product: diméthylformamide, graded as dangerous for foetus in Europe, and dichloromethane, graded as carcinogenic in Europe, too.
    These substances are not authorized for sale to private customers, here, even very difficult to buy for professional uses. So you can remove polymerized epoxy, not me, but please, take care, a bit........
    This is an american link about hazardous health informations on this product (we are more severe in Europe):
    https://www.riogrande.com/content/At...mover-MSDS-pdf
    Last edited by ericw; 05-04-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lilliefuzzysocks's Avatar

Eric, They are soaking outside my home, inside a glass jar which is inside a ziplock plastic sack. I use gloves and a spoon to remove them from the liquid.

Good, lilliefuzzysocks, but problem is to junk the liquid (which is very dangerous for environment, specially water life) after use. Even vapors are dangerous for anybody and any animal's lifes around.
    Last edited by ericw; 05-04-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Many communities have a place to take hazardous materials for proper disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Many communities have a place to take hazardous materials for proper disposal.
    I wish that, Pearl Dreams. In Europe, experiment has shown it's very difficult to manage this kind of hazardous substances, mostly to trust people and industries to make it well. The result has been to forbidden their use to private customers, and to make truly hard rules and controls of use by industries.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I've had good luck with very hot water; putting the earring in a glass of water in the microwave; then soak in Acetone. After each step I pull gently and steadily on the pearl ... a few rotations of these three steps has always worked.

Katbran, if you have removed good epoxy by this way, you are luky! I'll try that.
    Now, strangely, acetone is one of the less hazardous solvents for health.

Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    I've had good luck with very hot water; putting the earring in a glass of water in the microwave; then soak in Acetone. After each step I pull gently and steadily on the pearl ... a few rotations of these three steps has always worked.
    Katbran isn't acetone gonna affect the pearl's quality?

Acetone is safe for real pearls.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Acetone is safe for real pearls.
    I agree. Acetone can attack only dying, but never nacre, with a little remark : this solvent remove also water, a well known effect on nails when we use it to remove nail enamel, and conchyoline don't like to be dried, like nails ( that's nearly the same organic component). So, it is prudent to bath pearls in water after treatment with acetone.

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Acetone is very dangerous :Exposure to high levels of acetone can cause death, coma, unconsciousness, seizures, and respiratory distress. It can damage your kidneys and the skin in your mouth. Breathing moderate-to-high levels of acetone for short periods of time can cause nose, throat, lung, and eye irritation.23 Aug 2017.
    Prolonged exposure to lower levels can kill (ie overnight in a closed room)

I don't agree, pearlescence : acetone can irritate eyes, sure, and make troubles of consciousness only at very very high levels of exposure, but its hazardous level of general exposure is 2400mg/m3 of air, comparatively, dangerous level of ethanol is 1900 mg/m3, so, usual alcohol is more dangerous than acetone. Our organism produce acetone itself.
    I have never read acetone can kill someone, but to be drawned in, maybe. What you are describing looks more like trichlorethylene damages.
    The greatest danger, with acetone, that's its vapors are heavy, and stay back, just upon the floor, in a closed room. Then, vapors concentration is hidden despite hazardous levels which can easily catch fire.

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Comes from google/wikipedia. Argue with them. People also don't take carbon tetrachloride seriously

In french version, Wikipedia signals some of the effects you notice, but in experimentation at high levels of exposure with animals, and says that it doesn't know if that can be observed on humans. Wikipedia don't speak of death. Of course, acetone is not good to make a jacuzzi, but I repeat it's one of less hazardous solvents. Just take truly care about fire.
    Talking of trichloroethylene, this very hazardous solvent is forbidden for sale to private customers, now, in Europe. It was a component of famous sticks which were "sniffed" before, to cause so much damages to youth (killing neurons).
    Last edited by ericw; 05-06-2018 at 03:58 PM.

Modifying my above post to be clearer, wiping pearls with acetone is safe for the pearls. You can wipe pearls with acetone to remove glue or marker. I agree that it's a good idea to wipe the acetone off with with a dampened cloth afterward.

But if left soaking in acetone, dyed pearls can be adversely affected. A few years back, Ashley posted a thread here about the effects of leaving pearls soaking in various solutions. Black akoyas, which are dyed, were significantly affected by being left soaking acetone. Here is the thread:

Pearls and Acids - Experimental Exposure

Acetone, or any volatile chemicals, should only be used in a well-ventilated area and exposure time should be limited-- it's only prudent.