Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I want to know.. What started your Love of Pearls

I will start!
    I have always had a love of nature and how things are formed. Rocks, unique plants, fossils.. you name it. I find it fascinating. Unfortunately, pearls never ran in the family so I didn't have any exposure to them until recently with the awful pearl parties. After getting past those I found you awesome people and in an incredibly short amount of time I have learned an incredible amount of information.
    I personally have a love of mabe pearls, white saltwater pearls and those South Sea Golden pearls I just recently saw on here. Right now I only have a rice pearl bracelet but I have some silk, needles and strands of pearls on the way to me!
    I would love to know what started others love of pearls and if you have a favorite piece what it is! I don't have a favorite piece at the moment because ..well.. I just haven't been around them long enough to find one
    Last edited by Shiby; 01-02-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

There's a similar thread that many have posted on which you may enjoy reading:
    https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/sh...ls-and-jewelry

It started very early for me. My mother had taken my brother and me to see Santa at a local park. The Santa had wrapped gifts he was giving out, boys got one type and girls got another. (It was the early 1960s! Forget gender-neutral gifts.) I got a strand of fake pearls, which I absolutely loved. I was basically hooked from then on!

I do not have a favorite piece. I love them all!

Oh, and to edit your title, Edit Post > Go Advanced.

That's kinda awesome! I only ever got those little candy canes! hahahah

I suspect our city had a more generous budget for such things back then.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I'm not sure what got me started on pearls. I remember loving them even as a child. They were pretty. And they felt good on, like velvet. I loved everything from Victorian dog collar chokers to the long long ropes worn by flappers. And that's back when I thought pearls only came in that pinked white color and only came in one size.

from a book" 20000 leagues under the sea", mentioned the pearling in Mannar
    I was amazed by the description in the book about the pearls, "a pearl worth ten million"
    Well, Gulf of Mannar doesnt produce that kind of giant pearls, very famous for pearl fishery though.

Oh, books! We had to read The Pearl by John Steinbeck in grade 7. That surely fed into my fascination with pearls.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

It was when I learned that pearls were not all round and white. So, just a few years ago when Chinese freshwater pearls flooded the market. Even then my first purchases were dyed pearls. It took me a while to learn to recognize and appreciate the luster and orient of the finest pearls.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Like Red...took me quite awhile to come to the love of pearls. Tahitians caught my eye..and then all the baroques.. sigh

Lol I like how it says all the baroques
    I love baroques and mabes and all of the weird shapes they can come out like

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sanippy's Avatar

My jewellery obsession started with a love for coloured stones about 4 years ago.. Then a couple of years ago my mum returned from trip from Japan with Mikimoto earrings for my sister and me. That was it, my love for pearls began! It started with a preference for white, round pearls. Then metallics and fireballs caught me eye. Then I got my first Tahitian and I've been Tahitian obsessed ever since!
    Last edited by Sanippy; 01-03-2017 at 04:01 AM.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sea Urchin's Avatar

A few years ago, I wanted a set of grown up pearls for my anniversary. It just seemed like I should finally have some, for some reason. I got a nice strand of white freshwater pearls and matching stud earrings. I had no idea I'd then want the rest of the pearls in the world too.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

I saw a pair of small grey freshwater studs when I was a teenager and saved for several months to be able to buy them. Another two pair of small studs came along but it took buying a FW strand marked as Tahitian for $75 about 6 years ago to bring me back to pearls.

- Karin

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member moneymeister's Avatar

Pearls are such lovely, glowy jewelry. I had some nasty rice crispy strings back in the 80's (those fellow 80's folks will remember!, we all did). They looked great with a tan and dressed everything up. White chalky wonky things. Back then, it was rice crispy or nothing for working class high school girls. It started there and could really go nowhere but up

For me, it was a pair of sterling silver chandelier earrings set with FW button pearls (in my early 20s). Until then, I'd only ever seen standard pearl studs or single strands. They always seemed so formal & dressy to me, and as someone who'd always gone for colored stones, I'd never taken much notice of pearls. (I have an April birthday, and disliked my birthstone - diamond - growing up because I thought they were boring! I'd have much preferred amethyst or emerald.) But then I see this beautiful, unique pair of earrings that looked even better on, and an appreciation for pearls was born! Once I discovered FWP naturally came in different colors and were easily attainable, I was hooked.