Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Octavia's Mom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CathyKeshi View Post
    MyPearls, I have 26 years in shipping and handling experience. I recommend you video and still photograph that package and label, on a scale, showing the package weight ... UNOPENED. That should document the weight of the package versus the contents in case of a dispute. Then do the same photographs of the box and the contents laid out next to the box. Good luck to you; please come back and let us know how you make out.
    Great advice that wouldn't have occurred to me. But how sad that we have to guard against fraud in this way.

New to the forum

Hi, everyone. I am new here but speaking of Open an Oyster, the girl who runs that business on facebook is selling supposedly akoya pearls and people are raving over them condemning anyone who claims they are dyed have no idea what they are talking about. Perhaps they may be akoya but I thought if they were dyed, the FTC required a disclosure stating as much. You have people who know little or nothing about pearls purchasing from this woman and its a downright lie about the color. She even acts like she is selling the very oyster that created the pearl which is even a bigger lie. So my concern is she supposedly just did over 1000 orders for her oysters and at $25, it seems someone is making money based on fraud. What am I missing here and does it insult those of you who have real pearl based education. I tend to live and let live but when I see someone base a business on fraud, it bothers me. Its true because she says its true and her minions support that?
    The world is a weird place. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

ymtrader2015, welcome to Pearl-Guide.

Freshwater pearls (which is what are placed into the saltwater akoya oyster shells) come in natural colors in the lavender/peach/pink/white/cream range, and some are even more exotic. They do not come in natural black colors; those are dyed.

Inactive Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Quote Originally Posted by ymtrader2015 View Post
    What am I missing here and does it insult those of you who have real pearl based education. I tend to live and let live but when I see someone base a business on fraud, it bothers me.
    You are not missing anything. In fact, you got right to the point. It's not an insult per se, because most of us know the truth and have the opportunity to surround ourselves with wonderful gems produced in a sustainable manner by honest farmers or collectors. I don't pity cheapskates expecting a good deal when in fact actually paying an exorbitant markup. The pearls come from Alibaba in buckets or individual packs in of lots of 100. The average price is 1 to 2 dollars. At $20, that's 1000% markup. Absence of disclosure is one thing, but the suggestion of genuine origin and color is fraud.

Apparently the UK has taken a proactive measure, having banned imports of this product entirely.

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

We have, Dave. Can you give me an authority on that? I'm going to start notifying people and that would be helpful

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    We have, Dave. Can you give me an authority on that? I'm going to start notifying people and that would be helpful
    I noticed this on Alibaba.

"Notice: We won't send this item(6-7mm round akoya) to United Kingdom, please do not place order if you are in UK. "

There must be something in UK statutes that prosecutes importing this product. The Akoya claim perhaps? I noticed their rice pearl product has no notice.

Nothing I know of. Consumer law here would stop people describing freshwater pearls as akoyas but the Flim flam alibaba sellers aren't going to worry about that....
    The preserving chemicals..that would be EU wide ..same with postal restrictions on what you can ship...
    Anyone any suggestions
    I emailed the company to ask btw

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

I think everyone knows how I feel about this practice... I hate the idea of waste and abuse etc. I do feel bad that so many people are falling prey to this scam. I am sorry and hope Paypal would do the right thing.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

I could be way off base here, but I would think Govt agencies would have some interest in this even if just the thought of improper preservation of the shells. Who knows what sort diseases could be transmitted and then the many unsuspecting people handling said shells...

Nothing I know of. Consumer law here would stop people describing freshwater pearls as akoyas but
    the Flim flam alibaba sellers aren't going to worry about that....
    The preserving chemicals..that would be EU wide ..same with postal restrictions on what you can ship...
    Anyone any suggestions
    I emailed the company to ask btw

Unfortunately many of the people jumping on this bandwagon are the usual get rich quick types. I know that sounds a bit cynical but when something sounds too good to be true it usually is, and these people are seeing an easy buck

The ad on Alibaba claims the oysters are treated with "edible alcohol", which is bogus. Apart from the confusion between edible and potable, I assume they are suggesting ethanol. To that end, I call BS because ethanol really smells of solvent, even when mixed with water in equal parts.

Besides that, ethanol is illegal to ship in samples, no less in the absence of MSDS.

There is no possible way mollusk soft tissues can remain in room temperature for weeks, even months without high level fixes. The stuff I use is made by the lab that receives the samples. It's really expensive, even in 1 gram vials. It's like USD $70/oz. There's no way I can remotely come close to the $1.50 cost per sample of a 30g object, which is still very volatile in open air. No less accompanied by the labor intensity of rearing a hatchery borne animal, inserting a small pearl, vacuum packaging and marketing.

All that said, I'm highly suspicious these are brominated.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Exactly as CathyK said...the weight is concrete evidence that the box could not have contained what was ordered. I'm sure the police couldn't be bothered if they refused to take a complaint. You need to push this.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Sadly, unlikely any police will be interested in pursuing. However, Dave has made great points about pollution and contamination concerns and regulatory agencies who might have an interest in chasing this scam. More directly, both shipping companies and credit card companies used will usually get involved with concrete evidence in hand.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Default Video

Yep, that's what we always do. We snap pictures, then start recording the outer box and continually while we weigh, remove items and check them off our invoice. I strongly suggest others do it.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyKeshi View Post
    MyPearls, I have 26 years in shipping and handling experience. I recommend you video and still photograph that package and label, on a scale, showing the package weight ... UNOPENED. That should document the weight of the package versus the contents in case of a dispute. Then do the same photographs of the box and the contents laid out next to the box. Good luck to you; please come back and let us know how you make out.

Our shipment was received and all contents were inside. Do you consider it a scam if these companies disclose said details in this thread?