Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Vacuum packed oyster opening parties on Facebook

Hi can anyone tell me if the vacuum packed Akoya sea water oyster Pearls from Japan that guarantee a pearl in every shell are originally grown in the host oyster or "placed" in the vacuum packed oyster? It seems to good to be true to get a pearl in every oyster, that's perfectly round and sometimes has twins and sometimes triplets. Also can someone tell me how they are so cheap? Are they nucleated with a plastic bead. Has anyone cut one open? I have seen lots of oyster opening parties on Facebook live and am sceptical

Default Oyster opening parties on Facebook

Are the pearls produced from the oysters faux or real? Are the pearls implanted into the host oyster, or cultivated in the host oyster? How can a Perfectly round Pearl be guaranteed in each oyster? Are the Pearls nucleated with mother of pearl shell, a freshwater pearl or a plastic bead?. Most oyster opening parties claim their oysters are Akoya seawater grade AAA from Japan. Is this true as very cheap to buy wholesale.
    Here is a picture from a oyster opening party on Facebook. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Welcome, Sally2016!

The pearls are real, cultured Chinese freshwater pearls (in the case of the black ones, they are dyed) and typically they are placed in akoya (saltwater) oyster shells to make it seem as though they originally were cultured in the host oysters. The shells are treated chemically, the oysters are dead.

The pearls are inexpensive. Chinese cultured freshwater pearls are very abundant! Whatever value the finished jewelry has is in the setting.

We've had some other informative threads recently about these types of pearls, which you may enjoy reading:

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/sh...-Vantel-pearls

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/sh...highlight=scam

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/sh...r-jewelry-good

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Even when packed up individually in a box and with a plated fitting these things cost $1 or so on Aliexpress
    Avoid would be my recommendation

Looking at the picture of pearls would you say these are freshwater pearls or seawater pearls nucleated with a plastic bead to give the round appearance? The party hosts are saying they are grade AAA Akoya seawater pearls from a wholesaler in Japan

Definitely Chinese freshwater pearls. Akoya pearls do not come in natural pink and lavender colors, while freshwaters do, commonly.

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sally2016 View Post
    Looking at the picture of pearls would you say these are freshwater pearls or seawater pearls nucleated with a plastic bead to give the round appearance? The party hosts are saying they are grade AAA Akoya seawater pearls from a wholesaler in Japan
    Either the party host is being lied to or the host is misrepresenting them. They are not from Japan. They are not akoya. They are not saltwater. They are all commercial grade Chinese freshwater pearls and two of them are dyed.

Jeremy what value would you put on these pearls in the picture? And how are they nucleated? I was told my pearls from an oyster opening party on Facebook are Akoya and worth about £45 each.

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Jeremy what value would you put on these pearls in the picture? And how are they nucleated? I was told my pearls from an oyster opening party on Facebook are Akoya and worth about £45 each.
    They are nucleated with a tissue graft are are not round. That is important because that means they are necklace material and not loose grade, which is much more expensive and typically reserved for earrings, pendants and rings. I am guessing they are in the 6-7 mm range.

Wholesale, they are worth less than a dollar apiece. In a retail environment (in a strand) maybe $2-$4 apiece.

How much would a good quality Akoya pearl cost for a bulk order of 100 undrilled?
    Last edited by Sally2016; 11-07-2016 at 09:37 PM.

would you say these freshwater pearls are nucleated with mother of Pearl Shell or a plastic bead? What are good quality loose seawater Pearls nucleated with?

Sally, as Jeremy said in post #9, these freshwater pearls have a tissue graft nucleus-- no bead of any kind inside. Just a bit of mantle tissue from a donor mussel.

Akoya pearls, regardless of quality, are nucleated with a bead made from thick freshwater shells from American rivers.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

If we've not done so maybe we can post pictures of the end result (not the brands, cans, bags etc) but the plated cages and pearls, might be a good reference to go along with the text references.

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Plenty of listings on alibaba.com if you do a search for wish pearl
    Here's just the first up
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...324447156.html

Are the pearls produced from the oysters faux or real? Are the pearls implanted into the host oyster, or cultivated in the host oyster? How can a Perfectly round Pearl be guaranteed in each oyster? Are the Pearls nucleated with mother of pearl shell, a freshwater pearl or a plastic bead?. Most oyster opening parties claim their oysters are Akoya seawater grade AAA from Japan. Is this true as very cheap to buy wholesale.
    Here is a picture from a oyster opening party on Facebook. What do you think?
    Can anyone tell me how you go about ordering pearls for the pearl parties like the ones they do on Facebook? Seems like a good business to get into!