Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Charlotta's Avatar

I have my jewelry in a big jewelry box that I always place in the a Gun safe. Not-husband made a shelf for me. He accually was the one to suggest that I use that ever though we have an alarm system. I only have the jewelry I don't like in a box in the bedroom, if any of the children wants something. They don't get my favorites....

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

I have an excel master file that has quick info like: short description, purchase cost, current market value (very behind on updating this LOL)
    Then I have all other information in computer file folders, one for each individual piece: photos, scans or pdfs of receipts, and full descriptions (the one that came with the item, one that I've written, and sometimes both). I keep these files backed up on several external hard drives, one of which lives in my bank box. All that said, it took me FOREVER about 7 years ago to corral all this information and I am now 7 years behind on updating everything (especially handmade pieces which, since I mainly use gold and high quality gems, has been neglectful of me). I've tried to break my collection into categories for easier searching: antique/vintage, family inherited or gifted, handmade, and natural pearl collection. Eventually, I'd like to create printable 1-2 pagers for each piece that I can print out and keep in a binder as a secondary backup and easier at-home reference system. So much effort and time to do this though and I have a real lack of time and energy currently LOL. I keep 2/3s of my collection at the bank (each piece in an individual baggie), the other 1/3 I keep in an Agresti jewelry chest that I adore.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Then I'll tell my brother and sister that the jewelry will is in my safe deposit box. I keep meaning to do this. I really need to get on it. I have no children and nobody knows what I have.
    Be aware that unless your siblings are signers on the SDB, they may not be able to get into it for a while (laws vary by state).
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by ennui View Post
    Be aware that unless your siblings are signers on the SDB, they may not be able to get into it for a while (laws vary by state).
    Yes, this! I don't have a cosignor on my box currently, but that will be coming. I had a friend who took over as POA for a senile aunt who had a LOT of gold in a safe deposit box, and the only reason the small rural bank let her access it (she wasn't a cosignor) is because she had been to that bank previously with her aunt in better days and someone recognized her. I don't think that would work in most places though.

Quote Originally Posted by Purranha View Post
    I have an entire excel spreadsheet of my jewelry inventory. It's a bit nuts, but I have a separate tab for each category: Rings, Earrings, Necklaces, Bracelets, etc etc etc. In each tab, I include detailed item info in separate columns of purchase date, vendor/designer, purchase price, some specs, etc.
    Then the supporting tabs are pulled into a summary tab which gives an overview of all of my items, and I make note of items whereabouts (home vs bank safe, etc).
    The spreadsheet will be the basis of my will rider, and I'll add a column of who each items should go to since I also don't have kids! I don't want my jewelry sold, I want them to go to various friends & family.
    I keep photo for inventory/insurance purposes in a folder on the cloud, along with the Jewelry inventory excel sheet. The photos are renamed to match their names/description in the excel sheet.
    The initial conversion onto an electronic inventory system could be a bit painful. But once the initial conversion is done, maintenance is not bad!
    Purr - do you use a particular cell/sheet formula to generate the summary tab?

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ennui View Post
    Good point!!! I should put my brother on my SDB.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Purranha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MSC View Post
    Purr - do you use a particular cell/sheet formula to generate the summary tab?
    Hey girl, WOW your system sounds impressive - I for one would have zero idea on how to find out current market value? And my purchase record is spotty since I often shop at "Mommy's Drawer" and she does have record but a lot of them are handwritten and not as centralized/organized as mine. Plus I simply can't do this for all of my jewelries so I separate my items into "precious" and "semi-precious" categories. I keep closer track of the former of course and loosely the second category if at all (especially since I chop them up and rework them from time to time).

I have a strong preference for keeping my excel formulas simple. So in my backup tabs, they are all named. And since I have items scattered in NYC and Taipei, I have a column where I keep track of their whereabouts. In my NYC summary tab, I just do a simple data pull of [=IF(Rings!$O46="US",Rings!$E46, "")]. So the formula looks up the location (Column O) and if it sees US, it returns the description of the item (Column E), otherwise it leaves the cell blank.

In my summary tab I have a column for each category, and when I copy and paste the formula from one column to the next, I do a universal Find/Replace of the tab name so it automatically adjust and pulls data from the appropriate tab. In this case, I make all my updates and additions in the backup tab and my summary page is automatically updated just so I have a cursory view of what I have locally.

I make note of NYC item locations (home vs safe) on the summary tab and I just do a quick manual input and have different symbols for home vs safe. Doesn't reduce any work there to do it by formula. I also do a tally of number of items in each category, as well as purchase cost for each category and my entire jewelry portfolio. For the number of tally, I do a tally for items at home vs safe, and I do a "countif" formula of my location column.

I hope that make sense, and would be interested in feedbacks if there are more efficient formulas out there!

I have a hanging mirror armoire for everyday and costume items. Recently have been hanging pearl strands in there because I'm too lazy to go into my safe. My jeweler recommended the safe company and it has velvet lined jewelry drawers in addition to 2 shelves. It was bolted to the floor by same company and it is so heavy, I can't imagine someone being able to cart it off without a lot of difficulty. I have it in a closet that can be locked, in a room that can be locked, in a house with an alarm system. I intend to take it with me when I move. Unfortunately, I have overstuffed the safe, so I do have pearls strands in vintage jewelry boxes on my dresser as well--not the most expensive ones.
    My goal for when I retire ( which will be very soon) is to take all of my pearl appraisals and take mini polaroids of the pieces and attach them to the appraisals. Those items without appraisals will get a picture and description with any provenance included. I will keep in a paper file for my sons and sister, who is my executrix. I'm old fashioned-- I admire anyone who can figure out Excel.

Purr - okay! I'm going to give that a shot - thanks for explaining the process!!

I like your method, 2th - much more low key

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Oh, 2thdr, you inadvertently cracked me up. I thought the end of your sentence was going to be “....I plan to take it with me when I go...”, you know?

Raise your hands, who else thought that’s where her sentence was headed, and you were nodding in agreement?

Quote Originally Posted by lisa c View Post
    Oh, 2thdr, you inadvertently cracked me up. I thought the end of your sentence was going to be “....I plan to take it with me when I go...”, you know?

Raise your hands, who else thought that’s where her sentence was headed, and you were nodding in agreement?
    Hahaha! You never know-- I may just take it with me when I go!! It will be hard to part with those pearls!

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Hehehe, too funny!

BWeaves, I was wondering if you finally decided on a storage system for your jewelry?
    I just purchased a Wolf large Maria zipped case and a travel roll with 4 zipper compartments to store my jewelry and planning on buying more to organize my collection. These are easy to put in the safe or stock somewhere hidden from prying eyes/hands... this way I can keep the silver pieces all in one place, the yellow golds in another and same for the white gold pieces (Iím kind of OCDying with this organization lol!). And also easy to organize the pearls by type, Tahitians, goldens and whites!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

No, I'm afraid I'm still using what I've got. I still haven't quite been able to find what I think I need. I'll check out the Wolf Maria. Thanks!