Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My dearest pearl knotting community, I'd like to hop onto this thread, hopefully Luvglitz, you don't mind!
    If say I have about 50 5-8mm pearls (.7 to .8 mm drill holes) that I'd like to combine with the same strung length of 2-4mm diameter faceted gemstone beads that only have .4mm drill holes.
    Can this be done at all via knotting? I bought some .13mm PowerPro (thanks for initiating me, Pattye!) which works well with the gemstone beads but I could not fit it if doubled.
    The pearls obviously slip over these single knots.
    Would it be okay to use the little stones as "bumpers" for the pearls and knot only between each of the 3-4 pieces of gemstone beads between each pair of pearls? Or should I buy some metal spacers (thinking silver) instead to add before and after each pearl to protect her? I would prefer not using silicone/polymer bumper beads.
    What do you think, I'd love to get some input!

PearlDreams, this lovely necklace you made looks very similar to what I have in mind layoutwise:

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Not long ago I restrung my baroque blue akoyas on beading wire with small faceted rhodolite garnets.
    Attachment 60623

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

morella, you don't want to use beading wire? That is what I used.

Thank you! Beading wire seems to be the most reasonable way to go ... BUT: I just love the waterlike drape of a knotted strand, and I really want to learn how to do it properly. Do you think metal spacer beads would be enough to protect the pearls?

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Knotting between the gemstone beads when combining with larger drilled hole pearls works great and you still get a lovely drape. Gemstone beads do not leave black marks on the pearls like metal beads do. When using power pro you also do not need to worry about a chance sharp edge on the gemstone bead because that stuff is crazy strong. Looking forward to seeing what you create! Oh and be sure to lay out your design with several pearls on each side of the clasp to accommodate your back knotting.

Dear Marianne, thank you so much for your comment! Great advice about the pearls near the clasp, I haven't thought about that at all! Clasp in general .. and french wire .. I need more resources.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I agree with Marianne that knotting between the gemstones when combined with larger drilled pearls is a good way to go. I also prefer the drape of knotting. Another idea is to use a surgeons knot next to the pearls, which creates a slightly larger knot. This allows you to use the same thread, but prevents the knot from slipping into the pearl. Please post neck shots when you’re finished your project!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

In my Mom's lapis rope where I swapped out the small akoyas for the larger Freshadama pearls, I knotted between the lapis beads, but did not knot between the gold beads (huge holes) and the pearls (small holes). As long as you are consistent in where you knot and where you don't knot, it looks on purpose.

Awesome, thank you everyone! Now I only need to get another needle. The only ultra thin wire that was strong enough for the task in the house was my needle threader, so I choped off the wire and used that ... but after half of the beads/pearls it broke. I'll get a replacement or something better (if they have it at my local beading shop) later.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

you can make your own bedding needles in a pinch! some of us use copper wires from old electrical cord. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U0z...EoJr7kQcEYXZhA

Quote Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
    you can make your own bedding needles in a pinch! some of us use copper wires from old electrical cord.
    Genius! Thank you! While I am at it: I just got back from my goldsmith's where I picked up a little silver spring ring. I was set on using french wire. She said, she detests that stuff because she can never source pure (unplated) gold (or even pure silver? Can't remember) ... and then those 40k GSS strands have this black oxidized gunk at the end. Hm. So she rather those hollow ball caps and shellac. I am somewhat afraid of using just glue and not looping the thread. I'm also not sure if the two component epoxy I usually use for glueing pearls will work well with the PowerPro.
    Any experiences about that?

Thanks!

Anna

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by morella View Post
    Genius! Thank you! While I am at it: I just got back from my goldsmith's where I picked up a little silver spring ring. I was set on using french wire. She said, she detests that stuff because she can never source pure (unplated) gold (or even pure silver? Can't remember) ... and then those 40k GSS strands have this black oxidized gunk at the end. Hm. So she rather those hollow ball caps and shellac. I am somewhat afraid of using just glue and not looping the thread. I'm also not sure if the two component epoxy I usually use for glueing pearls will work well with the PowerPro.
    Any experiences about that?

Thanks!

Anna
    Just FYI, you can easily get sterling silver gimp (French wire). I haven't seen karat gold, but I've been tempted to try making my own using very thin gauge wire.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    IGTV: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove