Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

Well... What a pity if suppliers, even warned, become not more carefully for health of their clients, as you say. Power of money is incredible, to kill or make oneself let die and everybody around for just a pearls' handle. A time when safety is number one for all people's mind, devil stays well covered in details...
    Last edited by ericw; 11-03-2017 at 09:12 AM.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ericw View Post
    Sorry, sure I have not well understood your phrase, Pearlescence. I am talking about a reaction from retailers, in the world, first.
    eric, I believe Pearlescence was referring to Brexit.

Thank you, Pearl Dreams... My poor english is annoying for everybody, I should so much want to talk easier with you.
    Brexit or not, danger of formaldehyde is valid for all the earth, where are sold these oysters.
    It's also a problem with web market, where weapons, sometimes, or very dangerous chemicals, always, can be bought easely, even in Europe, even to europeen sellers. Customs can't right control such a great number of shipments. It's why I have suggested a buyers' action itself. It's why, also, I have explained an other right way to preserve oysters without dangers fo users, to give to buyers any means to negociate with producers, according to the interest of everyone.
    Last edited by ericw; 11-03-2017 at 09:07 AM.

Thank you, Pearl Dreams... My poor english is annoying for everybody, I should so much want to talk easier with you.
    Brexit or not, danger of formaldehyde is valid for all the earth, where are sold these oysters.
    It's also a problem with web market, where weapons, sometimes, or very dangerous chemicals, always, can be bought easely, even in Europe, even to europeen sellers. Customs can't right control such a great number of shipments. It's why I have suggested a buyers' action itself. It's why, also, I have explained an other right way to preserve oysters without dangers fo users, to give to buyers any means to negociate with producers, according to the interest of everyone.
    Not annoying for me Eric. Your English is pretty good. I understand everything you say. Must be annoying for you that you don't always understand us though.
    Customs could probably control it better if the oysters were labeled as oysters. But they are not they come into the UK labeled as loose pearls.

Yep, that's not a small bug! I should be interested to know frensh import label, the same as in UK, I think.
    That makes me think of biggest freshwater pearls'beads which can make with tridacna clams nacre, protected specy... But if these beads are difficult to identify by customs, that's less for the difference between pearls and oysters!

Yep, that's not a small bug! I should be interested to know frensh import label, the same as in UK, I think.
    That makes me think of biggest freshwater pearls'beads which can make with tridacna clams nacre, protected specy... But if these beads are difficult to identify by customs, that's less for the difference between pearls and oysters!
    Customs here will just have to start looking a little closer at all shipments of pearls coming into the country.

Hopefully customs may enforce to have clearer labelling in the future xx
    UK resident
    CPAA pearl diploma
    Photographer
    Pearl Admirer

I don’t mind if my pearls take an extra week to arrive if customs have to start checking every package marked pearls? If it means these things are found and stopped from entering the country.

Quote Originally Posted by PixieMoon View Post
    I don’t mind if my pearls take an extra week to arrive if customs have to start checking every package marked pearls? If it means these things are found and stopped from entering the country.
    Me too Pixie. At least people will be safe and not at risk to any harmful chemicals
    UK resident
    CPAA pearl diploma
    Photographer
    Pearl Admirer

I know that everythings imported from China, in France, especially e-shipping, are the most controlled to find counterfeit, and it can yet take a long time. It would be simple to report to customs an additive point to control, in UK too.
    Last edited by ericw; 11-03-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PixieMoon View Post
    It would be ok. If everyone’s pearls took a little longer to arrive then all pearl sellers would just take that into consideration when ordering. It wouldn’t take long to adjust to I’m sure.

Anytime we can read nonsenses on the net. For exemple, that ethanol, which would be right to preserve oysters, can kill pearls (More sure it would be acetic acid, contained by a bad ethanol, to do that). I have tried to keep a pearl in alcohol, without damage for it. I think that it's only important to get lower percentage than 90% medical standart, because strong alcohol is avid of water, and mights take it from pearl.
    Last edited by ericw; 11-05-2017 at 10:24 AM.

I really cannot understand the attraction of opening an oyster that has been dead numerous days, to put your fingers all around it's insides just to find a small, bad quality pearl!
    I can understand the element of surprise BUT it would be cheaper & less harmful to have the host put them into shell shaped boxes of different colors & have people choose them. The surprise is still there but the chemicals are not.
    I'm sure the companies who sell the oysters sell the pearls loose too? Probably cheaper too to buy in bulk as well.
    There are so many alternatives than these poor oysters. Those juvenile Akoya oysters could have produced some top quality Hanadama if they had been given the chance!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pandorasbox View Post
    I really cannot understand the attraction of opening an oyster that has been dead numerous days, to put your fingers all around it's insides just to find a small, bad quality pearl!
    I can understand the element of surprise BUT it would be cheaper & less harmful to have the host put them into shell shaped boxes of different colors & have people choose them. The surprise is still there but the chemicals are not.
    I'm sure the companies who sell the oysters sell the pearls loose too? Probably cheaper too to buy in bulk as well.
    There are so many alternatives than these poor oysters. Those juvenile Akoya oysters could have produced some top quality Hanadama if they had been given the chance!
    I suspect that these oysters were the rejects of a pearl farmer...it just doesn't make much sense to use a perfectly good akoya oyster for this purpose. I completely agree with you...Why would you sacrifice a good akoya oyster that could potentially yield a more valuable pearls?
    Etsy Shop: Ocean's Cove
    Instagram: Ocean's Cove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: Ocean's Cove

Quote Originally Posted by Pandorasbox View Post
    The idea of putting loose pearls into boxes, or something similar, has been suggested in the past. It was often met with a hostile responses. Maybe now that the truth is out about the oysters these party hosts may be more receptive to alternatives.